Does Carnival Have Onity Locks on the Cabin Doors?

MrPete

Always put what you don't want to lose in the safe or carry it with you!!!!!

Last week on the Dream the cabin steward had my mom's cabin door open with a wedge. My wife and I had just left the steakhouse and was bringing our dessert to her cabin and simply walked in her cabin put it in the fridge and left . I am not sure if anyone saw me and if they did they certainly didn't say anything.

crooks are everywhere a ship is no exception.

Sometimes carrying it with you is not an option - I certainly don't want to carry around passports, a credit card and all my cash - sounds like we need to make sure any hotel we use has a safe - and that all valuables fit into it and are therefore secure???

In fact somewhere like Barcelona this would not be recommended due to the large amount of pickpockets - I only carried what I needed 'for that day' and left everything else in my hotel room safe!

Theres an opening in the bottom of the lock where you just insert this thingie, and the door just opens. NBC usually puts their segments online about a hour after air, so I will post the segment.

http://todaynews.today.com/_news/2012/12/06/15703318-rossen-reports-new-device-lets-crooks-crack-many-hotel-locks?lite

I see the link provided now includes the video from the TV report.

http://todaynews.today.com/_news/2012/12/06/15703318-rossen-reports-new-device-lets-crooks-crack-many-hotel-locks?lite

The last line is the best...lock your valuables in a safe or take it with you. Besides' date=' if these are the locks on cruise ships I don't think a thief is going to be letting himself in and walking out of your room with a handful of clothes, etc. he can't conceal...where's he going to go and where is he going to hide it and how is he going to get if off the ship? I don't think this kind of thief wants to be stuck on a confined space like a ship.

But...just something else for the paranoid to fret over, I guess.[/quote']

Even if they take stuff that can be concealed. With all the cameras in the hall ways would to easy to id and locate the person.

Even if they take stuff that can be concealed. With all the cameras in the hall ways would to easy to id and locate the person.

Besides, what thief is going to pay money to travel on a cruise ship just so they can burgle unsuspecting passengers...they have plenty of landbased hotels to fulfill their quotas. Also, for those worrying about pickpockets, just purchase a money belt or a neck-wallet and keep it secure.

I, for one, can think of hundreds of things that can go wrong on a vacation but I think the chances of having your personal items "stolen" are way less then having your residence broken into while you are away.

Besides' date=' what thief is going to pay money to travel on a cruise ship just so they can burgle unsuspecting passengers...they have plenty of landbased hotels to fulfill their quotas. Also, for those worrying about pickpockets, just purchase a money belt or a neck-wallet and keep it secure.

I, for one, can think of hundreds of things that can go wrong on a vacation but I think the chances of having your personal items "stolen" are way less then having your residence broken into while you are away.[/quote']

Do you have any stats on that?

Before all you people go running for the hills, iPads and Mayan calendars in hand, has it even been ascertained that Carnival uses the Onity system? The pics I find in a Google search look like Ving locks. With Onity locks the key card he's in from the top. Vingcard locks have the slot in the front.

The only thing NBCs report has done is made more thieves aware of this. If there were X crims busting into hotel rooms before, now there are 2X. Just the MSM doing what it does best, scaring people and making the problem worse!

Before all you people go running for the hills, iPads and Mayan calendars in hand, has it even been ascertained that Carnival uses the Onity system?

The only thing NBCs report has done is made more thieves aware of this. If there were X crims busting into hotel rooms before, now there are 2X. Just the MSM doing what it does best, scaring people and making the problem worse!

Seems that some would rather have their heads in the clouds, than their valuables in a safe.

BTW, this was not intended to be a debatable post. It was meant as an FYI. If anyone wants to keep their door open the entire cruise, that's their business. Just make sure your mini bar cabinette is unlocked. Seems that's the most valuable product in most cabins, and is not easily traceable.

But what I do know is, I will be checking the lock type at my hotel tonight, as well as securing EVERYTHING valuable.

Well, I am not going to worry about it. If I worried about every potential danger to me I'd be a wreck.

Besides, I am too busy worrying because the world is coming to an end on Dec 12th.

Oh No!!!! :eek: ....Not Dec. 12th.

I am on the Celebrity Summit on Dec. 15th!

bth_BlueCruiseShip.gif

LOL!!!

CJ

Not too worried about this on the cruise ships since camera's are placed in strategic places and lots of foot traffic in halllways. BUT when we leave the room (especially in hotels) we always put the "do not disturb" sign out and leave the tv on. Of course that's not foolproof but hopefully a detriment.

NOPE...hence the "I think" in my post....do you have stats to PROVE my opinion wrong....go for it!

About as responsible as me saying, "I think your ship will not sail". It's just my opinion, right?

In any case, as I assumed, it was just something you made up and posted it as if it were fact.

Archived