Does Carnival Have Onity Locks on the Cabin Doors?

MrPete

Mornin' Mr. Pete!

Well, I for one wasn't concerned about the locks on the cruise ship. I immediately thought of the hotel rooms we stay in before and after the cruise and any other time. I have a niece that travels a lot for my great niece's swim meets. It is important information for me to pass along.

I haven't ventured upstairs, here on CC for awhile. Now I remember why. Stil the same snarky comments.

Thank you, Pete, I have already passed the info on to my niece and her mom who also travels extensively. If it "gets" through to at least one person, that there is a potential safety issue then you have done your job to pass it along. Since I did, you did, and who cares about the rest of them! LOLOLOL.:rolleyes:

About as responsible as me saying, "I think your ship will not sail". It's just my opinion, right?

In any case, as I assumed, it was just something you made up and posted it as if it were fact.

Well, its "fact" for me since I have had NOTHING stolen while on a vacation (over 50 years) and have had my house broken into while I was gone. From personal experience, I am Vacation 0, House 1....those are my "facts" and I am sticking to them. Valid as any other study.

Hope that settles the issue.

Mr. Pete..just glad to know,,,will be more diligent with a safe in a motel and while I never take/have too much super fancy..rethink sentimental jewelry...Sarah

Grandad's 20's rackets were bamboo in middle...and I have two schwinns..appx 10 year old and 15 year old ones..and my trike,,,used by all sisters, grandkids and trike to be fixed for great grandkids,,,parents kept..still with my "sarah" liscense plate..if I make it longer than my mom I think it will hold petunias one day on the patio...I think we family people with super keeper and use everything useful mentality..well more sentimental stuff etc.. and wel,l loss is even harder,,I bet you may need a closet to save all those dance costumes,,,at least the first and last tutu and a few prom dresses.

Well, I am not going to worry about it. If I worried about every potential danger to me I'd be a wreck.

Besides, I am too busy worrying because the world is coming to an end on Dec 12th.

You do need a new calendar... ha! The world is coming to an end on December 21. We are going to be on our "doomsday" cruise and in Cozumel that day. Figured we might at well be doing something we love when the time comes. ;)

"Things" can be replaced - and if they can't, don't bring them on vacation. My concern as a woman who sometimes travels alone is someone waiting for me in my room. Just sayin'

Sure they can. But you never get rid of that feeling that they "went through your stuff".

Relevance?

Sure they can. But you never get rid of that feeling that they "went through your stuff".

Relevance?

Having experienced a home robbery I know the feeling of people going through your stuff. Not pleasant. I'm just making a point that personal safety is more important than "things".

Having experienced a home robbery I know the feeling of people going through your stuff. Not pleasant. I'm just making a point that personal safety is more important than "things".

Experienced a burglary. Locks weren't involved. They broke right through the back sliding glass door. We moved.

Never been robbed. Can't imagine watching someone going through my things.

Well' date=' its "fact" for me since I have had NOTHING stolen while on a vacation (over 50 years) and have had my house broken into while I was gone. From personal experience, I am Vacation 0, House 1....those are my "facts" and I am sticking to them. Valid as any other study.

Hope that settles the issue.[/quote']

Therefore, because of your experience, no one should be concerned as it wouldn't happen to them?

Experienced a burglary. Locks weren't involved. They broke right through the back sliding glass door. We moved.

Never been robbed. Can't imagine watching someone going through my things.

If you've experienced a home burglary then people went through your stuff. I'm not really sure why you seem to want to negate what I say but to each their own.

Therefore, because of your experience, no one should be concerned as it wouldn't happen to them?

People can be concerned as much as they want to be and as paranoid about something bad happening to them as they want to be...I'm not about to let the "what may happens" ruin my experiences...and I never, ever said anything about people not being concerned themselves just because I'm not...but I'm not going to be worried about them being worried.

And I think its ironic that you should be staying in a room with a suspect lock...I'm surprised you are still there.

People can be concerned as much as they want to be and as paranoid about something bad happening to them as they want to be...I'm not about to let the "what may happens" ruin my experiences...and I never' date=' ever said anything about people not being concerned themselves just because I'm not...but I'm not going to be worried about them being worried.

And I think its ironic that you should be staying in a room with a suspect lock...I'm surprised you are still there.[/quote']

Why? I'm just not leaving anything of value that I used to consider secure, unsecured.

And after an enjoyable Sunday brunch buffet, sans comedians, I may want to engage myself in an enjoyable discussion with hotel management.

If you've experienced a home burglary then people went through your stuff. I'm not really sure why you seem to want to negate what I say but to each their own.

I said I wasn't robbed, so I didn't have to watch. That differs from your experience, nothing more.

Theres an opening in the bottom of the lock where you just insert this thingie, and the door just opens. NBC usually puts their segments online about a hour after air, so I will post the segment.

http://todaynews.today.com/_news/2012/12/06/15703318-rossen-reports-new-device-lets-crooks-crack-many-hotel-locks?lite

I hope crooks who aren't in the know weren't watching!:eek:

Sorry but you're wrong. Hotel management at many hotels have been aware of this for quite a while and have done nothing as mentioned earlier.

btw...this overall topic is old news. It's been reported many times in at least the last 6 months. NBC is just repeating it.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/24/hacker-finds-flaw-in-hotel-locks/

First time I heard about this and I thought I was an informed news hound. Thanks Pete for posting this, I forwarded it on to friends and family.

The Hilton Garden Inn in Melville, NY does *NOT* use this brand of lock.

Perhaps this problem is not as widespread as previously reported. NBC provided NO statistics as to how many hotel chains actually have this lock installed.

Perhaps this problem is not as widespread as previously reported. NBC provided NO statistics as to how many hotel chains actually have this lock installed.

Maybe not, but the company is paying for the fix:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2012/12/06/lock-firm-onity-starts-to-shell-out-for-security-fixes-to-hotels-hackable-locks/

And it seems to be some top hotel chains that have been using them...which I'm sure has a trickledown effect to any of their more 'budget conscious' chains as well.

From my experience in the hospitality field, I'd say Onity is the #1 or 2 supplier of lock systems in US hotels.

There has always been a box, called a portable programmer, that the hotel has that can be used to open any door. I guess some enterprising crooks have figured out how to build their own.

"Originally Posted by cotatica

I'm taking an I pad on my next cruise. Will it fit in a Carnival safe?"

Yes, your ipad will fit into the safe.

Regards,

OSJ

An Ipad mini will fit--larger would be doubtful for me. Of course, an Iphone fits. I am guessing anything larger than an 8 inch screen would be unlikely but I've tried only a 7 inch screen tablet.

An Ipad mini will fit--larger would be doubtful for me. Of course, an Iphone fits. I am guessing anything larger than an 8 inch screen would be unlikely but I've tried only a 7 inch screen tablet.

Hubby has a 10.1 inch acer tablet that will fit in the safe as long as it is not in its case... my older Nook fits perfectly in its case.. and we can actually get both in at the same time....

Archived