Original paintings

Chameleonish

Are there any street painters in St. Maarten? When I was in Paris I picked up a beautiful painting from a street artist for about €30 and I was hoping to get another piece on my upcoming cruise (my first! :D) for a comparable price. However, everything I've been finding talks about prints or works that cost thousands of dollars. Is it unreasonable to expect a hand-painting in the Caribbean for less than $1000? I'll also be in Nassau and St. Thomas if anyone knows about the art scene in those ports.

Thank you in advance!

It's been a few years since we've been there but there was an artist selling her paintings on Orient Beach that we bought a few small ones from. I don't remember exactly which restaurant she was set up at though. It was one with a large deck kind of in the middle of all the restaurants that she had a table set up at.

In Phillipsburg you can check out Nick Malley's place, better known as The Yoda Guy. He has a shop on Front Street where he sells his artwork and that of some other local artists. The StarWars art is usually the most expensive but the local stuff is reasonably priced.

After checking out Gary's virtual walk of Orient Beach, I'm pretty sure the artist was set up at Bikini.

It's been a few years since we've been there but there was an artist selling her paintings on Orient Beach that we bought a few small ones from. I don't remember exactly which restaurant she was set up at though. It was one with a large deck kind of in the middle of all the restaurants that she had a table set up at.

In Phillipsburg you can check out Nick Malley's place, better known as The Yoda Guy. He has a shop on Front Street where he sells his artwork and that of some other local artists. The StarWars art is usually the most expensive but the local stuff is reasonably priced.

After checking out Gary's virtual walk of Orient Beach, I'm pretty sure the artist was set up at Bikini.

Great! I was thinking about going there anyway and did not know about any art being there. I appreciate the tip! I will be sure to check it out. :)

• 4 weeks later...

If you're going to be visiting Orient Beach, the store on the Club Orient Resort property usually has offerings of local art.

We've been approached while on Orient several times by an artist who does postcard sized pieces for a very reasonable price. Don't remember specifics about prices, but we bought several as gifts.

gary

p.s. My recollection is that she had a long braided ponytail.

Will be sailing on March 23.

We enjoyed a ship excursion in St. Marten on Celebrity that did an island art tour, and there was a good range of prices. You will be able to get original works in the hundreds, not thousands . Of course there are the thousands too!

I recall one studio we were at I was able to buy one for about $200 and another person on the tour bought a huge one for $1000. Good thing there was lots of room in the minibus!

I haven't found a tour like it yet on other islands but I'm still looking.. St. Thomas would be a likely spot I would hope! I did find a good artist in a kiosk near the port in Tortola too, but haven't been there in a long while.

-Pam

Archived