Red October Questions

We are using RO on May 22 Sailing of the Constellation. We have altered the schedule somewhat so that we are visiting the Red October Store on the first morning. I think that I read somewhere in the last five months that their prices might be high compared to other places. Does anyone have any comments on this? Also, if a credit card is used for purchases and/or the tours, what is the extra % that is charged?

Thanks, Mary

You'll have better luck with your post if you put it in the "Baltic" port area instead of Europe. There are LOTS of RO posts there. RO advised me that the Credit Card surcharge was 3%.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marytutor:

We are using RO on May 22 Sailing of the Constellation. We have altered the schedule somewhat so that we are visiting the Red October Store on the first morning. I think that I read somewhere in the last five months that their prices might be high compared to other places. Does anyone have any comments on this? Also, if a credit card is used for purchases and/or the tours, what is the extra % that is charged?

Thanks, Mary<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The RO store prices seemed pretty comparable to what you could buy on the street. I recall them giving me a 10% discount since I used their tour company. The store itself is large and has an outstanding selection of merchandise. Our guide helped us choose good quality Matyroshka dolls since we couldn't tell the difference ourselves. From the outside, the store is fairly plain looking and seemed to be in a non-commercial neighborhood, but this seemed to be a great place to shop, given time constraints.

You should make an effort to pay in US dollars so you don't have to pay additional credit card charges. I was leery of carrying around several hundred dollars in cash, but we went to the store in the morning and I got rid of my cash in the store!

The other place we shopped in St. Petersburg was in the stalls outside of the Church on Spilled Blood. There you could haggle over price and the selection was mind boggling.

Red October is outstanding in my opinion. You will greatly enjoy the St. Petersburg experience as well. Enjoy!

the other posts are correct. Red October is a wise choice. We brought cash to buy gifts in the Red October store. Remember to bring new U.S. dollars -- no writing, old or wrinkled bills. They are afraid the bank will not take them. Your guide will get you a 10% discount at the cash register.

I recall the vendors accepting US dollars at the outdoor stalls. The vendors set up outdoors at Catherines palace and Peterhof palace also accepted dollars as did the Red October store. However, museum shops, entrance fees and restaurants would not. Our guide took us to the Hotel Europe where there was an ATM. Despite being a little leary of withdrawing roubles from a Russian ATM, we were able to take out about $50 worth of roubles. There was no problem with this and the bank didn't even charge a fee! We wanted to take home some roubles as a souvenir, even though this is prohibited by law.

To be honest I wouldnt worry too much. Its basically little souvenirs. I cant imagine dropping too mich money for anything in Russia. The store is quite nice with complementary drinks.

Jacqueline

Constellation 3/20/04

HAL Westerdam 7/30/04

Tahitian Princess August 2003

Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003

Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002

Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001

Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001

Grand Princess Med 2000

Archived