Snorkeling in St Thomas or Gr. Turk?

AmazingTrans

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We snorkeled from shore with our own gear right at the port. We went all of the way out to where there was a white PVC type pipe sticking out of the water. It was there to mark the end of the snorkel area. We did not see much coral, but there were some rocks for the fish to hide in and a sunken anchor and cannon. We didn't expect to see much, but were surprised to see as many fish as we did see. Snorkeling was definitely better in St. Thomas, but it was decent here as well. (of course the dive we did here two years ago was the best :D)

I like it. I plan on doing both on my upcoming cruise.

We were at Grand Turk and St. Thomas on our last cruise and BOTH had amazing snorkeling.

In St. Thomas we found transportation at the pier and had them take us to a beach for snorkeling. It was beautiful! And easy to get to the reef from the beach. We went to Coki Point. The view, the beach, and the snorkeling were absolutely fantastic!!!!

In Grand Turk, we rented golf carts so we could tour the island at our leisure - which was a blast to begin with. We ended up at Pillory Beach. We went out on a boat and snorkeled at the reef drop off which was a unique experience. The rest of our family snorkeled from the beach and had a great time. The water was amazing! My in-laws have been to Hawaii and said the water in Grand Turk was as beautiful as Hawaii.

I am not sure of the availability of snorkel gear or beach chairs at these beaches as we have our own snorkel gear and take it with us. We also take a flat sheet to use in the sand so do not need chairs.

Good luck! I hope you have a great time. To date these are 2 of our favorite ports. We loved Grand Turk so much we still fantasize about finding a way to relocate to there! And are returning there on Carnival Breeze next year!!!

Archived