Bringing Wine & Beer Onboard

sjmbruce

• 3 weeks later...

Port Everglades, I witnessed no issues with hand checked luggage....I don't know what would happen with a case of beer or wine sent thru checked luggage.....I did send thru a case of water and a case of Hansen Ginger Ale without issue by running packing tape around ends to ensure one did not fall out with rough handling...and just slapped the luggage tags on top and taped down with clear packing tape.....

• 3 weeks later...

Based on other posts I've read, I'm considering picking up a case of wine at Total Wine and taking it on my future Island Princess cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale. As I understand it, I can put a luggage tag on the case, drop it at the pier with my other luggage (maybe tip the porter a little extra) and it will be delivered to my room. Any recent issues with doing this? Should I try to "hide" the case within a duffle bag?

We are sailing on Crown out of Galveston next month. On Carnival they require you to bring your bottle of wine in your carry-on now, and the last few times I've boarded in Galveston they have been absolutely obsessed with inspecting every single bottle of water, soda, and wine people bring through the terminal. It has been absolutely ridiculous in my opinion.

My question, since Princess uses the same terminal as the Carnival ships, are they not possibly the same employees doing the inspections for princess? And perhaps the same obsessiveness with liquids? Can I just put a couple of bottles of wine in my checked baggage and not have to lug a heavy backpack around while we are waiting to get into our staterooms? Are they allowing more than one bottle of wine per person, or are they strictly enforcing their policy now?

I would like to hear from somebody who has boarded in Galveston recently.

Thanks!

We were on last week's cruise and had no problem taking our wine on in our carryon. embankment was very good but our time to leave the ship was 9.30 and because of not enough people at immigration we did not leave the docksite until after 12. Too much time standing in line. Otherwise it was a great cruise.

We are sailing on Crown out of Galveston next month. On Carnival they require you to bring your bottle of wine in your carry-on now, and the last few times I've boarded in Galveston they have been absolutely obsessed with inspecting every single bottle of water, soda, and wine people bring through the terminal. It has been absolutely ridiculous in my opinion.

My question, since Princess uses the same terminal as the Carnival ships, are they not possibly the same employees doing the inspections for princess? And perhaps the same obsessiveness with liquids? Can I just put a couple of bottles of wine in my checked baggage and not have to lug a heavy backpack around while we are waiting to get into our staterooms? Are they allowing more than one bottle of wine per person, or are they strictly enforcing their policy now?

I would like to hear from somebody who has boarded in Galveston recently.

Thanks!

On Princess you get your room apon boarding.

@mitsy was this at the port in Galveston? We cruise in a little over 2 weeks

Yes, we bought our wine in Galveston. Had 2 in each carryon. there was no problem taking on board. We did take to dining room and paid corkage. In Cozamel we bought our take home liquor (2nd last day) and we went thro the check point with them in our backpacks and were not stopped. I really didn't see a turn in table there. It might have been bit I didn't see it.

On our last 10 day Caribbean cruise, we had the cab driver stop at the grocery store and we bought beer. When we got to the port we put a luggage tag on the beer and it beat our luggage to the room. No problem. We also bought beer in port and carried on in our bag. We did not take this on deck but kept in our room. Our cabin steward was nice enough to bring us extra ice for a folding cooler that we brought with us.:)

Just returned from the Grand Princess Brazilian Adventure. Sailed out of pier 29. Saw no one having to open their carry on. There was no table with an attendant confiscating alcohol. We stopped the day before embarkation and picked up 4 bottles of wine, each 1.5 liter, and had no problem carrying them on at Port Everglades. At several ports, we bought local beer to sample in our room and they went through the scanner upon reboarding with no problem. Again, did not see any attendant and table for confiscating alcohol.

Note however, that in the Princess Patter, there was info advising passengers not to bring liquor onboard.

Carnival, Royal Caribbean and some other lines are a pain in the rear end. Princess is great when it comes to treating adults as adults.

Hondu

"I live for experiences, not material things"

As a frequent Royal Caribbean cruiser all of that would have been a No-No. As of November this year, RCI is now allowing 2 bottles of wine per cabin. I went on a cruise a few weeks ago with them. What a pain in the rear...I figured with them allowing the wine now they would handle it much like Princess. Boy was I wrong! I REALLY appreciate the way Princess treats people like adults! We carried on 2 bottles of wine. After going through security, we were led to a another table (with a line) to declare the wine. We had to wait there and then the lady took our seapass info. down and we had to "sign" to bring the wine onboard. I also had to then take the bottles out of my carry on to show them (i have no idea why since I just went through security). That seemed a little outrageous.

The above post sounded like my DD and my experience with CCL on our Carnival-Destiny cruise last year leaving Miami. The CCL-'guards' inspected our two carry-on Wine bottles..inspecting the bottle tops to make sure they were not resealed, etc. Also, we had to show our S&S cards too. Didn't have to go to another table, thank goodness.

With that past CCL experience behind me, this year on my CCL-Magic cruise with my BFF...we thought we would have to go through the same ordeal, but we didn't have to do anything but place our carry-ons on the conveyor belt-going through the scanner. No CCL'guards' inspected our two bottles of Wine in Galveston as they did in Miami.

On our Grand-PCL cruise this past Nov.. the DH bought a bottle of Vodka in St. Thomas....he just put in in his backpack...it went through scanners...nothing said to him about turning it in. In the past on other PCL cruises, the DH was asked to take his liquor he bought in port to the table to be checked in and then it was given back to him on the last cruise night. So as for bringing liquor on board at ports of call.....it all depends on the ship's staff and how they 'check' for stuff.

:confused:I am curious to know if the new Wine policy that PCL has recently added to their pax-contract will be enforced in FL more than at other cruise port at embarkation. So if pax who have cruised since Jan. 2013 can share their experiences cruising out of FL and how much Wine was allowed when they embarked....that would be appreciated.

Archived