what to do in st vincent ?

cochin321

Arriving via cruise ship on a Sunday. Ferries to anywhere won't get back in time so thats not doable . Was thinking of climbing La Soufriere. Are there any public buses going up that way ? Also , ive read villa beach and buccament bay are just ok and nothing that great, anybody want to change my mind or give some other report on a nice beach ? Also, if all else fails , then renting a motorcycle my be the best alternative . Are there places to do this close by the port ? Thanks...

think hiking La Soufriere is too ambitious a plan for a one-day cruise stop. La Soufriere is at the far northern end of the island, while Kingstown (where you dock) is at the southern end. The roads are adequate but very narrow and twisty, so the drive there and back would eat up a fair amount of time. The hike, itself, is challenging and could take three or more hours.

The public buses are small vans driven by entrepreneurs. We loved riding them, but you will be crammed in with as many people as can be squeezed in - not the thing for a long road trip probably. As well, the vans are much less frequent the farther you get away from Kingstown. I don't think you can count on catching a van when you might want one. Especially on Sunday.

St Vincent isn't really a fabulous island for beaches. They tend to be in small coves and not really set up with chair rentals, umbrellas and snack bars. If you decide on a beach day, arrange with a taxi driver to take you to a white sand beach, rather than black sand, and pick you up for the return trip. Your info is correct - the beach at Villa is not very appealing and neither is Buccament Bay.

If I had one day in St Vincent here are my top choices. 1) Book in advance for a day trip on a boat that would take you along part of the coast, including a beach stop and snorkelling. Hazeco and Fantasea are two companies to try for that. or 2) Walk around Kingstown exploring, including the Botanical Garden on the outskirts.

On Trip Advisor site you will find a St. Vincent & Genadines thread. Post your question there, and I'm sure you'll get excellent other suggestions.

Thanks for that info. Was now thinking of just heading to Beachcombers Hotel to use the pool for a bit and then like you mention, walk around Kingstown to see some sights....Although if i can find a motorcycle rental , i'm gonna go with that i think...

• 3 weeks later...

I have just come back from St.Vincent. Kingstown is quiet on Sundays. We booked a ship's tour to go to Montreal Gardens. It's pretty far on the winding roads. Taxis will also take you there. Never saw a motorcycle.

Montreal Gardens is privately owned by a professional landscaper who did a great job designing a tropical garden up in the hills with a mountain backdrop. Other people did the Vermont Trail tour - much more strenuous.

So far I have met three St. Vincent guides, all of them highly informative and interesting personalities. It wouldn't have been the same without them. If you want some excitement, sit on the front seat to the left of the driver and look out the window at your left shoulder when the road becomes really narrow.

Archived