Agadir Market

We have just returned from a cruise on Thomson Dream which stopped at Agadir, after our experience in Casablanca I was reluctant to get off the ship, however we booked the short Souks and shopping tour and I'm so glad we did, we stopped off at a Kassbah and also the Souk, we didn't find the people too pushy at either, we had an hour in each and it was approx 40 minutes each way on the coach. I can highly recommend this tour as it was not too expensive and you got to do your own thing instead of following some guide around. We managed to find time after looking round the souk to stop off and have a mint tea in one of the local cafes. I'm sure you should do the trip on your own but for piece of mind we chose the tour!

The souk is huge, they sell everything imaginable and more, locals and visitors are shopping, its mostly covered so can be dark in places, v easy to wander off into the bowels of it

all entrances are numbered so cant really get lost....just count the entrances back to the start point

I would recommend the shorex, its inexpensive, you get free time to wander the souk plus they visit a pretty craft market and refreshments are thrown in

hope this helps

We did it on our own with two teenage girls in tow (what were we thinking!) You catch a taxi and ask the driver for a specific gate ( I think it was gate 10?) When you get there you will be approached by a bloke in a leather jacket who looks totally untrustworthy but is in fact employed by the local council to show visitors around.He will take you around to wherever you want to go,probably his brother in laws spice stsll,and barter for you if you wish.At the end of it slip him some money.All in all it is possible to do on your own and it is an experience,but the place is huge so just have your wits about you.

yep...We too turned up with 2 teenage daughters in tow....I had already instructed them to COVER UP, its quite warm/stifling in there, the girls were wearing long cardis and long jeans but were still followed around by the local youths the whole time, they amassed quite a following after a while (the girls actually quite liked this....grrrr) until the youths got a bit braver and were trying to grab their arms or standing (exceptionally) close to them, literally breathing down their necks

DS and I puffed up our chests and walked about with a narrow eyed/protective look on our faces the best we could....quite entertaining really:o

some of the vendors do take some shaking off

Its an experience that’s forsure, but fun tho, we didn’t feel unsafe

I actually spent two weeks in Agadir one holiday, never ever again!

Went to the market most days, and was fine, I am a women and can speak a bit of Arabic as well, so was able to tell them where to go if they got out of order, my advice is do the tour with the ship. What really got my goat (excuse the pun) in the end was I knew we were being ripped off and yet could not stop it. :( Absolutely hate the place would never ever want to go back there as long as I live, it was the worst holiday I have ever had in my life. Yuck, Sorry but really did not like Agadir at all! Loved Marakesh but Agadir, thanks but no thanks.

Yes, I will agree that in the town of Agadir local everyday life is going on all around and yes, the markets have what i would call an authentic bustle

But

Agadir does have some redeeming features: It is basically a resort town, a huge proportion of the local inhabitants work and rely on the tourist industry

Agadir has one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, literally miles of wide golden sands and calm water, with all the usual jet ski's, boat trips, beach entertaiment available

there is a nice prom with Mediterranean style restaurants, coffee shops and shops, the further back from the prom you go the more authentic it becomes, there are some nice spas (Hamams) and beautiful inexpensive handmade leather goods for sale

I agree its not for all tastes, but don’t be put off giving it a try

I did the Destny excursion earlier this year with my (blonde haired) daughter. Mistake! We were followed all the time by several males. We felt very uncomfortable. Our coach was full and we were given 1 hour in the market. All but 1 couple were back on the bus within 15 mins. Unfortunately, this couple stayed the full hour and we had to wait in the roasting hot bus. Also, we were harrased at the kasbah on the same trip and the Fantasia show was a dissapointment, we just felt that we were being ripped off. If I ever do this itinerary again, I'll stay on the ship.

Archived