An Oasis Transatlantic

smoosh21

There probably will be one in 2014. During a talk with some of the senior officers on the Allure, the subject of Dry Dock for the Oasis came up. I found out that there are rules that require passenger ships to dry dock once every 5 years during their first 15 years of service. This was not a dry dock to make changes, but rather to go over all of the systems of the ships and to do a good inspection of the hull.

The only shipyards in North America big enough to handle Oasis and Allure are the Navy shipyards. Because of this, Royal is probably going to have to sail Oasis and Allure back to Europe when they need to go into Dry dock.

Of course this was just talk, but there is a chance that there will be a Transatlantic on the Oasis sometime in 2014. I just thought that this was something to keep in mind for those who would look forward to that type of trip.

A few months ago I had heard this same thing on Liberty. The captain said Oasis would have to dry dock in Amsterdam. I made up my mind then and there that I would be on that trans-Atlantic cruise. I can't think of a better ship (except maybe Allure) to do a TA on. And, of course, Oasis will have to return to the US also, another opportunity for a TA.

Allure may need to do the same thing in 2015. Yet another opportunity.

There probably will be one in 2014. During a talk with some of the senior officers on the Allure, the subject of Dry Dock for the Oasis came up. I found out that there are rules that require passenger ships to dry dock once every 5 years during their first 15 years of service. This was not a dry dock to make changes, but rather to go over all of the systems of the ships and to do a good inspection of the hull.

The only shipyards in North America big enough to handle Oasis and Allure are the Navy shipyards. Because of this, Royal is probably going to have to sail Oasis and Allure back to Europe when they need to go into Dry dock.

Of course this was just talk, but there is a chance that there will be a Transatlantic on the Oasis sometime in 2014. I just thought that this was something to keep in mind for those who would look forward to that type of trip.

There is one shipyard in the US that has drydock's large enough for Oasis/Allure and that is in Newport News, Virginia. This shipyard is privately owned and does build ships for the US Navy including aircraft carriers but also works on civillian ships as well. I'm not saying that this shipyard would do any overhaul/inspection contract for the Oasis/Allure but it could accomodate those ships if they did.

There is one shipyard in the US that has drydock's large enough for Oasis/Allure and that is in Newport News, Virginia. This shipyard is privately owned and does build ships for the US Navy including aircraft carriers but also works on civillian ships as well. I'm not saying that this shipyard would do any overhaul/inspection contract for the Oasis/Allure but it could accomodate those ships if they did.

I have read that the problem with this shipyard is that the Navy ships will always get priority. So if they cancel very last minute in that case Royal Caribbean will have a big problem with filling the ship for the weeks that the ships were suppose to be in dry dock.

That is what I had heard... Norfolk, VA!!!

I have read that the problem with this shipyard is that the Navy ships will always get priority. So if they cancel very last minute in that case Royal Caribbean will have a big problem with filling the ship for the weeks that the ships were suppose to be in dry dock.

It's not so much that Navy ships have priority as they are scheduled to be in the drydock way in advance for most of their work. This shipyard has multiple dry docks large enough for a ship the size of Oasis/Allure. There is also a Navy shipyard available in the Norfolk, Va. area to handle any ships that need emergency repair work. Just FYI. :)

We were told very specifically that this shipyard can not handle Royal, because the shipyard does not guarantee space. If any US Navy ship needs space, all commercial shipping is bumped out. Since these cruise lines cannot work on a variable schedule Newport News is not an option.

Royal has apparently considered and rejected Newport News

We were told very specifically that this shipyard can not handle Royal, because the shipyard does not guarantee space. If any US Navy ship needs space, all commercial shipping is bumped out. Since these cruise lines cannot work on a variable schedule Newport News is not an option.

Royal has apparently considered and rejected Newport News

See my post #14. Anyway, I was just pointing out that this shipyard could accomodate ships the size of Oasis/Allure. Yes this shipyard does a lot of work for the US Navy and almost all of the US Navy work is scheduled years in advance. There are multiple shipyards in this area that can accomodate US Navy repair work. If Newport News wanted I am sure they could schedule a yard period for any ship Royal Caribbean has. It's more likely that Royal chooses not to use Newport News as they probably are not the low bidder.

As much fan as it sounds, I would not want to be on that TA. I remember talking to folks that were onboard when she first came over. Whew. She's a big gal and when those seas got real rough she felt it.

But if the waters were relatively calm it would be quite an experience.

• 2 weeks later...
Will she fit under the bridge in Lisbon?
Probably not. As built in the 1960s the then Salazar Bridge had a clearance of 70 metres [~229.5 feet]. This would accommodate Oasis' 213 feet with lowered funnel. However in the late 1990s a lower level for railroad was added to the [new name, same bridge] 25 April Bridge . I haven't located a clearance for this level, but highly likely it is less than 213 feet.

Thom

While a TA is appealing, a TA on the Oasis class guarantees plenty of options! For us, the ship is the destination so I while I would seriously consider it, as a PP mentioned, the sea's during the crossing would be my only concern,

you could do a sort of TA back to back....

TA eastbound to amsterdam, then tour around europe during the week or two that the oasis is in dry dock, then TA westbound back to the US!

talk about perfect!!!! :)

There was talk a while back of it doing a spring TA, doing sailings in Europe/Med for the summer, and then a fall TA.

Archived