wifi on liberty ots...

I was also thinking of bringing my android tablet. Do you have to purchase an internet package? Thanks

No, you don't have to purchase a package. You can pay by the minute. Here are the rates:

Base rate is $.65 per minute or choose from one of our prepaid packages:

$35 for 60 minutes

$55 for 100 minutes

$75 for 150 minutes

$100 for 250 minutes

$150 for 500 minutes

What is the speed of the wifi? In the past I have found onboard wifi to be so slow that it was just better to use the onboard hard-wired computers. However, if this is "as good as home" then onboard life will be much easier using my laptop.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

What is the speed of the wifi? In the past I have found onboard wifi to be so slow that it was just better to use the onboard hard-wired computers. However, if this is "as good as home" then onboard life will be much easier using my laptop.

It's always more economical to use one's own laptop or tablet because you can use the email app. When you use one of the ship's computers you can only use a web browser for email and the clock is ticking ($$$) the entire time you read and compose replies.

When one uses a dedicated email app on their own device you can: log on, download email, log off. Then take your time reading and composing replies. Then log on, send email, log off.

It might take you 15 to 20 minutes using the ship's computer and web browser to do email. One can typically accomplish the same email session in just two or three minutes when using a dedicated email application on a device you own. And it's easy to test and get used to the process before leaving home.

It's always more economical to use one's own laptop or tablet because you can use the email app. When you use one of the ship's computers you can only use a web browser for email and the clock is ticking ($$$) the entire time you read and compose replies.

When one uses a dedicated email app on their own device you can: log on, download email, log off. Then take your time reading and composing replies. Then log on, send email, log off.

It might take you 15 to 20 minutes using the ship's computer and web browser to do email. One can typically accomplish the same email session in just two or three minutes when using a dedicated email application on a device you own. And it's easy to test and get used to the process before leaving home.

Definitely a good money-saving tip, but even a quick download of e-mail can be extremely frustrating (and costly) if the wi-fi is so slow it takes 10 minutes to download e-mails. So does anyone have any insight into whether the wi-fi is quick or slow? Thanks.

Definitely a good money-saving tip, but even a quick download of e-mail can be extremely frustrating (and costly) if the wi-fi is so slow it takes 10 minutes to download e-mails. So does anyone have any insight into whether the wi-fi is quick or slow? Thanks.

The speed varies. We were just on Liberty last week. Sometimes the speed was reasonably fast and I could bring up my web based email in a minute. Other times it took 3 minutes to do the same thing. On the last day, presumably when many were doing the same thing, it was so slow that I could not get the boarding pass to display fully. I tried 3 times, and after blowing through 15 minutes of internet time, I gave up.

Define quick or slow. It's satellite based, it's always going to feel and be slower than your broadband at home.

Unless you've got hundreds of emails with large attachments the process I've described typically finishes in two to three minutes.

Sorry to sound stupid,BUT what do you mean use your own email app? I just got an android tablet and i can check my email on it. Is that what u are referring to as your own email app? Thanks

Sorry to sound stupid,BUT what do you mean use your own email app? I just got an android tablet and i can check my email on it. Is that what u are referring to as your own email app? Thanks

Any program that downloads your email to your computer, phone or tablet would be considered an app, aka email client to be most precise. On a PC, outlook, outlook express, live mail, etc would ne email clients (Apps). On my Android, I have an email app, that downloads the email, but only downloads the header (first bit of message, subject, sender)...then if I choose, I can select to dl the while email and attachment...best of both worlds as even if painfully slow,.I should still get an idea.of what is.going.on at home w my family and small business. On your tablet,.you will have this type of app....look for an app called 'email' in your list of installed apps (have your email pw ready and you should be able to setup this up)...if you use.gmail, look for gmail in app list.

Many people use Web based email access. Examples of this would be gmail,.hotmail , Yahoo dot com. To read and send mail by logging into the providers server and manipulating the emails that reside on said server using a Web browser.

Any program that downloads your email to your computer, phone or tablet would be considered an app, aka email client to be most precise. On a PC, outlook, outlook express, live mail, etc would ne email clients (Apps). On my Android, I have an email app, that downloads the email, but only downloads the header (first bit of message, subject, sender)...then if I choose, I can select to dl the while email and attachment...best of both worlds as even if painfully slow,.I should still get an idea.of what is.going.on at home w my family and small business. On your tablet,.you will have this type of app....look for an app called 'email' in your list of installed apps (have your email pw ready and you should be able to setup this up)...if you use.gmail, look for gmail in app list.

Many people use Web based email access. Examples of this would be gmail,.hotmail , Yahoo dot com. To read and send mail by logging into the providers server and manipulating the emails that reside on said server using a Web browser.

Thanks for your help. So i have my email account on my tablet synched with aol who is my internet provider. So then, i am all set then? Thanks again for helping this dummy lol

Thanks for your help. So i have my email account on my tablet synched with aol who is my internet provider. So then, i am all set then? Thanks again for helping this dummy lol

You should be good!

if you are.concerned, go to any free hotspot (McDonalds, Starbucks, etc)...connect to the wifi there and test sending and receiving...if it works there, you are good on the ship.

And you're no dummy... dummies don't ask questions, they just assume and learn the hard way! ;-)

The other poster is correct, you're ready to go.

Folks either use a web browser to check their email or a dedicated email application. When you're not on a computer you control (ship's computer or in an Internet cafe) you have no choice but to use a web browser. But when you're on a device you control it's always better and faster to use the included email application.

Archived