Mariner Reef & Rays exc. "Royal" Rip-Off

Sailed Mariner 5/22 (Western Carib). DO NOT BOOK "RAYS & REEF" IN THE CAYMANS!!!. The tour is conducted by Resort Sports Ltd. out of Georgetown.These people are CROOKS!!! They took us to a nice reef for the "Reef" portion of the tour.After 30 minutes they had us board the boat, moved it about 300 yards and told us we were at Stingray City.WE WERE NOT AT STINGRAY CITY!!! We were the only boat there at 1:00pm, it was not a shallow sand bar, there were only 4 or 5 stingrays.If you have ever been to or seen Stingray City on documentaries (also RCI has a video for purchase on excursions featuring Stingray City) you will know we were NOT there.Several people on our tour had been to the real Stingray City and they KNEW we had been taken.We talked to several people back onboard Mariner who were at Stingray City at 1PM.There were about 15 boats from different tours and hundreds of stingrays on the shallow sand bar.IF YOU ARE SAILING MARINER, DO NOT TAKE THIS RIP-OFF TOUR!!! I have filed a complaint with RCI as did several other people and I will also put this excursion charge in dispute with my Credit card company.If you were on this tour I urge you to do the same.I have sailed RCI many times and have always been very, very pleased and I will sail them again as they can't control the actions of the deceptive thiefs who conducted this tour.DON'T BE TAKEN AS I WAS!!!

Was it a actual RCI excursion that you booked through RCI? Ya you definitley were not at stringray city. We were there years ago and I was so chicken to get into the waist warm water with hundreds of stringrays around me and many other boats with loads of people. So sorry about that. Did anyong question the people who took you there?

I agree. I did one on Rhapsody ("Ray and Reef Combo w/ Lunch") and it was pitifully disorganized, horribly crowded, had substandard transportation and gear, and yet still cost a bundle. I tried to make the best of it, but should have let them know of our displeasure.

First of all, I am not saying your are incorrect. However, there is a reef that is not too far from Sting Ray City.

Were you the only boat at the "Stingray City" where you went? That would be hard to believe you were at the real place.

we have been to Stingray City a couple of times previously. One time, the water was actually up to our necks with alot of motion. The other time, it was waist deep. However, when we went this year, I was shocked. It was not quite like I remembered -- there were so few stingrays. Our boat captain told us that they had lost about 40% of the rays in the hurricane last fall. So, bottom line is that the real Stingray City probaby isn't what you expected in any event.

First of all, I am not saying your are incorrect. However, there is a reef that is not too far from Sting Ray City.

Were you the only boat at the "Stingray City" where you went? That would be hard to believe you were at the real place.

we have been to Stingray City a couple of times previously. One time, the water was actually up to our necks with alot of motion. The other time, it was waist deep. However, when we went this year, I was shocked. It was not quite like I remembered -- there were so few stingrays. Our boat captain told us that they had lost about 40% of the rays in the hurricane last fall. So, bottom line is that the real Stingray City probaby isn't what you expected in any event.

When I was in Grand Cayman last December, after the hurricanes, we had some friends that went to Sting Ray City and it was just as they had always remembered it. I'm not sure why the change between then and now.

Thanks for the heads up! We are taking that same cruise in December and I'm taking any advice I can get!

You were at Stingray City but not at the sandbar. Stingray City is the area of reefs. The Stingray sandbar is at Stingray City. You have to read the excursion descriptions. You ended up on one that did not do the sandbar but that does not mean you were not at Stingray city.

We were the only boat there.You could not see another boat anywhere (I mean all the way to the horizon). Other people onboard Mariner who went on other Stingray City Excursions saw hundred of rays ( so much for the "hurricane myth" )

Yep, there are a few different Stingray City tours. The one you took doesn't say Stingray City "Sandbar", unfortunately. However, in your favor, the picture on RCCL's website for this excursion shows people wading around with them. I also agree that it is confusing and should state specifically that it is not going to the sandbar.

We have had both experiences with the same company that we booked ourselves. It was Nativeway.

The first year we went from the stingrays to the reef in a matter of a few hundred feet. The water was neck high and we had several stingrays, but not another boat in site. We loved it!

Our second experience was with many, many other boats and tons of stingrays...also many screaming tourist! The water was more shallow and the reef further away. Although we had a good time, we honestly enjoyed being the only boat/group with our first trip.

The ocean is a huge area and "Stingray City" sand bar stretches a long way and varies in depth, so it is really inaccurate to say that you were not in Stingray City.

We have had both experiences with the same company that we booked ourselves. It was Nativeway.

The first year we went from the stingrays to the reef in a matter of a few hundred feet. The water was neck high and we had several stingrays, but not another boat in site. We loved it!

Our second experience was with many, many other boats and tons of stingrays...also many screaming tourist! The water was more shallow and the reef further away. Although we had a good time, we honestly enjoyed being the only boat/group with our first trip.

The ocean is a huge area and "Stingray City" sand bar stretches a long way and varies in depth, so it is really inaccurate to say that you were not in Stingray City.

I spoke with RCCL Customer Support this morning regarding the Rays & Reef Combo shore excursion I booked through them for my 3 July cruise aboard the Mariner. The customer service rep. basically told me the same thing (i.e., It depends on conditions). Think about it. It's a sandbar. Those of you that have been to any beach know that sandbars come and go with the tides. Admittedly, I have never been to String Ray City, but it does seem logical that conditions change with the tides, weather, and time of the year. The cust. service. rep. suggested I speak with someone at the excursion desk when I get onboard my cruise to ask what people have experienced in the most recent past cruise(s). She reminded me that I can always cancel or change reservations prior to 24hrs in advance of the scheduled excursion. Sounds like good advice.

Now I'm really confused!! We are booked on the "Rays & Reef" for our 7/17 Mariner cruise. We assumed we would be at the sandbar. (didn't realize there was a difference) Has anyone taken the Stingray City Swim & Snorkel? If so, did you go to another area after the sandbar to snorkel. It says you will spend approx. 45 mins. snorkeling, but doesn't say where. Also, has anyone had any experience with trying to change once you are onboard. I'm thinking it may be booked up by then. Thanks for any feedback.

Now I'm really confused!! We are booked on the "Rays & Reef" for our 7/17 Mariner cruise. We assumed we would be at the sandbar. (didn't realize there was a difference) Has anyone taken the Stingray City Swim & Snorkel? If so, did you go to another area after the sandbar to snorkel. It says you will spend approx. 45 mins. snorkeling, but doesn't say where. Also, has anyone had any experience with trying to change once you are onboard. I'm thinking it may be booked up by then. Thanks for any feedback.
I received a reply to my email from RCCL regarding the various Stingray City excursions. Here's what they said:

GCO2 Rays and Reef Combo, George Town, Grand Cayman is operated from Stingray City. Stingray City is in 8 to 12 feet deep water whereas Stingray City Sandbar is in shallow water 4 to 6 feet deep water. Both have stingrays at location.

Stingray City Sandbar is in shallow water 4 to 6 feet deep water - The following 3 options are available on line:

1. GCD:Stingray City Swim Duration: 3:00 (hrs:mins) Starts At 9:00 AM Available 45.00/45.00 - Stingray Sandbar, Mask, Snorkel & Safety Vest provided.

2. GCR:Stingray City Snorkeling Duration: 2:30 (hrs:mins) Starts At 7:45 AM & 10:00 AM Available 45.00/45.00 - Stingray City Sandbar. Mask, Snorkel & Safety Vest provided.

Above both tours offer same level of service and product content on above tours. However, the only difference is in the tour operator operating the tour.

3. GCV:Stingray City Adventure Duration: 2:30 (hrs:mins) Starts At 9:00 AM & 12:00 PM Available 48.00/48.00 - Stingray City Sandbar. Provided: safety vests, snorkeling equipment.

Stingray City is in 8 to 12 feet deep water - the following 2 options available on line.

1. GCO:Rays and Reef Combo Duration: 3:15 (hrs:mins) Starts At 7:30 AM & 10:30 AM Available 64.00/48.00

2. GCW:Rays and Reef Combo with Lunch Duration: 6:00 (hrs:mins) Starts At 7:30 AM Available 94.00/94.00 Enjoy your cruise and tours!

Hope this helps anyone interested in a RCCL sponsored Stringray excursion

I received a reply to my email from RCCL regarding the various Stingray City excursions. Here's what they said:

GCO2 Rays and Reef Combo, George Town, Grand Cayman is operated from Stingray City. Stingray City is in 8 to 12 feet deep water whereas Stingray City Sandbar is in shallow water 4 to 6 feet deep water. Both have stingrays at location.

Stingray City Sandbar is in shallow water 4 to 6 feet deep water - The following 3 options are available on line:

1. GCD:Stingray City Swim Duration: 3:00 (hrs:mins) Starts At 9:00 AM Available 45.00/45.00 - Stingray Sandbar, Mask, Snorkel & Safety Vest provided.

2. GCR:Stingray City Snorkeling Duration: 2:30 (hrs:mins) Starts At 7:45 AM & 10:00 AM Available 45.00/45.00 - Stingray City Sandbar. Mask, Snorkel & Safety Vest provided.

Above both tours offer same level of service and product content on above tours. However, the only difference is in the tour operator operating the tour.

3. GCV:Stingray City Adventure Duration: 2:30 (hrs:mins) Starts At 9:00 AM & 12:00 PM Available 48.00/48.00 - Stingray City Sandbar. Provided: safety vests, snorkeling equipment.

Stingray City is in 8 to 12 feet deep water - the following 2 options available on line.

1. GCO:Rays and Reef Combo Duration: 3:15 (hrs:mins) Starts At 7:30 AM & 10:30 AM Available 64.00/48.00

2. GCW:Rays and Reef Combo with Lunch Duration: 6:00 (hrs:mins) Starts At 7:30 AM Available 94.00/94.00 Enjoy your cruise and tours!

Hope this helps anyone interested in a RCCL sponsored Stringray excursion

One more thought:

Though the GCD and GCR tours are described by RCCL to be the same (and the same price), just different tour operators and different durations, it doesn't explain the difference between those 2 and the GCV tour which is a the shorter of the 2 duration2, but $3.00pp more. Now the differences among the tours is clear as mud!!!!

BarryF, Thanks so much for the info. We have switched to the Swim & Snorkel. Had you not brought this to our attention, we would have thought we were going to the sandbar. We are going to have a 7 year old along, so the Ray and Reef would not have been good for him at all. Thanks again.

BarryF, Thanks so much for the info. We have switched to the Swim & Snorkel. Had you not brought this to our attention, we would have thought we were going to the sandbar. We are going to have a 7 year old along, so the Ray and Reef would not have been good for him at all. Thanks again.
I'm glad I was able to help someone with this information. RCCL should have been clearer in there explanation in the first place. I too am now changing my excursion to one of the 3 that actually go to the sandbar.

Barry

GHoterman2 thanks for binging this too our attention. Sorry your experience did not live up to what you thought you were getting. And thanks BarryF for tracking down the differneces between all the same sounding excusions.

Ghoterman, thanks for your posting. We were on the Mariner in March, and had the same issues (and more) with the Rays and Reef Combo Tour. I posted my thoughts at the time, and no one else seemed to agree.

Not only is there some discrepancy with where the tour goes, the size of the tour makes it almost unbearable. Yes, as another poster said, we were the only boat at "Stingray City" when we were there, but the boat was huge and there were probably 150 to 200 people on board. There were 3 school busses plus some smaller vans to transport all the people on the excursion. Because of the size of the crowd, getting in and out of the water took forever, and once you were in the water, it was a mob scene. All to see 4 or 5 stingrays. They then moved us to the "reef" (which was only 400 yards away), and we saw maybe 2 or 3 fish when we got there. As soon as everyone got into the water, the called for us to get out as it was time to leave.

Also, as OP stated, the water is deeper than you would expect at SC sandbar, and the RCI shore excursion desk staff aren't really straight about the differences in the trip. We had a child who doesn't swim much with us, and the desk staff told us that the water at SC would be knee to thigh deep. Well, it was over our heads the entire time.

IMHO, If you're going to Grand Cayman on RCI, I recommend:

1) If you just want to enjoy snorkeling, I have heard that the morning

"Grand Cayman Snorkeling" excursion is very pleasant.

2) To go to Stingray City, use an independent tour operator such as Nativeways, etc., and DO NOT plan to board your transportation right at the cruiseship dock. It is a mob scene when the ship's excursions are waiting to leave.

3) If, despite these warnings, you choose the NCI Rays and Reef Combo, take the early tour. If you take the later time, it will take up your entire day in GC. Due to the high passenger volume in GC when the Mariner is in port, traffic is a disaster. The later trip often gets postponed due to traffic snarls, and the tour operator then cut back on the time spent at the reef. We spent 90 minutes waiting at the dock for the 10:30 tour with no food and drinks. The tour ended up going at about 12:00. The only thing available on the boat were soda and chips. They had to hold the Mariner's departure for our tour, and we returned starving, having seen minimal rays and marine life. A wasted day in the port we were most looking forward to.

After we returned, the RCI staff was not helpful and would not refund any of our excursion fare, despite the fact that our tour was half as long as it was supposed to be.

I will never book an RCI excursion again unless it is the only viable option. the Rays and Reef Combo was the only one we did through NCL. Our other indepemdent tours went off without a hitch and we paid much less for them.

We were the only boat there.You could not see another boat anywhere (I mean all the way to the horizon). Other people onboard Mariner who went on other Stingray City Excursions saw hundred of rays ( so much for the "hurricane myth" )

I was told by our boat captain that they lost about 40% of their rays during the hurricaine. I saw a huge difference between the number of rays when I was there two years ago and when I was there this March. Previously, you couldn't get away from the rays. It was hard to avoid them rubbing up against you and people were screaming and giggling everywhere. This time if you were afraid to go too close, it was not an issue, it was easy to keep your distance. Maybe it was just the wrong day to be there, I don't know In any event, I know what I saw, so please don't say I am making things up and creating a "hurricane myth". I was told this by someone who lives in Cayman and regularly takes tours to the sandbar.

I was told by our boat captain that they lost about 40% of their rays during the hurricaine. I saw a huge difference between the number of rays when I was there two years ago and when I was there this March. Previously, you couldn't get away from the rays. It was hard to avoid them rubbing up against you and people were screaming and giggling everywhere. This time if you were afraid to go too close, it was not an issue, it was easy to keep your distance. Maybe it was just the wrong day to be there, I don't know In any event, I know what I saw, so please don't say I am making things up and creating a "hurricane myth". I was told this by someone who lives in Cayman and regularly takes tours to the sandbar.

We went in March as well. Passengers who took the Stingray City "sandbar" trip saw reported seeing multitudes of rays while standing in knee deep water. Those of us who chose the Rays and Reef trip on the same day only saw less than 10 rays in water over our heads. The hurrican may have killed some of the rays (it actually cleaned up the reefs, according to one captain we spoke to), but it seems to me that the lack of rays on the tour is because the Rays and Reefs combo tour doesn't go to the actual GC sandbar

We went in March as well. Passengers who took the Stingray City "sandbar" trip saw reported seeing multitudes of rays while standing in knee deep water. Those of us who chose the Rays and Reef trip on the same day only saw less than 10 rays in water over our heads. The hurrican may have killed some of the rays (it actually cleaned up the reefs, according to one captain we spoke to), but it seems to me that the lack of rays on the tour is because the Rays and Reefs combo tour doesn't go to the actual GC sandbar

No, we have been there before and were definitely at the sandbar. Water was only about waist deep. Like I said, maybe it was just a bad day or something? There were still a good number of rays but not like I had seen previously.

I think we were on the SC swim tour but can't remember for sure. There was no snorkeling involved except what they gave you at Stingray City. The trip we were supposed to take was canceled that day and it was a backup trip, not our first choice.

No, we have been there before and were definitely at the sandbar. Water was only about waist deep. Like I said, maybe it was just a bad day or something? There were still a good number of rays but not like I had seen previously.

I think we were on the SC swim tour but can't remember for sure. There was no snorkeling involved except what they gave you at Stingray City. The trip we were supposed to take was canceled that day and it was a backup trip, not our first choice.

KJ - please see earlier posts. The issue is that the Rays and reffs Combo trip does not take you to the Stingray City sandbar, but put to open water that is still in the proximity of Stingray City. If you don't go to the actual sandbar, you waon;t see the number of rays.

The point is that you have to be careful in choosing an excursion. RCI isn't very forthcoming in informing passengers on the Rays and Reefs trip that they are not going to the SC sandbar.

Archived