Actual procedure for Internet using laptop

avalon007

Hi,

We want to use our laptop to download emails on Voyager of the Seas.

The laptop is new, so I'm assuming it will search for and find the ships available connection?

Do you use wi-fi or is it better to actually plug in somewhere?

Is there a connection available in the cabin?

Are there any connections on the ship faster than others?

Do you have to log in to a certain Royal site & put in a password to buy internet time etc, can you do this by the minute or do you need to buy a internet package prior if using your own computer?

I'm aware of the prices, just need the technical how to's.:)

I'm looking for a step by step procedure if anyone can provide details.

Thanks.

You will first go to the internet cafe onboard and use their computer to sign up, choose a password, and choose a plan. From there, you can take your computer to any of the wi-fi hotspots on the ship.. Login....and that's all there is to it. Be sure to bookmark the logoff page so you can get to it easily to logoff so those minutes don't get eaten up.

Depending on the ship, some wi-fi areas are better than others. The best people to ask about this are the bartenders, no kidding. Generally, I have faster speeds when I go to the top of the ship instead of being lower.

Hi,

The laptop is new, so I'm assuming it will search for and find the ships available connection?

Do you have to log in to a certain Royal site & put in a password to buy internet time etc, can you do this by the minute or do you need to buy a internet package prior if using your own computer?

Thanks.

There is no place to plug in, your only option is WiFi.

You can use the internet by the minute or by purchasing a package, your choice. You do not have to purchase a package before you use the laptop, however as mentioned above, you must create a wireless account using one of the ship's guest computers before you can use the WiFi. The reason is that the ship's guest computers have a SeaPass card swiper which must be used to validate and associate your on board account with whatever username/password you choose for your wireless access.

If you have probs logging off go to Guest Services and they will assist. I have had time credited back in the past. GS will have a list of the hotspots. Watch your time carefully, you will not be warned if the plan runs out and you will automatically be charged the full rate at that time for the following minutes used.

There is no place to plug in, your only option is WiFi.

Not necessary true. Last summer on the Allure there was a general problem for MacBook Pro users to connect to the ships WiFi. We were told to unplug the Ethernet cable from the stateroom phone and connect it to our computer.

Worked like a charm!

Of course I can't tell if it will work on the Voyager. But as long as the phones are IP based and has an Ethernet cable there's a good chance it may work.

Hi,

Thanks.

The only option is wifi. My laptop picked up on the internet connection in my cabin right away and I opened IE (or any browser you use) which displayed the RCI page. All the packages are listed and you choose one of the packages and then create a user name. You will have to also type your folio number which is on your seapass card. Your sea pass account is automatically charged. If you have any C&A coupons, you will have to take them to guest services so that the discounts are applied to the account.

I was on the Allure last May and last week and this is what I did both times. I didn't connect from other RCI ships. I am not sure if it works differently on older ships. On the Allure you can make the initial connection from your cabin. The connection was not too bad depending on when I connected.

Archived