trip insurance - missing ship?

Emmabelle

Thinking of cruising on the Feb 3rd sailing on the Dream, but I had already bought airline tickets with Jetblue last summer and we land at MCO on the 3rd at 11:00am.

If everything went well, we'd make the ship, but if not, would trip insurance reimburse the $1100?

It would cost $200 to change our plane tickets to the 2nd instead, trip insurance is cheaper than that.

We'd just go to Disney World instead if we missed the ship, just don't want to be out $1100. I'm actually kind of nervous to cruise in February because the seas maybe rough.

The short answer...it depends.

Each policy has specific terms and conditions regarding what you are covered for. It may depend on WHY the flight was late...some policies require your flight to be at least 6 hours late before any benefits will be paid. If you are due to arrive at 11am, six hours isn't enough time to ensure coverage since you must be on board about 4 hours after scheduled landing.

Some policies require a complete cessation of air travel for 24 hours before benefits will be paid.

The devil is in the details of the policy you are looking to purchase.

A) You still have time to cancel your cruise. But your airfare may not be refundable.Go and see the WDW in Orlando and cruise next year :)

B) Better is you change your air ticket by paying the penalty. Lot cheaper then losing $1100.

C) Take a chance that your flight will be on time and take a fast taxi to the cruise terminal. It is never a good idea to fly in on the day of your cruise. Lesson learnt for your next cruise . :)

Insirance will probably not cover it unless it was a mechanical failure to the plane and again like said above there is so much time they say it has to be out and then they say that the airline would cover it so it becomes a fight as to who is covering it. I would pay $200 and change it and enjoy a wonderful cruise. Feb the seas should not be rough as in you are going out of Miami into the Caribbean sea and those stay calm unless hurricane season... If you do this I'd suggest you buy transfers from Disney from the airport to the pier so maybe they would hold it for you that way...

As others have said, it really depends on the policy. Some will cover for mechanical after a cretain amount of time, but in Feb, your bigger issue is a weather delay, but that is less likely to be covered. Some will though, so read the fine print and go from there. Another option is Disney's cruise insurance....It will NOT cover your airfare, but they WILL let you move all $$$ paid towards the trip to another date. So you would not get your $$$ back, but can still cruise at another time.

I am on that cruise...hope to see you on board!

Tough Spot. Yes, it depends on the policy (and I think that cuts it too close). Something else to think about: I love Jet Blue, but my experience with them has been that many flights are delayed, and if that happens you'd have even less time to make the ship. I also sat on a runway at MCO for an extra hour once due to airline traffic and bad weather. Sounds too risky to me unless you can ensure Trip Insurance will cover it.

Archived