Mariner Reef & Rays exc. "Royal" Rip-Off

OP mom, I am sure what you are saying about Rays and Reefs is correct.

All I am saying is that I was at the sandbar in March. I have been there twice previously and saw less rays this past time than in the past. That is my observation. P

Actually, we were in the deeper part (not the sandbar) in February and saw a lot of rays (we were snorkeling in ~15 ft. deep water). Too bad there were so many other people kicking and bumping us, though.

We went to Stingray City in February. The water was about waist deep but choppy at that time. Probably thirty or forty stingrays.

We didn't book with the ship...we found a company close to the dock that we took a chance with. I believe it was called Carson's. Turned out they were awesome. The two guys operating our boat were really into it and were just excited to get out there with the rays as we were!! It was a small boat, maybe 20 or so people...awesome awesome time!!

We were on I believe the Voyager the first time she added Grand Cayman to her itinerary (2001). The ship shorex to Sting Ray City was booked up so we found a local - don't remember the name of the guy - probably a total independent.

Took us to 7 mile beach for an hour dropped us off - then picked us up and took us to some guy's Cabin Cruiser. Had to wait for the Captain which really made us nervous about the whole deal. Guy shows up and takes us ( and about 15 others) out to the sand bar - waste high water - tons of rays - we are there about 45 min. then he takes us to another snorkle spot for another 45 min. Finally back to town - Only problem was that at that time we left port at 3pm so we did not have much time to shop. Had he been any later we might had had to swim to the next port. It was well worth what we paid - but having said that - it was buyer beware. Ships leave later now so it probably is much less rushed.

Still one of my favorite ships - we have done AOS twice as well - one of these days we have to to Mariner and or Navigator. But me thinks Freedom is going to be on the agenda for 2006 - probably late summer or fall. I'd love to do a cruise in March time frame - maybe Mariner or Navigator or Maybe Serenade Southern - havent done that route in a while

Archived