Anyone ever been falsely accused of sneaking alcohol aboard?

H&J

We had 6 water 12oz water bottle, 8 pack of Diet Ginger Ale Cans, 8 pack of Coke Zero in our suitcase and it was set aside. The line at the naughty room was funny, one guy had to large bottle of Lipton Ice Tea filled with rum, another guy had a bottle of Tequila wrapped in his jeans which he blamed his kid for putting it in the suitcase. The just shook our water bottles, and cracked opened one of our Coke Zeros and we were all good. Wasted around 30 minutes.

They have yet to find the Rum Runners.............:D

:D sooooooo....how did you hide the Rum Runners? very curious :D

And for the unasked question, no, they will not bring your bags to your room whether there is contraband or not.

They brought mine to my cabin for me. Granted I was in the OS on the Sky but, none the less, they delivered it.

:D sooooooo....how did you hide the Rum Runners? very curious :D

Rum Runners always go in zip lock bag, folded over with air let out, placed in a sock, placed with a shoe, with folded up sock in the shoe opening. The more shoes, the more booze:D Or the Listerine Whitening Bottle rinsed out with vinegar and hot water, placed in a zip lock back with a toothbrush, and toothpaste is always a winner too:cool:

Fact, I never drink much of what I bring so its always a waste of space lol..its just the thrill of seeing if the bag comes or not

I keep reading about references to the "naughty room". Has anyone been falsely accused of sneaking alcohol aboard? What does NCL do when they realize they made a mistake and just wasted a whole lot of your time?

We love sailing with NCL, but have to say that this is an area where we think they can make improvements... We are not drinkers, no alcohol at all, so truly an uncomfortable feeling for us to have to go to the Naughty Room.

A few cruises back, a can of sun tan spray was thought to be alcohol. What a hassle we had to go through. Not a good start to a cruise, especially when we did nothing wrong and did not even receive an apology, as best we can recall.

I've said this before... if not guilty, it seems a little token of some sort would certainly be nice. A discount for photos, speciality restaurant or even a shopping discount. Nothing much, but a small token of some sort could really go a long way. Something to acknowledge and show they recognize the inconvenience...

Happy sailing everyone!

OK, help me understand this. I want to bring a six-pack of Vitamin Water that is enclosed in its original factory shrink-wrap. I am going to put it in my carryon since I won't be traveling on an airline. Since it's in a carryon, they would look at it right away, thus avoiding the naughty room, right? I hope??? If I'm going to have to deal with naughty room crap, I would just leave the dang Vitamin Water at home, but I am addicted to it (and it doesn't sound like they sell it on any NCL ships).

OK, help me understand this. I want to bring a six-pack of Vitamin Water that is enclosed in its original factory shrink-wrap. I am going to put it in my carryon since I won't be traveling on an airline. Since it's in a carryon, they would look at it right away, thus avoiding the naughty room, right? I hope??? If I'm going to have to deal with naughty room crap, I would just leave the dang Vitamin Water at home, but I am addicted to it (and it doesn't sound like they sell it on any NCL ships).

Correct.

Those who feel inconvenienced by the liquor checks should take a good look at the confiscated booze room to see how much they find and hold. That should give you a better perspective of their system.

They are bound to have some false reads, but the percentages of correct reads is pretty high.

The amount they don't catch is also pretty high !!!!

Take it in stride and enjoy your cruise. The naughty room can be fun if you let it be !!!!

Several years ago we were sailing on the Pearl when we got a notice to go to the naughty room.

I found it strange that we would be called to the naughty room, since neither of us drink so there is no need to try and sneak alcohol on board.

As we were approaching the naughty room, we ran into the hotel director, who we had sailed with several times before.

He asked, why we were going to the naughty room, since he knew we didn't drink.

I showed him the notice we had gotten, so he went to the naughty room with us.

When we got there, he asked which bag was ours and I pointed it out to him. He told the security people to give him the bag and he then gave it to someone and told them to take it to our cabin.

I told him I had no problem with security opening the bag and he said, there was no need because he knew we didn't drink.

When we got back to our cabin, our bag was waiting for us at the door. I carried it in and opened it on the bed to search for what had prompted the bag being sent to the naughty room.

Finally at the bottom of the bag, I found the culprit, a three oz. bottle of medicine my doctor had given me to take in case of a noro outbreak (since there had been one the week before we boarded).

Those who feel inconvenienced by the liquor checks should take a good look at the confiscated booze room to see how much they find and hold. That should give you a better perspective of their system.

They are bound to have some false reads, but the percentages of correct reads is pretty high.

The amount they don't catch is also pretty high !!!!

Take it in stride and enjoy your cruise. The naughty room can be fun if you let it be !!!!

I like your attitude... but do you think it is asking too much for even something as simple as a 5% discount to something offered onboard? It may not ever be used, but just a simple token acknowledging the inconvenience, if there truly was no policy infringement. That simple act could go a long way...

I like your attitude... but do you think it is asking too much for even something as simple as a 5% discount to something offered onboard? It may not ever be used' date=' but just a simple token acknowledging the inconvenience, if there truly was no policy infringement. That simple act could go a long way...[/quote']

I don't think any reimbursement is needed.

Should the airlines discount your fare of give you something when you are pulled out of line because the beeper went off?

Your luggage has something that is questionable and it is flagged for inspection. Some of the other lnes open your luggage and check it. NCL prefers to have you open it yourself to avoid claims of missing items.

Granted, the majority of luggage is flagged for alcohol, but it is also xrayed for weapons and other banned items, and it is comforting to me to know they are checking.

Should the airlines discount your fare of give you something when you are pulled out of line because the beeper went off?

Your luggage has something that is questionable and it is flagged for inspection. Some of the other lnes open your luggage and check it. NCL prefers to have you open it yourself to avoid claims of missing items.

Granted, the majority of luggage is flagged for alcohol, but it is also xrayed for weapons and other banned items, and it is comforting to me to know they are checking.

I totally agree ...no comp or anything. Great to see them doing their jobs and keeping us safe. Like I stated earlier, the lesson for me is not to put non-alcohol liquids in suitcases.

Coka

Unlike the TSA which is truly looking for things that might bring the plane down, the fact that NCL is flagging the majority of bags for alcohol just shows that their primary reason for scanning all these bags is protecting their bottom line and anything else they might find is just an additional benefit.

Unlike the TSA which is truly looking for things that might bring the plane down, the fact that NCL is flagging the majority of bags for alcohol just shows that their primary reason for scanning all these bags is protecting their bottom line and anything else they might find is just an additional benefit.

If you believe that, then what are the metal detectors and xrays for when you check in? Of course they will flag prohibited items, such as alcohol, but they are also performing a security inspection.

If you have no containers that appear to be liquid in your checked baggage, your luggage will be fine. As to having your first evening ruined, depending on timing, it could take as little as 15 minutes.

Advice: take all your liquids as carry on and you should have no problems.

I feel like someone is always going to complain...if they just opened your bag to see what was inside then some people would complain about their privacy being questioned...if they call you to the naughty room for you to show them what is inside then they could be wasting your time and someone will (clearly) complain about that. Personally, I'd rather be safe and if they want me to go through my bag to show them exactly what's inside I'm fine with "wasting" half an hour to do that. It's not always alcohol they're looking for so I don't think they're out to waste people's time just to charge more for drinks on board.

Safe from what? Rummy Bears.

agreed

If you believe that, then what are the metal detectors and xrays for when you check in? Of course they will flag prohibited items, such as alcohol, but they are also performing a security inspection.

Because the port authority mandates them.

Archived