Why We Chose Mariner-An Objective Walk Through The Purchasing Decision

tbennett

Hi. As some of you may remember we were trying to decide between Mariner and Magic out of Galveston for January. We went with Mariner for several reasons. Video was helpful. We examined video walk-throughs of the Magic and it appeared cramped, and in places, DMV like. We watched similar videos of the Mariner and it appeared more open and spacious. Some quick calculations reveal that while about 6 percent larger than the Magic, the Mariner also had 500 or so less passenger capacity, another consideration. The things that kept coming up was the lack of available seating for shows on the Magic, and the lines. As we live in Irving, TX, and it is an awesome thing usually to be able to not have to fly to a cruise, Florida was not really a consideration. Although if this ship is a big hit, we may have to break that rule for Oasis or possibly Allure.

We did not want to have to stand to be entertained. We also do not want to have to plan on as much as an hour in line to watch an hour so. These were frequent concerns. A closer exam of the MDR menus revealed significant differences in choice and taste. While we appreciate a comfort food option and begrudge no one their choices with regard to their hard earned vacation, we felt that the Mariner offered more out of the ordinary cuisine. Vidalia onion tarts vs. eggrolls, sea bass vs. tilapia, etc. Also, we have recently been made aware of a perhaps burgeoning health issue of grave concern regarding my Father in law. This reverted back to the size and space considerations in terms of comfort and lowering stress, as he is a senior. Now let me be clear, if you happen to be reading this and booked for the Magic, on the whole, I have little doubt that you will enjoy yourself. I do not want to denigrate Carnival in this space. Millions of satisfied cruisers enjoy their product and need not feel dissuaded from doing so.

For me, this was a cross generational decision too. As my Wife and I are 36, and my in laws are seniors, we wanted something that we felt would bridge a gap in terms taste and preference. After thorough research Royal seemed to hit closer to the mark. I will say I am quite intrigued with the notion of a seaside theater and had Mariner not upgraded, we may have gone with the Magic. Much to Royal's credit however, they smartly accepted the amenities challenge and spent the money to go head to head with their competition. This was also seen in the in room television upgrades as well. This is appreciated. Additionally, the customer service experience was much more professional on Royal's part in the email and phone communication. There was more sir and ma'am and service oriented phraseology. Carnival was too casual, and recent reviews from respected members here left little doubt as to the preferred boat.

Again, this was a decision made with a multitude of factors to evaluate. Most of these were unique to us, but not all, and these comments are intended to be placed in a proper context. Our first experience cruising was the Elation in 2006, when we were 29 years old. It is stunning the differences in taste and energy one undergoes from 29 to 36. Perhaps a different decision is made at 29 than 36, but for us we felt Royal was most likely to hit our comfort zone. Does this mean we a guaranteed a perfect time? No, but my view of cruising is to relax, and enjoy the service and the food and the entertainment, and remain cognizant of the overall value. Is any one meal going to be 3 star Michelin? Doubtful. Is any one show going to rival Cats on Broadway? Probably not. But taken on the whole, if a safe, professional, courteous experience can be provided for our $$$$ with tasty interesting food, dedicated entertainment, and stunning views, value will likely be there. We also booked this cruise for over $300 less per couple than the Magic would have been. It stunned us too, I know.

Another thing, not to be overlooked, sometimes reviews can be honestly deserved. Sometimes an experience can be so bad that over the top phrasing is warranted. However as with many things online, the attention seeking is getting out of hand. Melodrama does not really help anyone, and I would encourage patience when on a ship. Remember, relax and try to appreciate the level of commitment required of these crew members on a daily basis. The world revolves around no human, and we all must practice humility and respect. I have had crew members treat me abhorrently and have called them out, but sometimes I will read about a smirk or a sneer, and I think, after all of that, how self involved do you have to be to remember a smirk, or an eye roll that you would mention it? If you give a ship 2 or 3 out of 5 and this is the primary concern you post, I have to conclude the problem might lie with you, not the ship. Anyways, as the twitterkinds say IJS.

A special shoutout too to the Snoozeman for his excellent work and reviews that helped us out in this process. Well thank you all for reading this, and Happy Cruising! God Bless All No Exceptions.

being methodical in purchasing decisions. Truth is I had Magic in mind until I actually saw the videos of the ships. Carnival Magic had people bumping into one another and a generally cramped look about it. That said, I can see where there is good fun to have on the boat. I love karaoke and there is a lot of that on the ship, but again, read that there was rarely a much chance to sit, much less sing at any point. I don't want to plan my evening on a ship around karaoke. To me, that is a walk in and hang out thing, and if it is that crowded, chances are the ship is about 500 or more people too booked.

I have cruised recently on both the Magic and the Mariner. Either one is a good choice. I enjoyed them both. Carnival and RCCL are more similar than different, but I don't think either one is better than the other. The differences are little things and in the end did not affect my enjoyment of either cruise. Maybe one day you will cruise on the Magic and can make your own comparison.

Have been on the Magic and the Mariner and both are great ships. Hope you didn't spend too many hours in your investigation because both ships and the experience on both are very similar. Food is slightly better, in my opinion, on the Magic. The seating issue at shows can be overcome by arriving 10 minutes early, which is always a good idea. Both ships seem crowded at peak vacation times(with children), not a big issue in January.

Have a great cruise

Good choice. We sailed the Magic twice in 2012 (January and August). Both times we found it very crowded. Couldn't get a slot machine after dinner, seating choices were very limited in the showroom on the main floor unless you got there very early. The food was better in January before the menu change. Mac n Cheese is not my idea of dining room fare. More nursery like choices. We had spa balcony cabins both times and the thermal suite access proved to be a joke- always crowded because they sell so many passes. We're back to the Mariner in Jan 13 where at least if you have a full suite you do get some really nice perks.

I really love this class of ship, and I don't think you will be disappointed! Bottom line is this class is # 3 on the "hit parade" after Freedom and Oasis, but all these ships are relatively new, in great condition and have spectacular amenities- so you benefit in terms of pricing because there are "newer kids in the block", But your experience wont suffer at all!

Mariner will not disappoint, and most important is your attitude. If one walks around with a white glove looking for things to go wrong, they will have a very different experience from one who boards hoping to have a good experience and lets the petty annoyances of travel go!:D Enjoy your cruise and your time with family!

FOOD! Royal Caribbean International vs. Carnival. Oh we rode the Freedom in 2007, Wife got bad hurt in Ocho Rios, but loved the main dining room. Buffet was so so, but spontaneous offerings were good. We have been on Elation and Legend with Carnival, both times food tasty but more and more average in selection.

With thanks to Clamett here is a look at a recent RCI dining room menu.

Shaved Cantaloupe and Honeydew melon

Bay Scallop Gratin

Oakwood Smoked Chicken Breast

Lobster Bisque

Chicken Consomme

Chilled Banana and Rum Soup

Roman Vignole Salad

Main Courses

Grilled Salmon Vignole Salad

Shrimp Raviole

Pan Fried Fillet of Barramundi

Roasted Duck

Filet of Beef Tenderloin

Artichoke Filled Crepes au Gratin

Yes I can dig that and why not? Now you look at Carnival Conquest, and you have this, guacamole, hearts of palm, fried chicken tenders (As an appetizer? Makes very little sense.) tilapia, linguine, chicken a la greque, and so forth. So if preparation is there, the ingredients themselves should be more tasty. Now I don't expect either line would be as rancid as the NCL Spirit, worst food consistently on any cruise, but as someone that wants to engage in some modicum of culinary adventure, had to choose Royal. I love food so does my Wife, but we are not foodies in the snob sense. We love great Pho, or Tikka Masala, not anything too unusual or hard to find. Just different taste is all. Now it takes all kinds and some people prefer more comforting fare. I can understand that.

As far as being Wal Mart of the seas I would not go that far. The Legend had a completely different clientele than did the Elation, more middle aged and upscale, and the activities reflected that. I would caution against making sweeping generalizations based on one experience. We may eventually try the Magic for the Bahamas on our own, but my Father in law did not figure to fare well with more standing required and the cramped space. I am not trying to be rude and it is not a factor in this thread but people who label are a pet peeve of mine. Calling Carnival any number of disparaging terms with a subtle nod towards demographics is not helpful. If we are truly as smart as we think we are, our ears are open to the possibility than anyone, no matter how modest or seemingly simple, can teach us great lessons. Thanks.

I just got off the Mariner of the Seas this past Sunday. One thing RCI has over Carnival is much more and better live music. The classic strings (piano and 2 violins) are very good. Phil Anderson in the Schooner Bar is fun. The big-band ship's orchestra is always great. And there is a salsa band and a Caribbean pool band. And a solo pianist. And entertainer in the English pub on deck 5. And the another band (we had Mickey Utley with emphasis on country music). Carnival has cut way on live music IMO. Also the Mariner has a much more elegant feel, I think. I have not been on the Magic, but I have been on the Conquest twice as well as other smaller Carnival ships (like the Ecstasy). Dining room on Carnival on those ships has much lower ceilings than the Mariner and is not nearly as elegant and special.

When are you sailing? The Mariner gets the new menu sometime in February, and the onion tart is not on the new menu, but you can have shrimp cocktail and escargot every night. I hope before long RCI puts the onion tart back on the new menu -- if enough of us ask. Here's the current (old) menu for each night. It is not mine and is from the Freedom of the Seas, but our menu was the same except nights 5 & 7 were switched.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=32880882&postcount=4

Thanks for the info. I thought I might add that we chose RCL due to them having the option to look at which handicap accessable rooms were available online. The only way you can tell what HC rooms are available with Carnival is to call them and get the hard sell.

I just got off the Mariner of the Seas this past Sunday. One thing RCI has over Carnival is much more and better live music. The classic strings (piano and 2 violins) are very good. Phil Anderson in the Schooner Bar is fun. The big-band ship's orchestra is always great. And there is a salsa band and a Caribbean pool band. And a solo pianist. And entertainer in the English pub on deck 5. And the another band (we had Mickey Utley with emphasis on country music). Carnival has cut way on live music IMO. Also the Mariner has a much more elegant feel, I think. I have not been on the Magic, but I have been on the Conquest twice as well as other smaller Carnival ships (like the Ecstasy). Dining room on Carnival on those ships has much lower ceilings than the Mariner and is not nearly as elegant and special.

When are you sailing? The Mariner gets the new menu sometime in February, and the onion tart is not on the new menu, but you can have shrimp cocktail and escargot every night. I hope before long RCI puts the onion tart back on the new menu -- if enough of us ask. Here's the current (old) menu for each night. It is not mine and is from the Freedom of the Seas, but our menu was the same except nights 5 & 7 were switched.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=32880882&postcount=4

I looked at the menus posted, and did not see a spa vitality choice any nights. I thought those were available every night. I can find something to eat on most of these menus, but a couple had more fried food and/or red meat, which I don't eat.

Archived