tours from Montego Bay

lissa1094

probably not what you want to hear, but I'd suggest you stay on the ship. was just there a few weeks ago.... I will never go back to Jamaica again, or if its a port on a cruise I want to take, Ill stay onboard. Very aggressive people not a good day

Does anyone have suggestions for a tour leaving from Montego Bay? We just want to see a bit of everything and get a feel for the culture. Thanks!!

I would suggest hiring a private taxi tour operator to take you around. I would suggest looking at Liberty Tours Jamaica and / or SNL Jamaican Tours. If you want more details, let me know. Both operators will take you around MoBay. I would also suggest, if time permits, going to the Rocklands Bird Sanctuary if you want to see some Hummingbirds.

I would suggest hiring a private taxi tour operator to take you around. I would suggest looking at Liberty Tours Jamaica and / or SNL Jamaican Tours. If you want more details, let me know. Both operators will take you around MoBay. I would also suggest, if time permits, going to the Rocklands Bird Sanctuary if you want to see some Hummingbirds.

Could you please provide some additional details? Will be there in a few weeks and looking for advice on DIY in/around MoBay.

Could you please provide some additional details? Will be there in a few weeks and looking for advice on DIY in/around MoBay.

Both tour companies are on FB, if you have access. I won't be able to get the details until tomorrow evening as I am working and have prior commitments this evening, if it can wait until then. I went to MoBay and did a quick historic tour, culture tour, visit to the Parish church and Richmond Hill and visited Rocklands Bird Sanctuary. Also had some cocunut drink, tried some local fruit, went to a cheap(ish) shop to buy some trinkets. Both Tour Guides will look after you.

Both tour companies are on FB, if you have access. I won't be able to get the details until tomorrow evening as I am working and have prior commitments this evening, if it can wait until then. I went to MoBay and did a quick historic tour, culture tour, visit to the Parish church and Richmond Hill and visited Rocklands Bird Sanctuary. Also had some cocunut drink, tried some local fruit, went to a cheap(ish) shop to buy some trinkets. Both Tour Guides will look after you.

Many thanks! I will check them out on FB but any additional info you have would also be welcome.

Just noticed you're in London! What a wonderful city! Love it and want to go back as it has been many years since I spent time there.

Cheerio!

Many thanks! I will check them out on FB but any additional info you have would also be welcome.

Just noticed you're in London! What a wonderful city! Love it and want to go back as it has been many years since I spent time there.

Cheerio!

What additional info do you need? If you are looking for a disabled friendly tour guide, you may be out of luck, or hard pushed to find one. Most authorised tour guides, including the ones I habe mentioned, will most likely have ait conditioning in their cars. When looking for a tour guide, make sure they have the red license plate and a JTB license. Please do let me know what type if info you are after, and I will see what I can do.

What additional info do you need? If you are looking for a disabled friendly tour guide, you may be out of luck, or hard pushed to find one. Most authorised tour guides, including the ones I habe mentioned, will most likely have ait conditioning in their cars. When looking for a tour guide, make sure they have the red license plate and a JTB license. Please do let me know what type if info you are after, and I will see what I can do.

I would suggest contacting the Tour Operators regarding any additional information you require. Their details are:

Ricardo Riley - Liberty Tours Jamica - ricardoriley1984@yahoo.com - https://www.facebook.com/LibertyToursJamaica?fref=ts

Lindsay McFarlane - SNL Jamaical Tours - snljamaicantours@hotmail.com - https://www.facebook.com/pages/SNL-Jamaican-Tours/214533508557501?fref=ts

Please let me know what further information you require.

probably not what you want to hear, but I'd suggest you stay on the ship. was just there a few weeks ago.... I will never go back to Jamaica again, or if its a port on a cruise I want to take, Ill stay onboard. Very aggressive people not a good day

That's what we are thinking of doing in January

• 2 weeks later...

Novice, I did make contact with Liberty via their FB page. I have emailed Rob there and he has quoted a price for a "private" tour that sounds just like what we would be interested in. Basically the highlights of the MoBay area with stops for jerk chicken and some cold Red Stripes. Still trying to determine if we will do this or just amble around solo near the port and go back to ship. I do appreciate your information and help!

Novice, I did make contact with Liberty via their FB page. I have emailed Rob there and he has quoted a price for a "private" tour that sounds just like what we would be interested in. Basically the highlights of the MoBay area with stops for jerk chicken and some cold Red Stripes. Still trying to determine if we will do this or just amble around solo near the port and go back to ship. I do appreciate your information and help!

No problem. Do you Ricardo at Liberty and not Rob? I am glad I could help where I could. I would urge caution if you are planning on staying local, unless you are going to stay within the gated area. However, if you have a thick skin and you are able to firmly say no without getting angry or upset, then I wish you luck if you decide to stay local. Also, if you stay local, don't hire a taxi, unless they are authorised to take on tourists (red taxi plate is one clue). I would suggest going to MoBay with a tour guide. If you have time and like wildlife, ask the guide to take you to Rocklands Bird Sanctuary. It is a little hidden gem.

Hmmm...interesting comments about wandering around MoBay solo. I will take those to heart as we decide what we will do there. I appreciate your honesty and knowledge.

Yep, it was Rob who responded to my message via their FB page. He seems pretty accommodating but whether or not we are getting a good deal still remains to be seen.

Hmmm...interesting comments about wandering around MoBay solo. I will take those to heart as we decide what we will do there. I appreciate your honesty and knowledge.

Yep, it was Rob who responded to my message via their FB page. He seems pretty accommodating but whether or not we are getting a good deal still remains to be seen.

*slaps his own wrist* I thought you were docking in Falmouth. However, in a country you haven't been to before (especially poorer countries), be careful about venturing out on your own.

My bf and I just traveled to Montego Bay on carnival conquest 2 weeks ago...I must admit, we were most nervous about this port because of the reviews We read on this site. We decided to get off the ship and check it out anyway..we both agreed that if we felt unsafe we would return to the ship immediately.

Well, I have to tell you that Montego Bay ended up being our favorite port of call. We went to doctors cave beach and had incredible Caribbean jerk chicken at the restaurant there. While laying on the beach we decided we wanted to do something that was not so Americanized but we didn't know what to do. We decided just to find a taxi back to the ship. To our surprise when we walked to the gate of doctors cave we were greeted by a taxi driver named Winston who agreed to take us to the ship. He then told us it would cost $20 for the ride...$15 more than it cost to get to the beach! We agreed to wait for other people headed to the ship to get our cost to go down.

To our surprise the per people wanted to go on a tour of Montego Bay. Winston agreed to take all 6 of us on a 1 hour tour (up in the hills, thru downtown, to a sugar plantation,etc.) and a ride back to the ship for $12 pp! It was the best deal of the whole trip. Winston stopped wherever we wanted and let us take as many pics as we wanted. He also explained the Jamaican culture to us.

After our great experience on the island, I will recommend this to anyone. I never once felt threatened. We were offered many things but once you said no they left you alone. I HIGHLY recommend Winston from JTB....sorry this was long, but I wanted to help since you got many negative responses about Montego Bay

My bf and I just traveled to Montego Bay on carnival conquest 2 weeks ago...I must admit, we were most nervous about this port because of the reviews We read on this site. We decided to get off the ship and check it out anyway..we both agreed that if we felt unsafe we would return to the ship immediately.

Well, I have to tell you that Montego Bay ended up being our favorite port of call. We went to doctors cave beach and had incredible Caribbean jerk chicken at the restaurant there. While laying on the beach we decided we wanted to do something that was not so Americanized but we didn't know what to do. We decided just to find a taxi back to the ship. To our surprise when we walked to the gate of doctors cave we were greeted by a taxi driver named Winston who agreed to take us to the ship. He then told us it would cost $20 for the ride...$15 more than it cost to get to the beach! We agreed to wait for other people headed to the ship to get our cost to go down.

To our surprise the per people wanted to go on a tour of Montego Bay. Winston agreed to take all 6 of us on a 1 hour tour (up in the hills, thru downtown, to a sugar plantation,etc.) and a ride back to the ship for $12 pp! It was the best deal of the whole trip. Winston stopped wherever we wanted and let us take as many pics as we wanted. He also explained the Jamaican culture to us.

After our great experience on the island, I will recommend this to anyone. I never once felt threatened. We were offered many things but once you said no they left you alone. I HIGHLY recommend Winston from JTB....sorry this was long, but I wanted to help since you got many negative responses about Montego Bay

Thanks for posting the positive thoughts. I might have missed it, but you stated "Winston from JTB". What is "JTB"?

• 11 months later...

Just had a tour in Montego Bay Jamaica with Lindsay McFarlane, SNL Jamaican Tours and it was great. Lindsay was ready for us when we got off our ship. Picked us up in his air conditioned van and took us all over the place. He is a very good communicator and explained a lot about the flowers and trees. We saw both the mountains and the city. Had a great lunch of Jerk Chicken. We will contact Lindsay again if we visit Montego Bay again

Just had a tour in Montego Bay Jamaica with Lindsay McFarlane, SNL Jamaican Tours and it was great. Lindsay was ready for us when we got off our ship. Picked us up in his air conditioned van and took us all over the place. He is a very good communicator and explained a lot about the flowers and trees. We saw both the mountains and the city. Had a great lunch of Jerk Chicken. We will contact Lindsay again if we visit Montego Bay again

Glad you had a good time in MoBay. What was your highlight on the tour?

We also used Libertytoursjamaica this pat summer and I highly recommend them. Their website has the tours listed that are offered, but if you are interested in something else, they will customize a tour or you.

http://www.libertytoursjamaica.com

Ricardo from LTJ took us to Secret Falls and Scotchies and this was the highlight of our cruise!