Epic Balcony Bed Position-Does it Really Make a Difference

new2crus

Thanks for all the help. I think I prefer the bed near the balcony but I decided to keep my cabin with the bed near the bath. However, looking at sdmike's photos, that sink is very close to the bed and makes the cabin look smaller. I do like the extra room near the balcony. I guess it's a personal preference.

Concerning storage

the bed closer to the bathroom has more storage space as the wardrobe/dresser next to the balcony is only half the depth(9"?) when the bed is next to the balcony.

The mini suite does not have that issue

Btw some of the full suites still have funcky bathroom set ups behind round beds with no door just a drape for the commode.

I know this is dumb but....how do you find out which bed configuration you have for a mini-suite? We just cancelled our RCCL cruise to take an Epic "Med cruise. I have only cruised on CCL and Princess so I am not familiar with the Epic. We are 3--two sisters and one SIL in our early 60's. Besides the bed placement, can anyone recommend where on the ship we should book the suite? Thanks

We'd like to try the Epic. The room configuration bothers me, though. Are you saying the shower is not in a separate room but is accessed right in that hall, but has a privacy curtain? Ack, what were they thinking?

I agree Nebr.cruiser. I don't like the bathroom open like that next to the entrance door. :eek: It is very strange to me, enough to make it a deal breaker. I'd rather be squished into the smaller separate bathrooms than have that open area for toileting and showering. I know it's a personal preference, though.

Just starting to look into an epic cruise and remember reading 2 years ago when it first sailed about the bathroom controversy. I wonder if someone could comment on the shower size on the epic....is it slightly larger than a typical cabin shower on other lines like RCL?

also sdmike....thanks for all of your time compiling so much info on the epic.I keep coming across your posts as I am searching for info. Very informative!

Yep. That's what we're saying.

We found the layout great for my family. We were able to multi-task (shower, toilet, sink and changing at the same time). It bothers others. If you are not comfortable with this setup, the Epic has other rooms that are different. Most of the suites have more traditional bathrooms.

There are lots and lots of threads about the Epic bathrooms back from 2010 when she first started sailing. It's turned into a non-issue on here (thankfully)

I know this is dumb but....how do you find out which bed configuration you have for a mini-suite? We just cancelled our RCCL cruise to take an Epic "Med cruise. I have only cruised on CCL and Princess so I am not familiar with the Epic. We are 3--two sisters and one SIL in our early 60's. Besides the bed placement, can anyone recommend where on the ship we should book the suite? Thanks

If you look on the deck plan if the circle or wave is closer to the balcony than the bed is next to the balcony.

Like cabin 9083 bed is next to balcony the cabins on either side have the beds next to the bathroom

I booked a balcony cabin on the Epic before I knew about the difference in the positioning of the bed. I have a cabin with the bed near the door and the sofa near the balcony. After reading numerous reviews, most people say this makes the room much smaller. I would like to know if it really makes a big difference. I've talked with my TA and I can change to a different cabin with the bed near the balcony without any additional cost. Should I do it or just stay with the cabin I have? Just looking for some insight from someone who may have stay in this type of cabin.

We stayed in it and yes, you do have to "take turns" going from one end of the cabin to the other. Not really a problem but what I decided made the difference was the uncomfortable couch. It was not that pleasant to sit there and gaze out through the balcony door.

It would have been much nicer to be able to lie in bed and gaze lazily out...

The balcony chairs are not made to lounge on and I like to laze about while on vacation!

Just starting to look into an epic cruise and remember reading 2 years ago when it first sailed about the bathroom controversy. I wonder if someone could comment on the shower size on the epic....is it slightly larger than a typical cabin shower on other lines like RCL?

also sdmike....thanks for all of your time compiling so much info on the epic.I keep coming across your posts as I am searching for info. Very informative!

The shower was twice the size of the one I have at home. Big enough for me to move the little table from the balcony into it to use as a prop to shave my legs. (and I hear big enough for two, ahem)

Archived