Does Carnival Have Onity Locks on the Cabin Doors?

MrPete

Apparently there is a security breach on these things. I will post a link in a little while after it becomes available.

Consumer beware, especially in hotels/motels that use these!

Are you watching the Today Show? They just finished a segment on this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are they saying?

Theres an opening in the bottom of the lock where you just insert this thingie, and the door just opens. NBC usually puts their segments online about a hour after air, so I will post the segment.

http://todaynews.today.com/_news/2012/12/06/15703318-rossen-reports-new-device-lets-crooks-crack-many-hotel-locks?lite

http://todaynews.today.com/_news/2012/12/06/15703318-rossen-reports-new-device-lets-crooks-crack-many-hotel-locks?lite

The last line is the best...lock your valuables in a safe or take it with you. Besides, if these are the locks on cruise ships I don't think a thief is going to be letting himself in and walking out of your room with a handful of clothes, etc. he can't conceal...where's he going to go and where is he going to hide it and how is he going to get if off the ship? I don't think this kind of thief wants to be stuck on a confined space like a ship.

But...just something else for the paranoid to fret over, I guess.

The last line is the best...lock your valuables in a safe or take it with you. Besides' date=' if these are the locks on cruise ships I don't think a thief is going to be letting himself in and walking out of your room with a handful of clothes, etc. he can't conceal...where's he going to go and where is he going to hide it and how is he going to get if off the ship? I don't think this kind of thief wants to be stuck on a confined space like a ship.

But...just something else for the paranoid to fret over, I guess.[/quote']

I've yet to ever hear someone stealing clothes. But it's the stuff that won't fit in a safe that would concern me. The safes aren't big enough, and here I thought I was really only using it to guard against those that do have access to the roOma.

EEK!

Thanks, we travel a lot with my daughters softball team. One more thing to worry about.

That's us. We've been all over the East coast from Boston to Orlando and even the Bahamas with DD's dance team, and I had a sense of security with these type locks. It seems even the hotel management is unaware of this breach.

Locks serve one purpose only, keeping honest people out.

How very true! Also the reason I don't take "big" valuables with me. If what I consider irreplaceable doesn't fit in the safe it stays home. Also, my "great" homeowners does cover items stolen outside my house, even items stolen while on vacation. I just make sure I have serial numbers and photos of valuables I take with me...especially laptops while doing business trips, they have even disappeared from conference rooms at major corporations I am visiting.

It seems even the hotel management is unaware of this breach.

Sorry but you're wrong. Hotel management at many hotels have been aware of this for quite a while and have done nothing as mentioned earlier.

btw...this overall topic is old news. It's been reported many times in at least the last 6 months. NBC is just repeating it.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/24/hacker-finds-flaw-in-hotel-locks/

Sorry but you're wrong. Hotel management at many hotels have been aware of this for quite a while and have done nothing as mentioned earlier.

btw...this overall topic is old news. It's been reported many times in at least the last 6 months. NBC is just repeating it.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/24/hacker-finds-flaw-in-hotel-locks/

So you already knew.

Hopefully this reaches those that don't.

I rarely take anything of real value on vacation. I've always been more concerned about housekeeping than thieves breaking into a room...I guess that comes from having my wallet taken by housekeeping when I was 8 (39 years ago! It was my first wallet and a birthday gift, and had $40 cash in it - also a birthday gift, which was a lot of money then and especially as an 8 year old). I wasn't used to carrying a wallet and left in on the nightstand next to the bed. My dad called the hotel later, but they said nothing was found in the room.

Oh yea I knew. I'm a techie and a Security engineer so I was well aware of this. (...oh and cyclist but it has nothing to do with this story :) )

At least I'll know who I can contact regarding the PSI when I put my Schwinn back on the road. :)

Well, I am not going to worry about it. If I worried about every potential danger to me I'd be a wreck.

Besides, I am too busy worrying because the world is coming to an end on Dec 12th.

It appears you bought the cheap Mayan calendar.

Well, I am not going to worry about it. If I worried about every potential danger to me I'd be a wreck.

Besides, I am too busy worrying because the world is coming to an end on Dec 12th.

Nooooooo!!!!! That's our daughter's birthday. We gotta at least make it to the 21st. ;)

You should see the laughs I initiated taking out my small wooden tennis rackets back in August.

I can only imagine. Did you try playing with it? I hope not, its an antique. I have an old wooden tennis racket on the wall in my man cave as a museum piece. :D

Archived