Junkanoo Beach-Nassau??

goober9

We were just there last Friday! :) It is a quick walk to the right of the ship. Then make a left at Senor Frogs and follow the sidewalk to the beach.

It used to be quiet and not a lot of people. We usually go there when we dock at Nassau. This time we went and there were vendors and a bunch of people. But it was still nice. Not really large but great for the 'free' visit! Definitely check it out! (There's a bar there too now which looked fun!)

Has anyone been to Junkanoo Beach in Nassau, Bahamas? My husband and I are thinking about going there while in port. I read it is about a 10 minute walk from the pier.

Do go there, the beach is nice and the view is great. My favorite jerk chicken place is on the beach. Just look for the yellow shack with red urmbella in front. They have an old rusty BBQ outside. Two big guys both name Richard and they served the meanest jerk chicken for $6.

We had planned to hit the beach there on our trip but went back to the ship after eating at the fish fry. 15 minute walk from the fish fry to Junkanoo Beach and 20 minutes from the beach to the ship. However, the 20 minutes was slow because of the number of peeps on the sidewalk so we were travelling at the pace of a 70 year old or 7 year old. Took a while. Easy walk. they are still trying to clean up the place after Sandy. Had folks on the beach raking up stuff from the trees. The sand is nice. I would not hesitate to stop there.

My wife and I walked there from the ship and it was HORRIBLE. Broken glass all over the beach, shady characters lurking all around and the lady that walks the beach selling her wares is persitent to say the least.

Stay on the ship and swim in the pool, sleep, give yourself a labodomy, but do not go to that beach

I went in April .. my husband and daughter went on a morning excursion and I wandered around Nassau alone. Ended up at Junkanoo Beach around 1030am and had the BEST conch fritters ever ... in that last photo posted, look from that first cement pier to the left ... that little hut with the green tube hanging on it was where I got them. She's not too sociable, but the woman can make fritters!

I didn't swim (I wasn't prepared to WANT to swim and was running too close to the time where I had to meet up with the hubby) but there were chairs and umbrellas for rent. I just sat at the tables while waiting for my snack. The guy setting up and cleaning the tables chatted with me for a bit, he was friendly ... I did see a mentally-questionable homeless-looking man at the beginning of the beach (police were talking to him, he was wandering around) which kind of made me a bit nervous, but didn't prevent me from going.

We're docking again this coming April for a few hours in Nassau and we're going back to swim and have some drinks. I didn't see anything wrong with the beach itself.

Archived