Budget Rental - Maui & Honolulu - taxi availability to offices?

spazwok

Hi

We have booked some car rentals for our upcoming roundtrip to Hawaii with Princess cruises.

I believe in Maui and Honolulu Budget does not offer shuttles to take passengers to the airport locations to collect that cars, which means we will need to get a taxi.

I was just wondering from previous experiences, are there plenty of taxis at the port to take us to the location (West Maui Airport & Honolulu Intl Airport)? And also to get back from the airport?

I would guess from looking at the distance on the map we wouldn't probably be paying more than $20 each way but let me know if I am completely incorrect!! :)

Thanks in advance!

Alissha - Try renting through Discount Hawaii Car Rental. Click on their section on cruise ship passengers. You should be able to get a free shuttle from the chosen car rental company to their offices in both Maui and Honolulu. We have always had free shuttle service in Maui and Honolulu. Also, in Honolulu, Enterprise is just a few blocks from the pier - walkable unless you have mobility problems, but they also have a free shuttle. And in Lahaina, Maui, I believe Hertz has their office fairly near the pier as well, although I'm not sure of that. Hope this helps, and have a great cruise.

We rented cars at 4 of the ports and there were plenty of free shuttles to take people to all of the rental offices at the airport. I wouldn't recommend doing an airport rental at Kona though, but at the hotel located right across from the port. The airport is a distance from the port. Budget is owned by Avis now and the shuttle will take you to either of the offices.

The shuttles were making round trips constantly during the time the ship was in port.

B. Cole

Hi

We have booked some car rentals for our upcoming roundtrip to Hawaii with Princess cruises.

I believe in Maui and Honolulu Budget does not offer shuttles to take passengers to the airport locations to collect that cars, which means we will need to get a taxi.

I was just wondering from previous experiences, are there plenty of taxis at the port to take us to the location (West Maui Airport & Honolulu Intl Airport)? And also to get back from the airport?

I would guess from looking at the distance on the map we wouldn't probably be paying more than $20 each way but let me know if I am completely incorrect!! :)

Thanks in advance!

Alisha - I also rented from Discount Hawaii car rentals for $29 for a compact. So for the price of a taxi ride to Budget which would probably be closer to $30 by the way cause they're expensive over there, it makes more sense to choose a car rental company that offers free shuttles from Lahaina to their office. The car rental shuttles that I saw at the dock in Lahaina were Hertz, Alamo, Enterprise, and the one we rented from Dollar. There might have been others but those were the shuttles that I personally saw while waiting for the Dollar shuttle.

As for Honolulu - just about every car rental company was sending shuttles. Ditch Budget and the taxi fee and find one with a free shuttle. In our case we used Thrifty, one that we booked through the Hawaii discount car rentals website.

we used either dollar or Thrifty in all the ports on our sept 2012 cruise on rhapsody of the seas (Hilo, kona, lahaina, nawiliwili, Waikiki) and there were shuttle buses there to pick us up at every port. There were different shuttles for the airport and Waikiki at Honolulu. super friendly and efficient service in every single spot!

It was great to have our own wheels to explore where we wished & proved to be much more cost effective than excursions.

Archived