Hawaiin excursions.....you're favorites

Sally of the Sea

:rolleyes: Hi Ya'll. We just booked our first 11 day Hawaiin Cruise on Norweigian Wind. We are planning on the Old Lahainia Luau, Horseback Riding, Glass Bottom Boat, Snorkeling, & Pearl Harbor, Biking on Fanning Island. Are there any other ya'll recommend? Any advice appreciated! Just my hubby and I celebrating our 20th anniversary with some friends. Thanks!!:)

Sally of the sea...it looks like you chose some good ones...however when we were there the whales were also and that is the best excursion...!!!!we were on the Wind also...loved Fanning Island...we took our whale tour in Lahaina..Carl

We also loved Fanning. When we got there we hired one of the locals to take us on a walking tour of the island, it was wonderful! We loved seeing the island, hearing a bit of the history, seeing how they live. In Hawaii our favorite excursion was a helicopter ride over Kauai. Of course, everything was wonderful - be sure to check out the National Parks - fantastic!!!

The very best excursion we have ever taken was the helicopter ride on Kauai. If you can't do that, an excursion of the Napali Coast is awesome, that is also on Kauai. If you can't do that, rent a car and drive to Princeville, stopping at sights along the way. In Maui, rent a car and drive at least part of the way to Hana. On Oahu, get out of Honolulu and see the island, don't stay in the city, go to Pearl Harbor, Polynesian Cultural Center, the North Shore. On the Big Island, Hilo side the Volcano can't be beat. On the Kona side, I don't know, I've only been snorkeling there. Fanning Island, go on their beach break, if they still have it and see the natives dancing and singing. If they have a tour of the island, take it, you won't be sorry.

The only thing you shouldn't do in Hawaii is go shopping on your port stops, everything they offer there can be purchased online. The islands are all too beautiful to be missed.

Aloha, just a couple of things from someone who lives here in Hawai`i. 1) You can rent cars on each island. R/car company will p/up and return you to ship at no extra chrg. Just be aware that AM/PM rush hour traffic bad on all islands. 2) Humpback whales only visit in the winter 3) Have a plan "B" for Fanning cause ship doesn't alway stop due to weather, sea, emergency at sea. Be aware that Fanning is HOT and HUMID. Local guided walking tour is good ....gives you idea of residents houses etc. Don't wear or carry too much stuff, it will really kill you. NCL has lots of amenities near the dock on island such as beach chairs, food, washrooms etc. But get away from all that and go someplace that is not so crowded . Have fun and don't forget the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet in Honolulu, WED, SAT, SUN. It's the best for cheap good t-shirts and souveniers.

Be aware that Fanning is HOT and HUMID. Local guided walking tour is good ....gives you idea of residents houses etc. Don't wear or carry too much stuff, it will really kill you. NCL has lots of amenities near the dock on island such as beach chairs, food, washrooms etc. But get away from all that and go someplace that is not so crowded.

Thanks for this info.

We have a group of 6 and was thinking of doing the NCL excursion to Papili Beach ($20/ea), and some of us will further do the beach activity ($15/ea).

Question on the local guided tour:

Are there many locals ready to provide guided tours?

Do we have to arrange as soon as we tender to land, or is it ok to go to the Napili beach first to get lounge chairs, then find a local for the tour?

How much should be paid?

How long does it take (group of 6 walking)?

Thanks a lot.

We will let you know what we think of our tours. WE LEAVE TOMMORROW!!

We have 3 different families all taking different excursions and I will let everyone know how they go. What we have scheduled

OUR Family - very active with 2 teanagers

Hilo - Lava viewing adventure (through the ship)

Fanning - Special beach

Kauai - convertable and tour on our own

Maui - SUV and road to Hana on our own

Kona - Shogun snorkel/fishing combo (they only take 6 people)

Jeff parents (60's with bad back and can not sit or stand long)

Hilo - Volcano National Park and Rainbow Falls (through the ship)

Kauai - Waimea Canyon, Wailua River & Fern Gratto (through the ship)

Maui - Haleakala Zipline (through the ship)

Kona - Atlantis Submarine adventure (through the ship)

SIL, BIL & adult niece

Hilo - Hawaiian Eco Safari (through the ship)

Kauai(niece) - Poipu Beach surf lessons (through the ship)

Kauai (SIL & BIL) - Something through the ship?

Kona - Kamanu Catamaran Sail & Snorkel (through the ship)

We are meeting back at the ship each evening to compare notes and pictures and tell each other all about the days adverntures. On the last day in Oahu (after the cruise) we have rented a stretch hummer that will take us on a personal tour all day. Our plane is the red eye so we are hoping to get to see and do a lot with our personal guild and driver. I'm too excited.

hi, on the Pride Of America August 13, 2005.

Do you have link or info on the Stretch Hummer?

There are eight of us and would be interested in same

that you are doing.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Aloha Cavegirl........We only stayed in "town" at English Harbor where NCL has all the food and washrooms. We (slowly) walked on our own to the main church that took us about 1 hour round trip. Several men came up to us offering a tour but the place is so small we walked alone. Very safe. The nicer beach is across the water on the other side of the bay and you get there by boat. Before you rent snorkle gear make sure there is something to see...maybe only sandy bottom with little or no fish. I hauled my snorkle stuff all the way from home and saw nothing. You can't beat Hanauma Bay on O`ahu. Local men give tours and the last time I was on Fanning there was no set price. Just ask the guy what he wants and how long his tour takes. If it's hot they'll probably all be in the shade napping. You heard of "Hawaiian time" ? Well this is Fanning Island and they take that one step further. I don't like to bargain here like in other places because they have so little. It's a nice gesture to take pencils or small school supplies to the kids. NCL has been fabulous in this area. Don't forget to take your passport and have it stamped for a small "tip". I paid $1.00.

We did the Hawaiian cruise when the Star still was based in Hawaii. By far the best excursions were the bicycles on Fanning Island (be prepared, the roads can be muddy and rutted) and the NaPali Coast excursion in the rigid inflatables (like a Zodiac).

We had been to the islands many, many times by land and done most of the usual "touristy" things before. However those two are by far the most memorable things we've ever done.

Hi yall!!! Just like Sally, hubby and I are doin the 11 day sail in celebration of 20th anniversary also!!! We sail on 6/11/05

LOVE the feedback on the boards! Please keep it coming!!! I am curious about road to Hana...whether we should drive it ourselves or if we should do a tour. I have heard the road is like 1 1/2 lanes, very twisty and hard to drive.

We are planning kinda last minute so I also have to pick the shore excursions! I loved the posts about renting cars and going off independently...as hubby hates organized bus tours....so any rentacar tips also much appreciated!!

I was planning on bringing our snorkel gear...but noticed the post that mentioned not much to be seen. Snorkeled St John last year and loved it so thought Hawaii would be similar.

Would LOVE any and all tips and insights!! THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!

Aloha Loves2Snorkle.....Road to Hana is 51 miles and fun to drive. Two lanes all the way except for the bridges where you have to yield. Road well lined and marked. If faster driving local gets behind you pull over when able and let them pass. Several nice stops on the way, town of Pa`ia (wind surfing capital of the world), Ke`anae Arboretum (mosquito city! but beautiful), Wai`anpanapa State Park (fabulous ocean views), Main dock in Hana (beautiful). I wouldn't go all the way to Seven Pools and Lindberg grave because too far. Watch your time and check your spare and take a cell phone. Plan "B" could be great snorkling on the other side of island beyond Ka`anapali and Kapalua. The is a small bay where all the catamarans "park" and snorkle...can get there via road. Sorry I can't remember the name, like many residents I just know how to get there. Possibly Honokohau Bay but just ask one of the many snorkle/cruise kiosk clerks.

Best snorking is O`ahu at Hanauma Bay. (I think it's closed one day a week). Careful parking..smallish lot fills up fast and no alternative lot. Remember, ask a local about the water, can be dangerous rip currents. Make sure the beach you choose is safe for swimming.

Loves2snorkel

Do bring your snorkel gear! We love to free dive (snorkel) and the reefs are not to be missed in Hawaii and Fanning Island.

We did the Barracuda Reef Tour through the ship on Fanning Island they took us off the beach in one of the tenders and we were in water that was so clear visability was over 100+ the depth 15 ft to 60 ft. We saw coral that we have never seen before and we have been to the Eastern, Western and Southern Carribbean and the South Pacific (Bora Bora, Moorea etc). There were plenty of fish to see as well. The colors were so beautiful (would have been even more so if the sun had been out more - we had rain off and on most of the time on Fanning Island). We loved this Tour.

Maui is the Best place to rent a car and go to snorkel. We found the reef at Kapalua Bay to be the best we have ever seen (even compared to the South Pacific). We dove with sea turtles, morays eles and so many fish. You have to swim out a little bit from the beach to the right to see the best part of the reef. You can pick up a Dive Magazine on Maui that will have so many dive sites you will not believe it.

The only places we did not dive were on Hilo and the other port on Maui.

We were disapointed on Kaui went to Poipu Beach and it was nothing a few fish, better off seeing the Island here.

O`ahu at Hanauma Bay was ok for snorkeling but Lahaina, Maui was far better than this!

Our biggest dissapointment was that we did not have the two days in Lahaina since we had dive sites all picked out before we left home to check out, there are enough sites that we would not have even been able to make all of them in two days.

Mahalo

THanks a million!! to all of you for sharing your tips!! Cant wait to get there and finally see it all!!!This site is such a great source of information and building the excitement!!!

Appreciate all the kind tips and sharing advice!!

I would goto Napali beach on Fanning Island - it's postcard beach :) I did not find the rest of Fanning Island all that spectacular - just what you'll expect from a small tropical island community. But just be aware that Napali beach has no fish - the water is too shallow (the beach is situated within a lagoon).

You'll have to take the Barracuda Reef snorkel tour Shay1 mentioned if you want to see coral or fish on Fanning Island.

268775877_NapaliBeach.jpg.7e85ad2910b11dbc250e6e3014c22d18.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well we are back and here is our review of the excursions

Hilo - Lava viewing adventure (through the ship)

This was great!! Hard walking and very hot but really neat to see running lava.

Fanning - Special beach

Also loved this beach. We found puffer fish to play with and enjoyed just being in totally clear knee to ankle deep water. We walked from one side of the beach clear to the other just checking out stuff. The crabs were fun to play with also. This beach is cleaner and not so many flies as the main island. We did not stick around the Fanning very long because of the flies.

Kauai - convertable and tour on our own

Not enough time but it was fun. Too many waves for good snorkeling. The botanical garden was fun to visit.

Maui - SUV and road to Hana on our own

Long day. We went all the way around. We were on the road to Hana at 10:30 and back to the starting point at 5:30. We decided to go down to Wialiaha to snorke but it was not a good snorkel spot either. We ended up getting behind a wreck that stopped traffic and almost missed the boat.

Kona - Shogun snorkel/fishing combo (they only take 6 people)

We were not allowed to get off the boat because the tendering process was too dangerous. BIG Dissappointment.

Jeff parents (60's with bad back and can not sit or stand long)

Hilo - Volcano National Park and Rainbow Falls (through the ship)

They loved this tour and it was just enough walking and riding

Kauai - Waimea Canyon, Wailua River & Fern Gratto (through the ship)

They had to switch to the botanical garden because My MIL did not want to ride in a car for over one hour. She was pretty sea sick.

Chickened out and went on the Atlantis Submarine at this port. They liked it.

SIL, BIL & adult niece

Hilo - Hawaiian Eco Safari (through the ship)

Really enjoyed this - and it sounded like they really got to see a lot of this side of the island

Kauai(niece) - Poipu Beach surf lessons (through the ship)

She really did learn how to surf and had a great time

Kauai (SIL & BIL) - went shopping

Plenty of little shops in a short walking distance.

They loved this!!! Said it was a blast!

Back at Ohau we rented a stretch hummer. He took us to Pearl Harbor. That was excellent of course but it took over 3 hours. Then he took 1/2 of us shopping and 1/2 of us to the beach to snorkel. He then picked us up and took us to Shorbirds where we had a wonderful meal. Then he stopped at a mall real quick because my little girl had not found a sweatshirt then dropped us off at the airport.

hi, on the Pride Of America August 13, 2005.

Do you have link or info on the Stretch Hummer?

There are eight of us and would be interested in same

that you are doing.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Luxury1limo@yahoo.com

Eight will fit in a regular limo but we had nine so we would not fit. We had plenty of room in the hummer. He even had room for all 9 of our luggage.

We went in Oahu 2 days early, stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village and rented a car. Took our own snorkel hear and snorkeled Hanuama Bay. I was kind of disappointed there. We also drove the Nuuanu Pali Highway which was pretty, then H2 up through the middle of Oahu to the North Shore and explored around up there. The beaches were real pretty but no real waves since it was June. The Waimea Audubon Center looked pretty neat but we got there too late in the day to go explore it.

We went to Pearl Harbour on Sunday. Got there around noon and our ticket was for 1:45 so you could always go out for lunch and come back, or explore the other exhibits while waiting.

First Day in Kauai was the only shore excursion we booked through the ship, the Jungle Hike, Wagon ride and Zipline. It included lunch and you also wore swimsuits under your clothes as they had two spots where you could do rope swings into the water, one a small drop and one a much higher one from a waterfall. You also got to see some wildlife, wild pigs, plus the horses, cows, peacocks and a goose called Lucy that would chase the wagon up the trail as she wanted food. It was definitely a good excursion and one I'd recommend.

Second day we did a helicopter tour. We booked it on our own in advance through Island Helicopters www.IslandHelicopter.com as with the internet discount it was only around $137 and included a free video or screensaver per couple. The ship charged $189 for the same trip. Island did a great job and it was one of the highlights of our trip!

In Hilo we rented a car (found out Avis does not pick you up at the dock they they had told us over the phone they did). We drove up volcanos national park and explored on our own, then drove further down that same road to the black sand beach where we saw turtles basking in the sun.

On Kona we rented a car from Enterprise on Lahia Ave (as recommended on CruiseCritic) we got upgraded to a SUV. We took our snorkel gear and drove down the coast on Ali Drive to Kahaluu Beach Park. The snorkeling there was great, the reef had a ton of fish and green turtles as well. We had lunch at the beach restaurant at the hotel next door which was casual but delicious, as were the frozen drinks. On the way back we stopped at the Alii Gardens Marketplace for some shopping and then Huggos on the Rocks for some cool drinks.

If you don't want to rent a car, just get off the tender in Kona and there are some outfits that will take you to back and forth to Kahaluu for $20 Incl snorkel gear.

In Maui we also rented a car, a jeep wrangler from Enterprise. We did the road to Hana with a lot of pit stops at waterfalls. Best to check out the spots where cars have pulled over as that usually means there is something worth seeing.

The turnoff around mile marker 17 to Keanae is definitely worth it to drive down to the ocean and take photos of the surf and scenery (plus there are bathrooms down there). We grabbed lunch on the way into Hana at the Nahiku coffee shop, gallery and BBQ stand around MM28-29. The kahlua pork taco was delicious and a cheap lunch at $5.

In Hana we drove into town and took the Uakea Rd fork to the left. If you take it to the end and park by the Hana Community center you can ask and find the trail to the hidden red sand beach. Beware though, the trail is somewhat treachorous, so wear good walking shoes. Its worth the trek though as it is hidden in a crater like cove and definitely unique to see.

After a stop at the Hasegawa General store we continued the drive around the back side of the islad, taking more photos of waterfalls and rainbows along the way (get gas in Hana if you have less than a half tank). At this time of year we had no problems driving that road at all, but if its somewhat rainy you may want to reconsider.

We got back to Kahalui and did dinner at the Manana Garage which was really good and just a short distance from the ship on Lono Ave off Kaahumanu Ave (rt 36).

On Sunday we were off ship around 9 and rented another car since our flight was late afternoon. We drove around and saw some scenery, went to the Aloha Stadium swap meet (hold off and do all your souvenir shopping there as the prices were MUCh better than anywhere else) and then went to Chinatown for a Dim Sum lunch.

The next day we went snorkeling / diving at Molokini. I snorkeled while my other half dove and got to see several sharks as well as an assortment of fish.

All in all I think renting the car was the way to go, as you could see things at your own pace and at a whole lot cheaper price than what the ship charges. I brought the Frommers Hawaii book and also did research online ahead of time to find good places to go and it made for a fantastic trip!

Andrea in Atlanta

mshe--thanks for providing the link to your Hawaii pictures, they were great!!

shemo--it always help to have input from someone who lives there...thanks so much!

We're in the early planning stages for an extended family cruise next summer--considering Hawaii. Some of us have been in Hawaii, some not. Have really loved reading everyone's excursion ideas. Sounds like a Hawaii cruise is very port-intensive. When do people rest?

Mary

• 4 weeks later...
Loves2snorkel

Do bring your snorkel gear! We love to free dive (snorkel) and the reefs are not to be missed in Hawaii and Fanning Island.

We did the Barracuda Reef Tour through the ship on Fanning Island they took us off the beach in one of the tenders and we were in water that was so clear visability was over 100+ the depth 15 ft to 60 ft. We saw coral that we have never seen before and we have been to the Eastern, Western and Southern Carribbean and the South Pacific (Bora Bora, Moorea etc). There were plenty of fish to see as well. The colors were so beautiful (would have been even more so if the sun had been out more - we had rain off and on most of the time on Fanning Island). We loved this Tour.

Maui is the Best place to rent a car and go to snorkel. We found the reef at Kapalua Bay to be the best we have ever seen (even compared to the South Pacific). We dove with sea turtles, morays eles and so many fish. You have to swim out a little bit from the beach to the right to see the best part of the reef. You can pick up a Dive Magazine on Maui that will have so many dive sites you will not believe it.

The only places we did not dive were on Hilo and the other port on Maui.

We were disapointed on Kaui went to Poipu Beach and it was nothing a few fish, better off seeing the Island here.

O`ahu at Hanauma Bay was ok for snorkeling but Lahaina, Maui was far better than this!

Our biggest dissapointment was that we did not have the two days in Lahaina since we had dive sites all picked out before we left home to check out, there are enough sites that we would not have even been able to make all of them in two days.

Mahalo

Would you please tell me more about the Barracuda Reef Snorkel? Where did it depart from? Could you do the morning Napali Beach Getaway? How difficult was the swimming/strong current?

Thank you!

mshe--thanks for providing the link to your Hawaii pictures, they were great!!

shemo--it always help to have input from someone who lives there...thanks so much!

We're in the early planning stages for an extended family cruise next summer--considering Hawaii. Some of us have been in Hawaii, some not. Have really loved reading everyone's excursion ideas. Sounds like a Hawaii cruise is very port-intensive. When do people rest?

Mary

Mary, maybe you rest when you get home after the cruise??!! J/K! The Hawaii cruise (Pride of Aloha and America) are very port intensive, but they allow many opportunities for rest. Since you will be in port all day and possibly overnight you don't have to rush off the ship first thing in the morning and squeeze everything into a few hours. You have more time to take things at your own leisure. We plan on possibly going out in the morning, returning for lunch and a break then going back out later in the day for some stops. If you leave at night from port it is usually around 8:00 so that gives you time to be onboard for a relaxing supper, a show and whatever you like to do in the evening.

Your concerns are valid because there is so much to see and you want to do everything!! I prefer to choose a few must-do's and plan around them. If we're tired we'll stay on the ship or go to a beach, if we want to do other things we'll get out for a while.

If you haven't booked for next summer yet (and even if you have, you can switch!) be sure to check out our group cruise on June 10 - we would love for you to join the Pineapple Heads!! :D

Archived