No Insurance

scaredykat

Pineview,

That's EXTREMELY high. Have you checked insuremytrip.com? I've always been able to get it for anywhere from $40-70 pp, depending on the cost of the trip and the age of the passengers. (For instance, my 52-yr-old mother's insurance costs about $15-20 more than mine - I'm 23 yrs old.)

Shop around - that seems outrageously high to me unless the quote was for several people added together.

DH and I always used to buy insurance due to my mom's poor health (she had emphysema and congestive heart failure). After she passed away in 2004, we considered not purchasing insurance for our Alaskan cruise. I told my husband I'd rather be safe than sorry, so we bought it. Several days before our cruise was scheduled to leave in May of this year, my dad was hospitalized for a heart problem and needed angioplasty due to some severe blockage in several arteries. Needless to say, we had to cancel the cruise; luckily we had insurance to cover this situation or we would have been our thousands of dollars.

We've just completed the claims forms and hope to have our refund within the next few weeks so we can book another cruise.

Have cruised 8 times. Family of 6. Never have purchased insurance, nor have I ever needed it. I guess I might be considered lucky, but I am leaving on a cruise on the Valor in 3 weeks and don't have insurance for a group of 6. I have checked and I have full medical coverage on the ship and out of the country.

I would basically be purchasing the coverage for trip cancellation. I'm a risk taker. I'll take my chances. I've been taking vacations with my family for 25 years and haven't missed one yet!!

I don't oppose the insurance, I just don't ever take it.

We purchased TravelGuard through www.insuremytrip.com for $156 for 2pp. This was for a $1000 trip each ages 39 and 45.

We got:

Accident and Sickness medical expenses $50K each

Accidental Death/Dismemberment $25K each

Baggage and travel documents $1K each

Baggage Delay $200 each

Emergency Medical Transportation $300K each

Travel Delay $1K each

Trip Cancellation $amount of trip

Trip Interruption 125% of trip cost

Change of mind 15 day benefits $250 each

Tour Operator/Airline Delay $amount of trip

This was also the very first trip neither of us had to use the insurance, but we were very glad to have it.

Amlindmark, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. That is such a young age. My husband unexpectedly had a stroke at the age of 45, 3 weeks before we were due to sail. He had absolutely no risk factors at all and was the picture of health as far as we knew. Thank the Lord he survived; my heart goes out to you.

ScottP, are you absolutely sure your medical coverage would kick in if you were out of the country? Most don't. And even if it does, would it cover a medical evacuation, which would cost tens of thousands of dollars. I don't mean to jinx you, but for the $95 my husband and I pay (total), I feel it's worth the peace of mind. Not to mention the fact that we've had to put in claims twice now for things we totally did not expect.

we've been on 2 cruises and had insurnace both times (first cruise we used travelguard (www.travelguard.com) cause our travel agent recommended it and it was about $110 for both of us (it's based on age and cost of cruise - we are early 30s and got balacony room on 7 night cruise) and the 2nd cruise we got www.accessamerica.com and it was $127 for junior suite 7 night cruise.

Havent needed to use it yet (and hope to never have to) but it's worth the piece of mind to know we have it - for all of the things it covers both before and during the cruise. It's like that Aflack insurance you see commercials for on tv - you have it if you need it.

We have never gotten insurance on the previous five cruises that we have been on and we have been blessed not to have anything happen to us on those cruises.

We are getting insurance for our next cruise b/c we have an 2 year old that we will be leaving behind. We are getting insurance just in case something happens to her and we have to cut our cruise short. Rather be safe than sorry.

I just purchased travel plus Travelex through insuremytrip. I will have the peace of mind that if any (heaven forbid) did happen that we would be covered. Thanks to all about your experience with insuremytrip. This will cost $135 for both of us. We are 60, so didn't think that was to bad.

Archived