Summer TA - a few questions

picklejama

We're signed up for our first TA crossing (June 24 westbound) on the QM2 and are very excited, but do have a few newbie type questions.

1. We have the glass balcony but have heard it will be too windy to be useful. (We're on the south-facing side.) Since we will be westbound some suggest the speed of the boat and the prevailing winds make it almost impossible to be outside. Is this true even in summer?

2. We will be coming from London on the day of embarkation. How early should we set off -- we're hiring a car service.

3. What percentage of men will be in tuxes vs. dark suits?

4. Are spa services for things like pedicures and facials very good?

5. How good is communication with Cunard? I feel their website provides very little useful information, but am hoping they will send me some literature about the voyage. Is there some trick I am missing to get more info?

6. We (party of 2) are in the Britannia restaurant and have asked for a table for 6, but really would like it to be a round table as I have trouble turning my neck fully to talk to someone seated directly next to me. How do I request a round table?

Thanks for any insights you can offer. We're so looking forward to this voyage!

We're signed up for our first TA crossing (June 24 westbound) on the QM2 and are very excited, but do have a few newbie type questions.

1. We have the glass balcony but have heard it will be too windy to be useful. (We're on the south-facing side.) Since we will be westbound some suggest the speed of the boat and the prevailing winds make it almost impossible to be outside. Is this true even in summer?

2. We will be coming from London on the day of embarkation. How early should we set off -- we're hiring a car service.

3. What percentage of men will be in tuxes vs. dark suits?

4. Are spa services for things like pedicures and facials very good?

5. How good is communication with Cunard? I feel their website provides very little useful information, but am hoping they will send me some literature about the voyage. Is there some trick I am missing to get more info?

6. We (party of 2) are in the Britannia restaurant and have asked for a table for 6, but really would like it to be a round table as I have trouble turning my neck fully to talk to someone seated directly next to me. How do I request a round table?

Thanks for any insights you can offer. We're so looking forward to this voyage!

1. You will be OK, it might be a little windy but wrap up well. Seriously I wouldn't be too concerned.

2. Probably around noon

3. 95% will be in tuxedos.

4. They are OK but expensive.

5.Their communication is ok in spite of their appalling website. Any questions are better answered here though.

6. Most tables for 6 are oval/rectangular, you might want to either arrive early so you can sit on the end or opt for a larger table. Once you board you can see your table and if it doesn't suit you then discuss the matter with the Maitre d' who will be there from about 1pm on boarding day.

There are many people who won't venture outside unless it's 30 degrees or more, but most people who take Atlantic crossings are more hardy. I have had four crossings on QM2 in a stateroom with a balcony - always in May - and only once can I say the balcony didn't get too much use due to rain and wind. Even if the weather is inclement, there are two other advantages to having a balcony: fresh air and lots of light. Over the decades I've had enough of inside cabins or outside ones with port-holes or tiny windows. I doubt I would take a voyage without a balcony.

As a QM2 lover, here are my answers to your questions:

1. Crossings used to take 6 days and now take 7. The ship, going more slowly, creates less of a wind-effect than it did before this change. We read warnings about "too windy" seven years ago, before our first (a 6-day) crossing and felt the warnings were accurate. Two years ago in early autumn, on another crossing, the weather was warm, sea calm and we were very comfortable outdoors--hardly any breeze, at all, most days. This was a 7 day crossing. Weather is, of course, the most important variable. Impossible to predict exactly what your experience will be. Please post on cruise critic and let us know!

2. Both times we traveled west, we arrived in Southampton about 12:30 or 1:00. From the time we entered the cruise terminal until we boarded the ship, there was an hour to an hour and a half wait. Plenty of seats while waiting and well-organized boarding, but it took a while.

3. My husband (a tux wearer) said he thought about 80% in tuxedos in the Britannia.

4. Never used spa on Cunard because spa on Princess line was such a disappointment (both for nails and for massage) and both lines are owned by Carnival.

5. Cunard communication? They used to have an email click-on, which we used 7 years ago with a question... Still waiting for their reply :mad:

Our impression is very poor communication. On the other hand, they both emailed and called our mobile on sailing day, two years ago, when the QM2 was going to be late arriving in NYC, telling us to expect a two-hour delay in boarding for our departure.

6. Instead of waiting until you board, I suggest you call Cunard (with your booking number in hand) and request a table for either 8 or 10, which will be a round table. You could do this in person after you board, but it is easier on the telephone and would save you standing in the queue for requesting dining changes. When dining with 8, or 10, we have typically rotated, changing proximity to different tablemates each night--although it's amazing how well those numbers of people can be inclusive and have entertaining-- everyone involved-- conversations. On our first cruise, at a table for 6, two of the diners never showed up--for the entire crossing-- leaving us with just one other couple (thankfully very lovely people).

Immediately after you board, there will be plenty of other things for you to do: have a snack or your lunch (deck 7 for the self-serve buffets); check-out a library book (deck 8); look around the ship; watch for your luggage to arrive (unpack and position empty suitcases under the bed)...

You will probably love the QM2 :) Most of us do!

Archived