Ripped Off

CruizenSuzen

I just returned from the Caymans on a cruise, and wanted to warn everyone not to shop at Big Black Dick's liquor. The store promised to ship liquor to the cruise ships as long as it was given at least an hour before the last tender went out. In fact, this was the only option given, you could not carry the rum out with you. As I'm sure you guessed, the rum never arrived. This happened to many of our fellow passengers. Since we paid in cash, it appears we have little recourse.

The store is in two locations just outside of the ship's tender docks. Beware! Don't give them your money. Shop at Tortuga for your rum. Didn't run into anyone that had a problem with their delivery system.

Sorry to hear that. I don't know if maybe the shopping guide on your ship could be of any assistance at this point (Tasha was our guide). We shopped at Tortuga's and like you said we had no problem. It was delivered to our room when promised. Sorry again, that's a bummer.

I just returned from the Caymans on a cruise, and wanted to warn everyone not to shop at Big Black Dick's liquor. The store promised to ship liquor to the cruise ships as long as it was given at least an hour before the last tender went out. In fact, this was the only option given, you could not carry the rum out with you. As I'm sure you guessed, the rum never arrived. This happened to many of our fellow passengers. Since we paid in cash, it appears we have little recourse.

The store is in two locations just outside of the ship's tender docks. Beware! Don't give them your money. Shop at Tortuga for your rum. Didn't run into anyone that had a problem with their delivery system.

We bought our rum there, three different cabins in our group and all got our rum. Paid by credit. I will say however, that the Big Black Dick rum is nasty tasting.. don't buy it to drink it. Its more of a novelty. I am enjoying my

Appleton rum though. I'm sorry they ripped you off. I'd find someone to complain to!!

We bought our rum there, three different cabins in our group and all got our rum. Paid by credit. I will say however, that the Big Black Dick rum is nasty tasting.. don't buy it to drink it. Its more of a novelty. I am enjoying my

Appleton rum though. I'm sorry they ripped you off. I'd find someone to complain to!!

Um... do NOT put B-B-D into the search engine... not a pretty site. Learn from my mistake, please :eek:

It might work, but why would you want to give your business to a place that rips people off? Maybe I'm just bitter because they stole my money, but I think you would be better suited shopping at a place that conducts its business in an ethical manner.

I contacted them again today. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the rum. It seems highly unlikely that this was a deliberate act of dishonesty, as word would soon get around the internet, and this is a well established company. Don't give up on having this put right.

Just for clarity, there is no way you could carry the liquor out of the store. The reason they are required to deliver it to the ship is due to customs procedures. The liquor that you pay for in those stores is delivered directly from bonded warehouses, without having to pay local excise tax, (which is why it is so cheap). A litre bottle of Appleton Rum that you might pay $6 for as a cruise visitor would cost almost $30 in a regular liquor store on the island. The high cost of liquor for local consumption is one of the factors making drinks in local bars and restaurants significantly higher than many Caribbean locations.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW sorry to hear what happened to you and its great you got your money back. That is why I pay by credit card for everything! Its my saftey receipt. It does pay to be persistant and am glad you finally got your money back. Lets hope its not a bad check;)

• 2 months later...

I had no problems. I only bought 1 bottle of Big Black Dick Dark rum and it arrived along with everything else. I bought the 6 package of Tortuga rum cakes that came with a small bottle of liquor with each and the 5 assorted pack of liquor. I was a little skeptical at first, but got everything ordered.

I bought mine as a novelty as I don't drink. Also, bought some Appleton Estates rum (V/X, and Extra). I got them set up on the bar, so dunno if I'll ever drink them. Going on another cruise next year.

Archived