An Oasis Transatlantic

smoosh21

There is one shipyard in the US that has drydock's large enough for Oasis/Allure and that is in Newport News, Virginia. This shipyard is privately owned and does build ships for the US Navy including aircraft carriers but also works on civillian ships as well. I'm not saying that this shipyard would do any overhaul/inspection contract for the Oasis/Allure but it could accomodate those ships if they did.

Just what I was going to say. NNS is plenty big to handle this. The TA does sound great, though.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone heard whether they will do a hotel refit (eg carpets, bathrooms etc) while Oasis is in dry dock?

If yes we would book the return TA for sure!

Royal Caribbean generally keeps their ships on a 5 year schedule for dry docking. As this would be the first one for Oasis the dry dock schedule will more than likely focus on the ships main machinery, hull integrity, systems checks, and probably just a general sprucing up of the ships interior.

• 4 months later...

I heard that OASIS class ships are not good in rough weather so maybe they don't take passengers on TA . Those ships make problems because of the size. After dry dock the ship is in the Med for a couple of short cruises but they don't offer TA in the moment. I think it is not a good idea to bring these big ones to Europe. Not the ports are the problems ( Livorno, Barcelona... no problem) but the many people in small areas. Think how crowded it is when Oasis and some other ships are in a port.

I heard that OASIS class ships are not good in rough weather so maybe they don't take passengers on TA . Those ships make problems because of the size. After dry dock the ship is in the Med for a couple of short cruises but they don't offer TA in the moment. I think it is not a good idea to bring these big ones to Europe. Not the ports are the problems ( Livorno, Barcelona... no problem) but the many people in small areas. Think how crowded it is when Oasis and some other ships are in a port.

Oasis will be doing an Eastbound TA on September 1, 2014 to Barcelona, and then on October 14, 2014 she will leave Rotterdam for Southampton and then on October 15 Southampton to Fort Lauderdale. Both TAs are revenue sailings.:)

If they don't do a TA, then I wonder what I booked for October 14, 2014! :D

As Patti has said the Oasis is doing a TA in both directions with passengers in Sept/Oct next year and we already know cruisers who are doing both legs and spending that 4/5 weeks in Europe, pretty pricy at the moment.

Archived