All Inclusive

I read on here about an all inclusive resort that you can take a bus to when you dock at Progresso. I was hoping to find someone who had tried this recently. Are there any water toys for kids/teens? We have three teens, and are wondering if this place would interest them or if they would get bored. Also-how was the food? Is the price the same for teens as for adults? They are 14 and 17.

Our alternate plan is visiting Dzibilchaltun. How long does this take (going by taxi and hiring a guide)?

If anyone has been there recently, I would appreciate your opinions. Thanks!

When we sailed the Glory 4/9, there was a man right at the pier selling tours. One of them was the Reef Yucatan which departed at 10:00 a.m. The cost was $25 per person and didn't include lunch. We are not big drinkers so $50 seemed a bit high but after we went into town, we wished we had have gone.

I can't imagine the economic impact Carnival pulling out of Progresso will have...plus all of the money that has been spent on the pier and shops.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Hotel Reef Yucatan and really loved it. The shuttle bus driver at the dock told us about the tour. You pay $30.00 per person and $15.00 for minors. The tour bus is air conditioned and very comfortable. You ride 30 minutes to the resort and the tour guide tells you about Progreso as you ride along..very interesting. The resort was beautiful...gorgeous pool, crystal clear water, hamocks on the beach, very attentive waiters. ACtivities include volleyball on the beach, soccer, kayak, wind surfing, and water aerobics. The buffet was $10.00 per person, which included hamburgers, hot dogs, nachos, and other Mexican food. The food was not exceptional but good for a buffet. The hamburgers and hot dogs are cooked as you wait. The Xcambo ruins are nearby and they will take all who want to go as part of the tour. I would reccommend it.

When we sailed the Glory 4/9, there was a man right at the pier selling tours. One of them was the Reef Yucatan which departed at 10:00 a.m. The cost was $25 per person and didn't include lunch. We are not big drinkers so $50 seemed a bit high but after we went into town, we wished we had have gone.

I can't imagine the economic impact Carnival pulling out of Progresso will have...plus all of the money that has been spent on the pier and shops.

Can you furnish more details on Carnival pulling out of Progresso?

What port is to replace it on the Elation out of Galveston?

We are booked in September and we are planning our shore activities now.

• 2 years later...

Our party did this excursion in December through Autoprogresso. We had a party of 18 and half the party wanted to do ruins and the others wanted the beach. We ended up for $45 adults and $30 children~ ruins, flamingo bird reserve and the hotel reef yucatan. This ended up being the perfect day. The kids ages 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 14, 15, 15 did well on the ruins excursion and absolutely loved the hotel. It has sections in the pool area for the younger ones. The beach had tons of shells that they collected. They rented paddle tricycles, kayaks and the girls got massages on the beach for $15. They also loved the food- they had a grill were they made burgers and fajita's and a buffet that had nachos.

Our party did this excursion in December through Autoprogresso. We had a party of 18 and half the party wanted to do ruins and the others wanted the beach. We ended up for $45 adults and $30 children~ ruins, flamingo bird reserve and the hotel reef yucatan. This ended up being the perfect day. The kids ages 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 14, 15, 15 did well on the ruins excursion and absolutely loved the hotel. It has sections in the pool area for the younger ones. The beach had tons of shells that they collected. They rented paddle tricycles, kayaks and the girls got massages on the beach for $15. They also loved the food- they had a grill were they made burgers and fajita's and a buffet that had nachos.

Where/When did you set up your tour? What was the time frame of the tour? Was the Reef Yucatan crowded? Was the Reef Yucatan beach better than the beach at Progreso? Thank you in advance for your info!:)

You can take a free shuttle bus from the ship to the Casa de Cultura in Progreso where you'll find all kinds of tours. Autoprogreso is well sign-posted. The beaches in Telchac are very clean, the resort is never very crowded - even when they have a full house of guests and lots of cruisers - and there's lots for the kids to do. You can borrow boogie boards, volleyballs, soccer balls, footballs, etc. (just need to turn in an ID). There's a kid's club with a mini-pool and slide for little ones, and the food and drinks are great.

You can take a free shuttle bus from the ship to the Casa de Cultura in Progreso where you'll find all kinds of tours. Autoprogreso is well sign-posted. The beaches in Telchac are very clean, the resort is never very crowded - even when they have a full house of guests and lots of cruisers - and there's lots for the kids to do. You can borrow boogie boards, volleyballs, soccer balls, footballs, etc. (just need to turn in an ID). There's a kid's club with a mini-pool and slide for little ones, and the food and drinks are great.

YucatanToday. I have been singing the praises of your fine publication/visitor's guide for years. In my two port calls to Progreso and the subsequent three, two week vacations to Merida and the Yucatan, Yucatan Today has been a godsend. I've traveled to some small rural towns (Santa Elaina, Ticul) and even down to Campeche with the help of your guide. Thanks to your team.

BTW. Yucatan Today may be the very best visitor's guide I've seen for any destination. I also have two of your publisher's art prints.

• 3 weeks later...

We went to the Reef Yucatan through Autoprogreso. They had several people with thier clip boards at the pier showing off where the tours would go. They were past the spot where all of the carnival tours were gathering. We paid cash to him and received color coded wrist bands. If you happen to miss them, the bus from the pier to progreso is run by Autoprogreso. They will talk about each of their tours on this 5-10 min ride. We docked at 7, but didn't get off the ship until about 8:30. We were told by the guy at the pier that the tour would leave at 10:45. When we took the Autoprogreso bus to town, they said we would leave at 9:45. We were all on the same time zone, so I'm not sure why there was confusion. While we waited, we took the double decker tour bus for $2 around progreso. We left progreso at 9:45 as stated by the tour guide on the bus to town. It was about a 30 min ride. Not much to see on the way there. Atleast it was on an airconditioned bus with a restroom. The resort was very nice. The food and drinks were included for the $45pp price. The guy bringing us drinks never let our glass become empty. I tipped him each time, maybe that helped his eagerness to serve:D . The food wasn't really that great, in my opinion. You could also order something off of the menu for extra, but we didn't. The water was nothing like the blue water in the carribean, but the beach was atleast clean. It was much nicer than corona beach at the end of the pier. We were told that the bus would pick us up at 1:30. I thought we could stay as long as we wanted, but by that time I was ready to go and didn't question it. The only downfall to this tour was the ride back to the pier with people that wanted to make sure they had all the alcohol they could drink. Other than that, we had a very nice, relaxing day at the beach.

I didn't notice if they were taking credit cards. I saw that a lot of places in Mexico did take VISA. They may not take discover or american express though. I would rather use cash in Mexico, personally. I had my VISA for back-up, if needed.

There are 5 of us....all in our 40s-60s and we just want a nice clean resort to spend the day and enjoy good drinks. Do I understand that youa re only there from 10:00 until 1:30 and that the cost is $45 per adult? How was the pool area? I've heard that the water in Progreso isn't pretty and clear like it is in Cozumel, and I'm not a beach fan as I don't care for the sand all over me, so this sounds PERFECT! A friend of ours just came back and told us to AVOID Corona Beach at ALL costs, so we are trying to line something up before we leave. Is it possible to purchase this day pass before leaving home? Thanks for everyone's help!!:D

Yes, that's how long we were able to stay there. I didn't try to arrange to stay longer, it may be possible. It was $45pp. You may be able to book online before you go, but I didn't have any problems finding them in Progreso. The pool looked nice, but we didn't get in. The beach was a lot nicer than corona beach. If you would like, I can email you some pics:

blakeamy@bellsouth.net

• 3 weeks later...

We stopped at Progresso last year, and are booked again for April. This is the suprise stop, we expected to be bored. But after a day of running all over Cozumel, we found Progresso to be a lot of fun. We just went to the beach (within walking distance of bus drop off) after shopping a little. The shopping was MUCH less expensive than Cozumel, and I think our whole group (7 people) spent a total of $120 on the beach that day, drinking margarita, having lunch and everything! It was very inexpensive, relaxing, and we loved it!;)

OK....I wanted to write just a little about what a SUPER FANTASTIC FUN day we spent in Progreso at the Reef Yucatan Resort!!! I still cannot believe the AWESOME time we had!!! I've visited MANY all-inclusive resorts in Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Mayan Riveria...NOTHING compares!!! From the beauty and cleanliness of the resort, to the DELICIOUS food and plentiful and flowing drinks....but above all.....INDESCRIBABLE OUTSTANDING SERVICE we all had!!!! WOO HOO!!! Cannot IMAGINE a better day and we will for SURE be planning another cruise that has Progreso on it's itinerary and visiting Oscar and the crew ASAP!!! :D :D

Oscar, Roberto, Susan, Francisco (and ALL the other bar waiters), Chefs (and all the waiters) .....EVERYONE WAS AWESOME and we cannot WAIT to go back!!! If you are looking for 5* accommodations and service...THIS IS IT!!!

There were 10 in our group. We walked to the main square and rented a van and driver for the day for $80 USD... NOTE - make SURE your driver knows where he is taking you BEFORE you leave as most do NOT speak English and our driver misunderstood where he was to take us...needless to say communicating was close to impossible but we were FINALLY able to get through to him that we did NOT want to go to Merida, but to Reef Resort....it cost us about 40 minutes of our day to correct that mistake, but no harm was done and a FANTASTIC time was enjoyed by ALL!!!!! We were able to spend 6 hours at the resort instead of the 3 hours offered by AutoProgreso and the Cruiseline (for MUCH less $$$$, too!!!) WOO HOO I do love it when a plan comes together!!!!

HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A GREAT TIME IN PROGRESO!!!!

Thanks to Yucatan Today for the email address for Oscar....I OWE YOU BIG TIME!!!!:D :D :D

What activities are included in the all inclusive food and drink package? Also I drink but hubby does not and I will have 11 year old son with us. Is there different price levels for children and also adults not drinking alcohol? Thanks. I contacted the resort by email but they wrote back saying to go to Auto Progresso and get rates there? I was hoping to rent a car and drive ourselves there.

when I first emailed the resort, the online service told me the same thing; however, I had a group of 10, so that could be the difference....also we wanted to spend our entire day at the resort (not just 3 hours)....and to answer your question, the email I received from Auto Progreso quoted different prices for children.....I have NO info regarding renting a car in Progreso.....sorry.....we just rented a taxi and driver for the day....I would NOT want to drive in Mexico as I don't want to spend time being lost??:eek: HAHA Also...can't really give you info regarding activities as we didn't want to do anything except eat, drink and be merry!!

If you google Reef Yucatan Resort, there should be a list of all the activities the resort offers. HAVE FUN and please give my best to Oscar!!:D

when I first emailed the resort, the online service told me the same thing; however, I had a group of 10, so that could be the difference....also we wanted to spend our entire day at the resort (not just 3 hours)....and to answer your question, the email I received from Auto Progreso quoted different prices for children.....I have NO info regarding renting a car in Progreso.....sorry.....we just rented a taxi and driver for the day....I would NOT want to drive in Mexico as I don't want to spend time being lost??:eek: HAHA Also...can't really give you info regarding activities as we didn't want to do anything except eat, drink and be merry!!

If you google Reef Yucatan Resort, there should be a list of all the activities the resort offers. HAVE FUN and please give my best to Oscar!!:D

Thanks !

The Reef Yucatan charges $37.50 per person for a day pass, regardless of alcohol. Children 8 and under are free.

The entertainment staff holds beach volleyball and pool volleyball games, soccer, American football, etc. They also have some fun pool games. There is a kid's club with a small swimming pool and slide, and beach toys for little kids.

A banana boat ride is available, as are sea kayak rentals, for an additional cost.

Archived