Travel Insurance

Busymomof4

Without knowing where/when you're going, I really can't answer that. Costs, for me, have ranged from about $30-$130/person. Compare the multiple policies at the site below. Not just on price alone...but on what the policy actually provides:

http://www.insuremytrip.com

Thank you. I will check out that website. We are sailing on the Imagination 5 night to Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios 10/10. :) We have been on the Pride, Destiny, and Sensation and have had a blast each time. I didn't purchase the insurance for any of the previous trips but the more I read on here the more I think it would be a good idea.

Looking to purchase travel insurance for our cruise in October. We have 6 in our family with kids ranging in age from 9-17. How much do you usually pay for insurance for your families?

Thanks!

It's probably going to depend on the ages of the kids. Travelex covers kids UNDER 16 for free so that may end up being your best bet. It sounds like either two or three of the kids will be free.

Otherwise, the premiums are based on the travelers' ages and the trip cost to be insured so price comparisons won't mean much without knowing those details. A 30 year old on a two week sailing with Crystal will pay way more than a 75 year old on a three night sailing with Carnival. Try http://www.insuremytrip.com for price info.

I've been very pleased with the Travelex Travel Lite policies in the past. I just purchased another one for myself and my husband, our four children, and 3 of their friends. All totaled, the policy for 9 travelers came to $374. .

Without knowing where you're going, I really can't answer that. Costs, for me, have ranged from about $30-$130/person. Compare the multiple policies at the site below. Not just on price alone...but on what the policy actually provides:

http://www.insuremytrip.com

wow there's so many to chose from. We've purchased our flights through travelocity, booked hotel on our own, booked cruise through Local TA. we'll be staying 2 nights pre-cruise in Cocoa Beach. ANyone have any suggestions on "which" company/policies are adequate. When is the best time to purchase the insurance, ASAP or just closer to trip time.

thanks

One thing that's important to me is "pre-existing condition" coverage. Some policies have it...others don't. In all cases, you have to buy the insurance not long after your initial deposit. Others find other portions of the policies more important than me.

At Insuremytrip you can get "thumbmail" descriptions of each policy....and whether that section is your primary/secondary insurance during your vacation period. If it's "secondary", your main homeowner's/health plan has to make a decision to pay/not pay before the travel insurer pays anything. As such, less paperwork/hassle if "primary".

Many who I've spoken with like TravelGuard/Travelex/CSA/Access America for their comprehensive policies. But, your needs may well be filled by a different company's policy.

One thing that's important to me is "pre-existing condition" coverage. Some policies have it...others don't. In all cases, you have to buy the insurance not long after your initial deposit. Others find other portions of the policies more important than me.

At Insuremytrip you can get "thumbmail" descriptions of each policy....and whether that section is your primary/secondary insurance during your vacation period. If it's "secondary", your main homeowner's/health plan before the travel insurer pays anything. As such, less paperwork/hassle if "primary".

Many who I've spoken with like TravelGuard/Travelex/CSA/Access America for their comprehensive policies. But, your needs may well be filled by a different company's policy.

thanks, when you say buy the insurance not long after the initial deposit, do you mean the deposit for this insurance, or the deposit on the cruise?

thanks

In order for Travel to waive any pre-existing conditions, the insurance must be purchased within 21 days of making your initial trip deposit.

I simply add up all the expenses that we would lose if we had to cancel (i.e., cruise fare, airfare, prepaid excursions that are non-refundable, etc.). Precruise hotels depends on their cancellation policy. After I add this all together, I make sure I get a policy that will cover all those expenses. I usually look for one that covers at least up to $50,000.00 in medical expenses.

So since I've already paid for the cruise more than 21 days ago, does that mean I cannot get travel insurance now?

You can. It just won't have the "pre-existing conditions" part. But it'll have all other coverage.

PLEASE get the insurance!!! Do a search on insurance and you will hear horror stories!!! you just never know, a simple trip and fall, an accident on an excursion, etc. you just never know when it will be YOU that needs to be airlifted... at about $30K a pop, and chances are, your insurance won't pay for it... worse yet, being stuck in a hospital in another country... there are just too many things that COULD happen, and $40 can give you peace of mind;... think of the money you waste on silly stuff, $40 is nothing compared to some of the silly things we waste money on!!!

In order for Travel to waive any pre-existing conditions, the insurance must be purchased within 21 days of making your initial trip deposit.

Be sure to check the individual policies for when you must make the purchase. I think with some with companies you have to buy the insurance within 14 days. They vary from policy to policy.

Heidi, yes that is true. I think Travelex is one of the most liberal in that they allow you 21 days between time of deposit and actually purchasing the insurance in order to waive pre-existing conditionds. Most others have to be purchased from 7-14 days.

Archived