Cellulite and only 2 weeks to go!!!

OK, I've done really well at losing for my cruise. My goal was to lose 15 pounds and I've lost 14 of it already (Wooo Hooo!!!!:D ). BUT (sorry, poor word choice), my upper thighs STILL have cellulite (after 2 babies....go figure!). I thought the weight loss would take care of that and it hasn't. Is there any way to get rid of it with only 2 weeks to go? I don't work out every day. Unless you count running after my 2 children!!! I do, however, take the stairs at work every day (4 flights). I know we all look for miracles before our vacations. I guess I'm praying for one right now. I just do NOT want to wear a bathing suit with this. And, I won't be able to avoid it because we're bringing our 2 little ones with us this time and they LOVE the beach! Help!

Congratulations on your weight loss! Keep up the excellent work! In order to lose the cellulite, you need to incorporate weight training and cardio into your workout program. You must also have a lowlbody fat percentage. When I'm at 15% body fat, I have cellulite, but when I'm at 12% I don't have any. You also need to eat a very low fat diet. Avoid fried and greasy foods.

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, I don't have access to weight training or a "formal" workout because of taking care of my family and working full time. That's why I try to incorporate some cardio workout at work by going up and down the stairs all day long :p

I have been avoiding the greasy foods, I don't eat less than 2 hours before bed time, virtually no sweets and packing on the veggies and protein (somewhat modified adkins). Should I just kick these things up a notch? And, will I be able to eliminate most (if not all) of the cellulite before we cruise?

i feel your pain girl :) i gotta bit of "cottage cheese" on my legs too. I have a white sheer sarong that i wear to the pool or beach, and it makes me feel very comfortable without being covered up.

i think you can pick one up for about $20.00

Massage massage massage! Keep your skin well nourished by massaging oil/cream/lotion onto your problem areas as it helps keeps the skin supple and the massage action helps move fat cells in the deep underlying tissues thereby improving skin tone. Also massage your skin by using a glove or a rough sisal mitt designed for this purpose. This will provide stimulation to your skin. Massage in a circular motion and in upward sweeps towards the heart. In addition to improved appearance, massage also gives the benefits of improved circulation, better skin tone, and reduced muscle pain.

I have many clients who see me specifically for cellulite massage and have cellulite problems virtually disappear with massage alone. This is something that can be accomplished on your own. For fastest results try to massage the problem areas both morning and night. Don't waste your money on the creams marketed for cellulite reduction as it is the massage action that is responsible for the decrease in cellulite not the 'expensive' creams. Do use a cream or lotion with added vitamen E. You can pick up good lotions at your local drugstore or WalMart relatively inexpensive.

Another option is to go tanning. Tanned skin looks healthy and helps hide and diminish flaws. If you do though, make sure you use lots of lotion to replenish skin after tanning.

Make sure you drink enough water throughout the day as it is important to keep skin nourished from the inside also. I make my living giving massages and this is the best advice that I can give you.

You should be able to see improvements relatively quickly and in time for your cruise.

Hope this helps.

Sandie

Fierysand ~ thank you so much for those tips. I am tanning every other day just to save my skin from burning when we leave. I know that helps, too. It also keeps my skin from breaking out. And, I always lather up with lotion to help retain moisture. I will begin the "massage ritual" tonight and let you all know how it's going. Again, thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if it works....because I could never do it, but I've heard that you have to eliminate ALL DAIRY FOODS to rid yourself of cellulite.

I heard this years ago from Victoria Principal (the actress).

Anyone know if it's true?

Anne Maria

This is not true. Dairy products have nothing to do with the formation of cellulite.

Under the skin, there are three layers of fat. The top layer is called the subcutaneous layer and this is where cellulite occurs. Excess fat is stored in the bottom two layers. Cellulite does not occur in these layers. In the top subcutaneous layer there is a mesh like fibrous connective tissue called septae. This tissue's functions are to keep the fat cells tightly packed, provide structural support for the skin, and to insulate the body.

Cellulite occurs when the subcutaneous fat cells are pushed upward and the septae are pushed downward. This results in the fat cells being squeezed into small bulges and appears as lumps or 'orange peel' look of the skin.

Also as women age a women's skin becomes thinner and more fibrous. The change in skin as we age and the carrying of excess fat contribute to the worsening of cellulite's appearance.

This is why massage is an important function in the treatment of cellulite. Use of a cream that contains caffeine is also helpful. Most cellulite creams contain caffeine. Caffeine increases blood flow and stimulates the fat cells to release fat to the bloodstream to be burned by the body's metabolism. Simply put, caffeine acts to drain the fat cells and also tightens and firms the skin to reduce the appearance of cellulite even more. But an expensive cream is not necessarily required. Cellulite creams can be helpful but are in no way required to see results. By massaging the skin with firm hand pressure and use of a mitt you will stimulate the skin thereby improving skin tone.

Most important however is "Water". Drink lots and then drink some more. It is very important to keep the skin hydrated from the inside to prevent the build up of toxins in the tissues.

Sorry for the long winded version. So to summerize, drink lots of water, massage the skin with a good cream or cellulite cream to break down the pockets of fat and to stimulate and tone the skin.

Hope this helps. My cellulite treatments are one of my most popular services.

Sandie

Sandie,

Thanks so much for the wonderful explanation about cellulite.

Well, I drink anywhere from 8 - 10 glasses of water a day. Is that enough or should I be drinking more?

Also is the mitt you use to massage a special type?

Thanks again for all the information.

Anne Maria

So, the morning show I listen to advised this, and I've heard it a couple times. Before my last cruise I thought "WHAT THE HECK, I'll try ANYTHING".

I mixed up warm used caffinated coffee grounds and honey, slathered and massaged it on my problem area (upper back thighs), wrapped them in cellophane, and waddled around the house for a half an hour dripping honey, coffee, and feeling like an idiot. (Oh, get someone you REALLY trust and are comfortable won't laugh or take pics of you to blackmail you with...) I did this for 5 straight days before my cruise and wouldn't you know, my cellulite WAS better. To the point where a very picky me was impressed. Oh yes, and after 1 day of scrubbing the carpets after the "wrapping", I laid down for the half hour... (and in my dream world, Sven would continue to massage the gunk into my thighs... *sigh*)

Now, it's a "quick-fix" as it only lasted about 5 days and the old cottage-cheese look was back after the cruise, but that's the key right there AFTER the cruise...

Might be worth a try! :)

Hi,

As the former poster stated, caffeinated coffee grounds DO work. I do my own body wraps with ace bandages soaked in hot water for about twenty minutes. I then use some sea clay (found in health food stores) and mix with the coffee grounds. I put on a sauna suit (Wal-Mart). I stay wrapped for almost two hours. It's messy, but the results are very noticeable...especially if you do a series of wraps spaced three or four days apart for a few weeks. I've heard you can also mix the grounds with any vitamin E based lotion, but I've never tried it myself. I can only testify to the clay/grounds method.

Remember...since caffeine is one of the main ingredients in many cellulite creams - only caffeinated coffee grounds should be used.

Good luck!

I'm all for diet and exercising and good health, but would you honestly not wear a bathing suit because of a little cellulite?

99.5% of the adult female population has some kind of cellulite on their legs. Even movie stars and super models. A computer erases it in film and print. You may not see it, but believe me, it's there. I'm not sure what it's like on a cruise ship as my first one isn't until March, but any other vacation spot I've ever been to cellulite is everywhere. Just one of those things.

I say don't worry, put on that suit and have fun regardless of a few bumps on your thighs. :)

And no I am not on my way to the garbage to fish out this mornings coffee grounds and look for that jar of honey in the cupboard........;)

beezus*, you are so right...tv and magazines do not offer a realistic portrayal of what women look like. And it makes non celebs feel that attaining an unrealistic perfection should be the goal. Once you go on vacation, you do see it all and nobody cares!! My take on it is to eat right, exercise and drink lots of liquids...fad diets are unhealthy, including the much celbrated Atkins diet. It's not healthy or realistic to have to cut out so many things from your daily diet for weight loss. Everyone needs good carbs (whole grain foods) and protein only, leaving out fruits and vegetables is just not a smart alternative. Moderation, coupled with a healthy lifestyle, including good vitamins, is a much better choice. It also means cutting back on drinking alcoholic beverages and caffeine...and adding more exercise. It's more time consuming and it's necessary to make a conscious time committment to it, but it makes a difference completely, in terms of heart health and as a major stress relief mechanism. I (also) can't imagine myself wrapped in honey and coffee...but maybe it works for some... the power of suggestion...:)

Having added my two cents' worth, and maybe a bit more, I hope you and the original poster have a blast on your cruises!!

Everyone, thank you for the great and varied information.

I have noticed over the last five years (the big 50 one next May). I have maintained my weigth but the total makeup is really changing. My goal is just a healthy body.

fierysand - question What happens to loose skin after weight loss? I've seen some people who look fine after weight loss and others who flap. :confused:

Thanks, I am keeping this as one of my encouraging sites. Start curves tomorrow morning.

Hi Zonicruiser! Your skin is like an elastic band, if the band is overstretched the band will break and you skin will also lose its elacticity when overstretched. Rapid weight gain will result in the skin being overstretched and of course stretch marks. Once you lose weight this skin will not 'shrink' with fat loss and results is loose flabby skin. Rapid weight loss and individuals who lose a lot of weight is also a factor in loose skin. Healthy skin that retains its elacticity will 'shrink' with weight loss.

One of the most determining factors is age. Age is an important factor in loose skin as skin will naturally lose some elacticity as we age. The larger the weight loss the more likelihood of loose skin. Other less important factors include complexion, the amount of sun exposure received over a lifetime, heredity, and whether or not you are a smoker. Fair skinned individuals tend to develop more loose skin than dark skin individuals. Sun worshippers tend to suffer more tissue damage over the years and consequently more loose skin after weight loss. Heredity also plays a role. Finally, smoking breaks down collagen, a major component of skin and other structural components of the body. Smokers develop more loose skin than non-smokers.

Exercise that includes increasing muscle tone can tighten connective tissue between muscles and underlying skin. A regular exercise regimen is helpful to maintain ones weight and can serve to tighten loose skin to some degree. Water, water, water is very important. During and after weight loss it is important to keep the skin hydrated to maintain skins elacticity. Keeping care of the skin is also important. Moisturize the skin by massaging lotion or cream into the skin to help improve skin tone.

Drinking lots of water, good skin care, and proper exercise that includes weights will be important factors in reducing loose skin after weight loss. However, if you lose a large amount of weight you will most likely have loose skin, but these steps will still help.

I know I'm very long winded but I hope this helps.

Sandie

fierysand

Thank you for all of that information, I have always wondered. I started Curves this am for a healthier me. Weight loss goal 50 lbs. but I am not in a hurry. I put it on slowly so I want to take it off slowly. Thank You again for all the information. "Zoni"

I'm small and I don't (by the Grace of God;) ) have a weight problem. BUT,after my 2nd son was born (he's now 4), my stomach skin did not shrink back to normal. I have cut way down on fatty foods (due to high cholesterol) and now I'm starting to do sit ups every day, but I don't really think it will hepl the skin problem. Any ideas?

Archived