Royal announces alcohol packages

We have joining cabins..one adult and one child her stateroom..just changed to that so we could bring 4 bottles of wine on board..wonder if they will make both adults purchase. My husband would get moneys worth not me for sure!! I know you dont get the cup, but not buying a soda package for him..all you can drink is $47.50 per day..

Does the package work at Labadee?

This is awesome news. On my last 7 night cruise I spent over $800. This will cut it in half!!!

WOW. Just for my own curiosity...What is the breakdown of this? All beer? all wine? all cocktails? a mix of all the above?

We have joining cabins..one adult and one child her stateroom..just changed to that so we could bring 4 bottles of wine on board..wonder if they will make both adults purchase. My husband would get moneys worth not me for sure!! I know you dont get the cup, but not buying a soda package for him..all you can drink is $47.50 per day..

We are in the same boat! Both will not have to purchase since thee is only 1 adult per cabin.

Based on the previous poster's mentioning of "private destinations" it should be valid on Labadee. The bars there work like the bars on the ship so there should not be an issue.

Directly from the flyer & FAQ sent to my TA

i can't seem to attach file so will simply spell it out

Portions of the FAQ

* Everyone in cabin age 21+ MUST purchase package

* Must purchase package for entire length of cruise

* 15% gratuity has already been INCLUDED

* Available for 7+ night cruises on ALL ships on ALL sailings

* Honored at all bars & lounges, windjammer, MDR, private destinations during normal biz hours...room Service and minibar NOT included

* Souvenir cup is NOT included

* Freestyle soda machines NOT included

* only one beverage can be purchased at a time...no sharing

Just doing the math . .. . at $55 per person per day . .. . $385 each for 7 days .. plus 15% service charge? (or is that included?) That is $760 for two. That is a lot of drinks.

That would have to be at least 6 frozen drinks a day, or 9 beers per day, or 5 $11 glasses of wine (the good stuff)

Hmm. Not sure I can drink that much and stay standing up!

I'll really have to think about that .... . :confused:

Remember the package is only “house” wine. $7-8 per glass. You would need to drink 7 glasses to break even.

Has anyone actually been able to find the info on Royal's website? I'm looking but not seeing anything? This may be an option for our Enchantment cruise in February.

Jason

It's on the "Adam's Blog" page. See http://www.answeritroyally.com/blog/?p=5238: "Drink Packages are a popular request on both the blog and on our Facebook page. We recently announced that we are expanding our onboard beverage program to include two new beverage packages – Classic and Premium, which will allow our guests to pay one price at the beginning of their cruise vacation and enjoy a wide selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages at greater savings and convenience. Packages are currently available on 13 ships and will be available on the remaining ships with seven-night or longer itineraries by early 2013."

Yippee!

Its a Great idea but for people like my wife and I would never drink anymore then 2 drinks a day each, plus we get the soda package so we wouldnt really save any money on this deal. plus I am not a huge drinker i dont want to be three sheets to the wind my whole cruise I want to enjoy it with no hangovers :o

Deal is a "no-brainer" ....... YES, for us. :D

I wonder if one will still be able to order beer "by the bucket", that is more than one drink at a time. As silly as it may sound to some of you (especially those who don't understand why we are excited about this offer), the bucket is a very important part of our cruise. To keep poolside drinks cold, and READY ...... it's essential. But then after pool, we always take ours back to our cabin or to bingo, or inside to play cards somewhere.

In the same manner that folks lose their minds about "free" food, I'm afraid "free" (paid for) drinks will cause folks to be total idiots ....... like, perhaps taking two sips of a margarita and ordering more to avoid the melty portion. :)

Finally ....... the servers CAN'T be happy about this. If I'm a server, I'm focusing on someone without the package, where I get my 15%, instead of someone with it. Hopefully, a little $$$ (extra tip) will ensure their normal, great service.

We'll be on Freedom at the end of May. Since we're Diamond members and the ship has a Diamond Lounge I'm thinking that's already 3.5 hours a night of unlimited drinks. That plus the fact that we can each carry on 2 bottles (2 separate adjoining rooms) and the fact that we'll be with 2 of our kids - we definitely won't be participating in this package on our next cruise.

We're cruising with several friends, however, who are traveling childless and aren't Diamond yet. They're very much looking forward to buying this package!

Ah so bummed out this says only available on 7 nights or longer -

This is a shame for responsible drinkers on short cruises but I sort of like it as a corporate policy on new program. First time cruisers often start with short sailing and short cruises (3 & 4 nights) can become somewhat of a booze cruise anyway, with 20 somethings and spring breakers that don't really care about the ports partying it up. If some of that increased b/c of the program, it could put some newbies off from cruising. RCCL hopes a family of 4 that experiments with a 3 night cruise the first time; decides to sail the Freedom or Oasis class for 7 nights the next vacation.

Maybe if the program is a success they could expand it to 6 night cruises too. Some ships rotate 6 and 8 night sailings and it would seem easier to just offer it constantly.

Archived