sail boat racing out of cozumel

papa4848

Has anyone done the sailboat excursion offered by HAL in Cozumel

We did it in February and it was a pretty good excursion. We have our own sail boat and have raced often ourselves, but there is something awesome about racing real honest to goodness Americas Cup 12 meter boats. I assume the same hulls are there that were in Cozumel in February. They were "True North IV" a Canadian Hull which may have used as one of the Canadian entries into the AC many years ago. It was always called "IVEY" . I am not sure if it was a test/practice hull or of it ever really raced, but some say it was the fastest 12 meter boat ever built. ((We rode Starts and Stripes and beat it) All that said its a real race.

The other hull is Dennis Conner's "Stars and Stripes". Either way as a sailor it was pretty awesome to be on those historic boats and actually operating the winches and rigging.

The morning we went the wind was very light, and initially it was questionable if we could even get the boats moving. A light breeze picked up and we got a race in.

There are a couple of issues relative to this excursion experience. The higher the wind the day and time you go the more enjoyable and exciting a race- generally. Not much anyone can do about that- it obviously nature's call. However even a light air race can be quite a tactical challange and fun from that standpoint.

The course is relatively narrow due to depth constraints for markers. The usual triangle course is narrowed as the marker bouys can not be set off the coast very far due to an extreme drop off of depth at the shelf. Thus they are confined a bit towards the shore and shalow waters where they can set the markers.

This is very much a hands on activity. Just raising the 400+ pound main can wind you (took everything 4 grown men had in them), and guys often get tasked as winch grinders.. Of course you can opt out of working and just ride if you want.

We plan to go on this excursion again this coming January on a cruise--- but we're going to book at the last second in hopes there is still room (there was plenty of room on our last visit). Our reason niot to pre- book is we want to see if the winds are up . We'd prefer not to do it again in light air.

They do this excurision several times a day and I believe something after the noon hour may offer more respectable breezes??? I am not sure if you have the option of when you can go though.

All in all it was one of the best excursions we'd ever done and if you are a sailor then it is a MUST DO on the bucket list just to ride one of those famous hulls.

Have fun!

• 11 months later...

My husband really wants to do this excursion in Cozmel. Should we check the weather first to see how the winds are? and if so, what should they be for this excursion to be really fun? Sorry have never sailed so have no idea about anything to do with sailing.

Thanks

cheerdee57

Archived