Hiring a taxi/proposed itinerary

JSinFL

Hi everyone,

We are trying to put together a day in Barbados as first-time visitors. We are a family of four on a VERY port-intensive itinerary, and while the whole point of cruising is seeing new places, we are trying to minimize our costs. I really am trying not to spend $500-$600 in every port times 5 ports! :o

We are thinking of just getting off the cruise ship and negotiating with a taxi driver to take us on a private tour. The three places I really want to see are St Nicholas Abbey, Farley National Park and Rockley Beach.

I looked at Glory Tours, but it looks like they average $100 per person and we are not really interested in the Wildlife Reserve nor Harrison's Cave. Entrance to St Nicholas would cost us $70, Farley National Park and Rockley Beach are pretty much free, and other people have consistently reported that negotiate about $25 per hour for a private taxi. So I figure for the four of us, we could potentially spend half of what we spend with Glory Tours.

Any feedback on this plan is GREATLY appreciated. Have I outlined something that is easily doable when the ship is there from 8 am - 5 pm? Are my cost estimates valid, or would it really be more cost effective to book a tour? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Hi everyone,

We are trying to put together a day in Barbados as first-time visitors. We are a family of four on a VERY port-intensive itinerary, and while the whole point of cruising is seeing new places, we are trying to minimize our costs. I really am trying not to spend $500-$600 in every port times 5 ports! :o

We are thinking of just getting off the cruise ship and negotiating with a taxi driver to take us on a private tour. The three places I really want to see are St Nicholas Abbey, Farley National Park and Rockley Beach.

I looked at Glory Tours, but it looks like they average $100 per person and we are not really interested in the Wildlife Reserve nor Harrison's Cave. Entrance to St Nicholas would cost us $70, Farley National Park and Rockley Beach are pretty much free, and other people have consistently reported that negotiate about $25 per hour for a private taxi. So I figure for the four of us, we could potentially spend half of what we spend with Glory Tours.

Any feedback on this plan is GREATLY appreciated. Have I outlined something that is easily doable when the ship is there from 8 am - 5 pm? Are my cost estimates valid, or would it really be more cost effective to book a tour? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Hi,

When you looked at Glory Tours website, did you notice that they also do private tours in addition to their regular full and half day tours? You can arrange a private van tour for 4-6 people for a a full day or a 3-4 hour trip. The cost for a 3-4 hour custom tour for 4-6 people is $171.00 (pre-paid) or $190.00 U.S. total.

Our party of 5 booked a private 4 hour tour in April, 2012 and visited Hunte's Gardens, Bathsheba, and St. Nicholas Abbey and then drove back to the cruise terminal along the west coast. We were able to get a discount on our tickets to St. Nicholas Abbey. I would imagine that a 4 hour private tour would give you plenty of time to visit St. Nicholas Abbey, Farley National Park, and Rockley Beach. I highly recommend Glory Tours. We thoroughly enjoyed going at our own pace on our custom tour and plan to use Glory Tours again on our next visit to Barbados.

Mary

Thanks Mary and John for your replies. I did email St Nicholas Abbey and they are closed on Dec 26th, the date we will be in Barbados. Since it is Boxing Day and Barbados is a former British colony, I imagine a lot of places will be closed. I may contact Glory Tours as you suggest and inquire about private tours, or we may just make Barbados our beach port and go be taxi to a nearby beach. :) Thanks again.

Archived