Galveston Flights and Hotel info

ALSPAUGHDOLL

I am usually very desisive making decisions when we travel but I am struggling with this trip. We are flying from Detroit to Galveston for our cruise on the Magic on Feb 3rd. I need help making a number of decisions. First I am planning on arriving at IHA around 5:30p the night before. Its Mardi Gras in Galveston 2/1-2/12. So do you think its best just to get a hotel by the airport. I am unsure how crazy Mardi Gras gets but I am traveling with my kids 5 and 7 and don't want them to see too much craziness. Is it even crazy? Also for our return flight is 12:46p to early and will the airport be busier with Mardi Gras. Or does that not have a huge impact on the city like it does in NOLA. Am I over thinking this? Last year we took the Dream out of Port Caneveral and had a nightmare getting off the ship and almost missed our return flight even though we had everything planned right, if it could have gone wrong it did. Andy advise. And can you please explain to me why it is so expensive to fly to Houston?? That alone is costing us a small fortune!!

first off -

Airfare: I would suggest checking out using Southwest .. They fly into Hobby airport which is only 30 miles to port versus 70 miles from IAH. and the first bag flys free might save a little money $460+/-

next -

The Mardis Gras in Galveston is not up to the New Orleans show

Most of the action will be at the Strand downtown near the ship docking area.

If you find some of the motels on the west side of the town( Moody's $$$)- and some less expensive nearby, should not be a problem and the show will probably not be in the area.

I am usually very desisive making decisions when we travel but I am struggling with this trip. We are flying from Detroit to Galveston for our cruise on the Magic on Feb 3rd. I need help making a number of decisions. First I am planning on arriving at IHA around 5:30p the night before. Its Mardi Gras in Galveston 2/1-2/12. So do you think its best just to get a hotel by the airport. I am unsure how crazy Mardi Gras gets but I am traveling with my kids 5 and 7 and don't want them to see too much craziness. Is it even crazy? Also for our return flight is 12:46p to early and will the airport be busier with Mardi Gras. Or does that not have a huge impact on the city like it does in NOLA. Am I over thinking this? Last year we took the Dream out of Port Caneveral and had a nightmare getting off the ship and almost missed our return flight even though we had everything planned right, if it could have gone wrong it did. Andy advise. And can you please explain to me why it is so expensive to fly to Houston?? That alone is costing us a small fortune!!

Sara,

I'd also highly recommend going with Southwest if you can...From Detroit to Hobby, you'll have to make a stop somewhere...But, fares are relatively reasonable...and no luggage fees...AND, your ground transportation from Hobby to Galveston, though still pricey, will be less than from IAH...

That is what we're doing for our cruise next week...Our air from LAX to Hobby on Southwest is running us $400 round trip per person...

I would also look at getting a flight that leaves a little later after the cruise...since the drive to the airport is a bit long and you never know about delays...

Good luck...

Archived