Nola Experts Please Help

td1356

We are staying at the Royal Sonesta 2 nights pre-cruise. Can someone answer a few questions for me?

1) Is there a CVS/Liquor Store Close to buy wine as we can take on 2 bottles per cabin?

2) We will have an 18 month old and 84 and 87 year olds, so we need great

restaurants near the Royal Sonesta.

3) How far are we from Pat O'Brians - love to get a Hurricane.

4) Any great and reasonable Limo Services to get 9 people to and from the

hotel to port? And from the Port to Airport? Or should we just take 2 cabs?

5) Any must sees real close to the Royal Sonesta?

6) This will be our first trip to New Orleans so any helpful suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

The closest thing to a grocery in the French Quarter is Rouse's at 700 Royal. They have a fairly good wine selection, and prices are reasonable.

There are lots of great restaurants close by, but most of them are fairly small and seating nine could be a problem. Here are some suggestions for larger places with good food. They all have web sites with menus. All are in easy walking distance

Deanie's, 841 Iberville

Tujague's, 823 Decatur

Coffee Pot, 719 St. Peter

Gumbo Shop, 630 St. Peter

Pat O's is on St. Peter, close by.

I can't help with the limo question, but you can ask someone at the hotel desk. Cabs usually work out best.

The French Quarter is a great place to just bum around. There are commercial walking tours, and you can google "French Quarter Walking Tours" and download self-guided tours. A cruise on the Natchez is a great way to spend the afternoon. There is a free local paper called Gambit, available at most bars/restaurants, that will list all of the things going on in the city, including free concerts.

Also for food that is quick and good, go to Camelia grill, at Toulouse and Chartres st.

The best thing to do in the Quarter is just walk around. You will probably want to stay in the portion of the quarter closest to the river, like below Bourbon street, and while you can venture down river past St. Anne street, it gets to be more residential outside those areas. (it is still safe, especially with a large group). I would just use a cab service and let them know you have 9 with luggage. It's usually around $7 per person to get to the port. From the airport you can take a cab and it's like $35 for one person, or $14/per person beyond 3 people.

There are walgreens within walking distance of your hotel, but the place I like to go is Rouse's at Royal and St. Peter streets. It's a very well stocked grocery store for it's size, and they have a full wine selection in stock. I go there rather than any liquor store anytime I want alcohol while in New Orleans. We go there about every year and a half for the last 10 years or so, and I lived there while I was in high school.

Archived