What's there to do in Hawaii?

dmk

I'm very excited about our cruise to Hawaii next year. We've never been to Hawaii before. There are quite a few of you who have been to Hawaii before. I would really like some suggestions of what to do in each port.

We like to do things on our own, independant of the cruise line. However, we have no idea what the main things to try and see in each port.

Can you help me?

Be sure not to miss a helicopter ride in Kauai. I went with Jack Harter (independent of the ship) and it was the BEST experience! My first time in a helicopter. Our pilot narrated the whole thing and we could ask questions during the flight, too. I'd been hesitant to spend the $$ but it was worth every cent!!

We didn't do the helicopter but I heard and saw pics that it's a must do! Waimea Canyon in Kauai and the whale watching in Maui were good too. Also any tour you do in Hilo goes to the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut factory. By all means buy your nuts from there! Talk about cheaper than over the internet!

Have lots of fun!

Anita

Hi dmk...

On our last cruise to Hawaii, we just toured the islands in cabs, but our first cruise there we spent more time, and here are some good places to visit:

On Oahu...Iolani Palace, The Polynesian Culture Center, Punchbowl Cemetary and the Arizona Memorial.

On Kauai...Waimea Canyon, and a helicopter tour of Na Pali Coast.

On Maui...Maui Tropical Plantation and Ioa Valley Rainforest or State Park area.

On Hilo...Volcanoes National Park.

On Kona...my DH took the Atlantis submarine tour, and he did like that.

It's also fun to attend a luau. The one we were at on our first trip there was on Maui by the Outrigger hotel, and it was wonderful. I'm not sure if it's there anymore, but quite a few people like the Old Lahaina Luau on Maui or Germaine's on Oahu. Hope you have a great cruise!

Hi Shari!

I lovvvvvvvvvve Hawaii!! My son lives on Oahu and I visit every opportunity I get! There are excellent travel books for Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island. They are probably available at your local library. Their title is something like "Maui Revealed", The Big Island Revealed, etc. They will tip you off to the best places for each island, including some really remote places that most people would miss.

Personal favorites: Kauai ( my favorite island) drive to Waimea Canyon, helicopter ride, drive to Ke'e beach ( nice snorkeling and beautiful scenery)

When renting a car, don't go with a compact or it might have trouble making the climb to the top of the canyon. Alamo often has great deals...

Oahu: Pearl Harbor, Blow Hole....beautiful drive, Haunama Bay (snorkeling), and of course visiting my son:D

Big Island: volcano national park, and the lava flow at night

Do check out the books......they are terrific and very entertaining.

Hope this helps and enjoy your trip to paradise! Diane

We have been to Hawaii seven times and have done almost everything, but the one thing that stands out in my mind as a must do is whale watching cruise in Maui depending on when you sail, the whales are there from Nov. to May. We went on a Catamoran from Lahana that went over to Lani and we snorkeled off the coast of Lani and on the way back went whale watching and actually had a whale go under our boat it was incredable. Some of the best things you can do for free. One time one of my sons and I walked the whole beach in Wakaki and he swam a lap in every pool along the beach.:D

We did all excursions on our own--rented a car, except in Maui the first day, where we booked the Lanai snorkel/whale watch excursion. We did that because Maui was a tender port and we used the excursion to be able to get off the ship quickly. Here's is a list of the primary things we saw/did:

Honolulu: Took Taxi to Waikiki Beach and chilled. On way back to ship, had taxi drive us up Diamond Head

Kauai (we sayed here 3 nights pre-cruise): I took the helicopter ride, DH went deep sea fishing. Drove thru Waimea Canyon (must do), Drove to the "Fantasy Island" waterfall. Golfed.

Maui: Took snorkel tour via RCL on first day. Booked Old Lahaina Luau for dinner. We were docked overnight and on day 2 drove to the Maui Ocean Center and Ioa Needle, had drinks at the Hard Rock.

Hilo: Volcano National Park (best, most awesome experience of the cruise), Macadamia Nut Factory

Kona: Golfed

so every February we are on the islands. $85 to fly between islands, so we trade Maui for Kauai for a week to see it all there. Next to Ireland, Kauai has more green than money! I'd say get a car to see the whole island tho 3/4 of it is no driveable as is Maui. So BLue Hawaiian Helicopters are the way to see it all with a video of your trip at the end, to keep remembering.

Oh Oahu, the only island I don't like as it is TOO COMMERICAL. For $1.50 PP you can ride the island circle bus. 4 hour bus trip of the whole island just like the locals. Get to talk to many of them, see their favorites sites. If you choose to get off the bus to see & do something, such as North Shore for surfing, you just pay $1.50 to board again & keep going, loads cheaper than a car rental!

All beaches in Hawaii are FREE to everyone including hotel beaches. They also must have FREE parking for locals, which is you too.

Big Island of Hawaii is Volcano National Park, 2 hours to the top & plenty of steam & suphur that gets folks sick. SO be careful. Tours of Mac Nut plants (which is Gomer Pyle star Jim Nabors owns the company and his property near Hana on Maui is all the trees). One big rip off in Hawaii is coffee, especially KONA in Kona. $25/lb is crazy.

Maui - hit K-Mart on Dairy Rd for bargains in coffee & other souvenoirs. Lahaina has the harbor for whale watching Nov-June (used to be Dec-April but the babies are now the parents & enjoy it). Great shoppings, restaurants, loads of history for the free partaking. See the tree from the first Jurassaic Park. (Everyone sitting in it with the baby dianassour with the cold). Parasailing on the beaches when the whales are in Alaska. All beaches are FREE so just jump right in wherever you please. A ride up Haleakala 10,038 feet to see the crater the size of Manhattan, or ride RT 30 up W Maui Mountain to go horseback riding down the volcano (this is where we have a timeshare) and where Chris Kristopherson lives in a home he bought for $35,000 in the 70's that is worth $3 mil if he sold it. Hana, a very boring ride with 635 turns, 78 bridges & too many jerks that can't drive. I'd never tell folks to do it.

Any other questions, just email me.

Mahalo (which doesn't mean trash)

Hi dmk...

On our last cruise to Hawaii, we just toured the islands in cabs, but our first cruise there we spent more time, and here are some good places to visit:

On Oahu...Iolani Palace, The Polynesian Culture Center, Punchbowl Cemetary and the Arizona Memorial.

On Kauai...Waimea Canyon, and a helicopter tour of Na Pali Coast.

On Maui...Maui Tropical Plantation and Ioa Valley Rainforest or State Park area.

On Hilo...Volcanoes National Park.

On Kona...my DH took the Atlantis submarine tour, and he did like that.

It's also fun to attend a luau. The one we were at on our first trip there was on Maui by the Outrigger hotel, and it was wonderful. I'm not sure if it's there anymore, but quite a few people like the Old Lahaina Luau on Maui or Germaine's on Oahu. Hope you have a great cruise!

I agree with all that Shari provides. On the island of Maui you can also visit the grave site of Charles Lindburg and the Seven Sacred Pools and the town of Hana, wonderful experience.

We have done two cruises in hawaii feel free to check out our pictures and notes on my site

http://www.recordlady.com/Pages/CRUISES/InfinityHawaii2004/InfinityHawaii.htm

it is very practical to rent a car and drive to many sites including volcanoes national park. snorkling is always great there, you only have to go a few feet from shore to start to see the fish in waters even only 3 ft. deep.

have a great time .. this is somewhere i'd love to go again anytime.

vistadeck

Many of you have mentioned renting a car. What kind of price will I be looking at. Did you rent it from home and picked up in Hawaii or did you rent the car in Hawaii?

Author: tanman10

Date: 07/23/2004, 11:37 pm

1. Strolling waikiki beaches at night in front of hotels listening to surf and live music..

2. Luau fun with lots of people and beautiful young girls and men...

3. Shaved ice on a hot afternoon...

4. Dukes on friday night for fun and dancing

5. Going to Don Ho show to make sure he is still alive...

6. Going to Magic of Polynesia show to be amazed at illusions and dancing...

7. Smelling pulmerias...

8. Taking bus around the island and stopping where I want to discover new areas...

9. Martini at top of ala moana hotel or hanohano room atop the sheraton..

10. Drink at "House without a Key" at halekulani or mai tai at royal hawaiian at sunset..

11. Visit to Shangrila-Doris Duke estate to relive era of someone though wacky loved hawaii...

12. Cruise along coast on star of honolulu boat at night munching on buffet and staring at city lights..

13. Goto massage college in lanikai and have a massage and then lounge on beach...

14. avoid people who say waikiki sucks and just smile ))

Author: tanman10

Date: 07/23/2004, 11:37 pm

1. Strolling waikiki beaches at night in front of hotels listening to surf and live music..

2. Luau fun with lots of people and beautiful young girls and men...

3. Shaved ice on a hot afternoon...

4. Dukes on friday night for fun and dancing

5. Going to Don Ho show to make sure he is still alive...

6. Going to Magic of Polynesia show to be amazed at illusions and dancing...

7. Smelling pulmerias...

8. Taking bus around the island and stopping where I want to discover new areas...

9. Martini at top of ala moana hotel or hanohano room atop the sheraton..

10. Drink at "House without a Key" at halekulani or mai tai at royal hawaiian at sunset..

11. Visit to Shangrila-Doris Duke estate to relive era of someone though wacky loved hawaii...

12. Cruise along coast on star of honolulu boat at night munching on buffet and staring at city lights..

13. Goto massage college in lanikai and have a massage and then lounge on beach...

14. avoid people who say waikiki sucks and just smile

I'd also like to add sunsets at Magic Island. And July sunrises....every morning this month I've rolled out of bed to an incredible panorama of colors unfolding over a glassy blue Pacific Ocean. (OK at this point I'm just bragging!)

Right on, tanman. Oahu loves you too!

Taking a sailing cruise out of Waikiki and viewing the island from the water. So amazing to see a big city coming out of the water with the mountains and clouds in the background!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: carolyn

Date: 07/25/2004, 02:36 pm

Luscious pineapple

Macadamia nut pie

Coral jewelry

Rainbows

View of the ocean in one direction and the mountains in the other

Old memories of getting off the plane to join my husband who had been in Korea for a year, seeing the gorgeous tropical scenery for the first time, a year of weekends at the beach and potluck dinners with other young couples, the birth of our daughter--it's my magic place.

Walking from my apartment in Pualei Circle through Kapiolani Park to get to the beach.

Making lifelong friends.

The Iolani Palace.

Kawaiahao Church's Hawaiian & English services on Sundays.

The old Willows Restaurant

The view from Tantalus

Eating dim sum downtown

May Day is Lei Day in Hawaii & The Brothers Cazimiero & Concerts at the Waikiki Shell

The Christmas lights in Downtown Honolulu.

Eating eggs benedict at brunch at the Tahitian Lanai...sadly now gone as well...

Remembering being on Waikiki Beach my very first day living on Oahu, and thinking life doesn't get any better than this.

1. Strolling Waikiki Beach as the sun goes down and the lights come up at the resorts, with the sound of the music wafting out to the water.........

2. Swimming at Sans Souci Beach at the New Otani Kaimana

3. The panoramic view from the oceanview jr. suites at the New Otani, of the ocean, the city lights and Diamond Head as night falls.

4. The evening show at the Polynesian Cultural Center

ALL of the above, plus---

Snorkeling at Hanama Bay.

Everything about the North Shore.

Double rainbows.

Fresh pineapple ice cream.

The Arizona Memorial and Punchbowl National Cemetery.

The incredible local musicians (at least we can take their music home with us!).

Sunset ceremonies.

And...the view of Waikiki from a parasail!

hommebronze:

What a a wonderful response! You transported me to Hawaii. I can visualize all those lovely experiences...so simple, so awesome. Thanks.:)

dmk, we rented a car on each island except Oahu, where we got a bus pass that took us all over the island. Great buses!

We reserved ahead of time, online. We used Alamo in Kauai, Enterprise in Maui, and Alamo in Hilo, Hawaii. Pretty reasonable cost, much cheaper than ship's tours, and we could go wherever we wanted. I highly recommend it!

You can get car rental discounts through the Hawaii Entertainment book, by the way. We used lots of their coupons. For example, we got a two-for-one deal on the Body Glove snorkeling trip in Kona, which was fantastic.

Have a great trip!

Jan

Archived