Up-Sell on a Kids Sail Free Promo

FB

Booked an inside guarantee on the Dec 2nd Dawn sailing. Got a really great price and the kids were free.

What I'm wondering is if I now want to upgrade my room do we have to pay the additional 3rd/4th person fees.

Example

1st/2nd ($449.00) + 3rd/4th ($0) = $898.00 + taxes

Family Suite is now priced as follows

1st/2nd ($1049.00) + 3rd/4th (299.00) = $2696.00 + taxes

So would I pay $2098 + taxes or $2696.00 + taxes.

So would the upgrade cost me $1200 or $1798?

Thanks

From what I've read, you typically lose promotions from your original booking when you change your reservation - unless NCL calls you and offers you an upsell. I would assume the upgrade would include the costs of the 3rd/4th person.

From what I've read, you typically lose promotions from your original booking when you change your reservation - unless NCL calls you and offers you an upsell. I would assume the upgrade would include the costs of the 3rd/4th person.

That was my fear. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. I might wait until a couple days before the cruise and they might be more willing to wheel and deal.

Thanks

Booked an inside guarantee on the Dec 2nd Dawn sailing. Got a really great price and the kids were free.

What I'm wondering is if I now want to upgrade my room do we have to pay the additional 3rd/4th person fees

Thanks

I read of someone keeping the kids free and upgrading. Then someone on my roll call upgraded and kept the kids free promo.

The first time she called, they told her the kids would have to pay, so if that is the answer you get, call again or speak to a supervisor.

You get to keep the kids sail free promotion. I know because I booked using the kids sail free promotion and subsequently upgraded my booking to a higher cabin category without having to pay the $299.00 for the third passenger.

The example you gave, however, is not an upsell but a straight upgrade at publichsed rate. If NCL calls with an upsell at a heavily discounted rate (such as additional $600.00 to move to SJ instead of the $1,200.00 market rate), I don't know if you will have to forfeit the promotion benefits to take advantage of the discounted upsell price. You can ask the agent that question when and if NCL calls you with an upsell. I know with Carnival, you keep the benefits of whatever promotion you booked under when you upsell to a higher suite, and I suspect NCL will do the same but can't say from personal experience if it does.

Edited by PCHENG

You get to keep the kids sail free promotion. I know because I booked using the kids sail free promotion and subsequently upgraded my booking to a higher cabin category without having to pay the $299.00 for the third passenger.

The example you gave, however, is not an upsell but a straight upgrade at publichsed rate. If NCL calls with an upsell at a heavily discounted rate (such as additional $600.00 to move to SJ instead of the $1,200.00 market rate), I don't know if you forfeit the promotion benefits in that case.

I tried to rename the subject as I did mean both upgrade and up-sell.

Good to know I'm going to see what I can find out tomorrow.

Thanks

We recently paid to upgrade our balcony to a suite. When we were first quoted the price they wanted to charge 399 for our infant who is going, when originally she was 175. They said they now charge full third person fairs for infants. After speaking to my PCC about why that didn't seem right to me since all I wanted was to pretend I booked the suite orginally and pay the full price for it.... he put me on hold and called customer service. It took awhile, he came back and had the price adusted so that I didn't pay any more for the infant- only the difference in the first two people in the cabin.

We booked a family balcony in May. Cancelled and rebooked on the kids sail free promo. When the rate of a mini came down to what we paid for the balcony a few weeks ago, I asked our TA to see if he could get us the upgrade. The first time he came back, we were only offered $75 in SBC. I asked him to try again as I heard it really just depended who he happed to get at NCL. Next day he let me know we had been moved from a B2 to an M2 at no additional cost. We leave on the Epic in 20 days and counting....

If I were you, I would ask again. What do you have to lose?

My TA has definitely earned my future business! And I will refer my friends to him (sorry it's against CC policy to do that here).

Happy sailing...

Robin

Had my TA call and they will not charge us additional for the kids.

Now the question is do I pull the trigger.

SJ is only $999.00. Seems like a hell of a deal. However I only paid $479.00 so it's still a good chunk of change to upgrade.

From what I can tell there are still at least 5 SJ and 8 SD suites still available for Dec 2nd. Anybody ever had any luck calling in and offering less than what they are asking?

You might think they would want these filled I guess it just depends on how much it costs them to run the suite.

Wait? You got what you asked for and now you want to barter the cost? Not sure I understand? They will up sell the remaining suites before sailing. I've not know them to negotiate the cost. You could hold out for an up sell call, but they have become few and far between. The prices on the remaining suites for my cruise a week after yours, are higher now than when I booked. The cost has gone up not down. Good luck.

Wait? You got what you asked for and now you want to barter the cost? Not sure I understand? They will up sell the remaining suites before sailing. I've not know them to negotiate the cost. You could hold out for an up sell call, but they have become few and far between. The prices on the remaining suites for my cruise a week after yours, are higher now than when I booked. The cost has gone up not down. Good luck.

I confirmed that the kids won't have to pay the upgrade. I have not really asked for anything yet. I'm just determining what I'm willing to pay for the suite.

I probably would not get an upsell call since I booked through a TA and I'm on an inside guarantee (stateroom is still TBD). So I was going to see if my TA would call them with our own upsell offer.

I'm thinking I don't have much time as they are probably going to start upgrading/upselling people soon.

It appears as though there are still at least 13 suites available.

• 1 year later...

I am bringing back this old thread to see if anyone has been able to successfully upgrade their cabin (pay the difference) and keep the kids sail free promotion recently. I called and spoke to someone at the 1800 number and was told I would lose the promotion if I change category. It looks like people have been able to keep the promo in the past. I don't have a PCC as I was told a PVC booked by cruise, was told it would be no point speaking to her. Should I bother calling back and trying again or is it a waste of time?

Thanks, that's what I thought.

I would keep trying. All depends on the rep you get. They are getting desperate trying to fill our sailing. I am on the sailing as you. Prices keep coming down.

My friend was successful in upgrading to balcony from a studio and did not lose her obc and dine promo with no single supplement. I was shot down because of ksf but my TA will keep trying though. Done this twice in previous years.

Good luck! You will never know unless you try.

I am bringing back this old thread to see if anyone has been able to successfully upgrade their cabin (pay the difference) and keep the kids sail free promotion recently. I called and spoke to someone at the 1800 number and was told I would lose the promotion if I change category. It looks like people have been able to keep the promo in the past. I don't have a PCC as I was told a PVC booked by cruise, was told it would be no point speaking to her. Should I bother calling back and trying again or is it a waste of time?

For future reference, consider just starting a new thread. Most people reading this thread now will not notice that the thread is almost 1.5 years old until they get to your post and may have already responded to earlier posters who no longer care since they have long ago sailed. You may or may not get the same responses from NCL as back then. More up-to-date information will be much more reliable in the long run.

Good luck getting your upgrade. For the most part if you ask NCL for an upgrade, you lose the promo you currently have. If NCL calls you for an upsell, you keep everything you currently have. As always, there are exceptions. :)

I would keep trying... I have the best NCL agent working with us... We also booked the kids sail free promotion and we originally booked an inside room... We are now in a mini suite!!! Don't give up! If you find someone that will help you, get his name and ex. # and ask him or her if they could be your rep! I sail at the end of May and I call every 4 or 5 days and check!!! The kids sail free don't matter.... He just looks for promotions for 2 people....he has been so good to us! Do Not Give Up!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry, next time I will start a new thread.

Well, I did receive a call from a PCC tonight. He said he would see what he could do, put me on hold for a few minutes, came back and told me I would lose the promotion.

He did tell me to call closer to sailing to see if prices drop further as there are still lots of balconies available. Oh well, at least I tried and I'm still going on a cruise.

If anyone wants to share the name of a really good PCC please email me at mnjcruiser68@gmail.com as I know we can't post names on these boards.

Edited by mnjcruiser

• 1 month later...

Just tried again for my Nov 8th NCL cruise and was told not this time. Makes me wonder if it's a new policy or an agent that doesn't know their stuff.