Book now or wait for check in? Advice please.

MrsBB

I know there has been a million posts about the flight seat booker and cruise personaliser so I won't rehash the topic again. To cut a long story short, I am getting married on board and wanted to sit with my fiancé on a seat of two. The flight seat booker was down and P&O advised they would email me the minute it went live, they didn't.

I was checking sporadically anyway and when I discovered it was live all seats of two were taken apart from 3 or so sets which state they are blocked.

I have been advised that they are blocked so that people at check in can be seated.

My question is, based on your own check in experiences, is it likely if we arrive at check in early we will be allocated seats we want or would booking be better? If book now we can ensure we're at least seated together, albeit with a stranger on a row of three. Is there a chance P&O wouldn't seat a couple together who are traveling to their wedding and honeymoon cruise?

I suspect the airline would consider that sitting side by side does constitute sitting together, even if there is someone else alongside. They would probably reckon that if you plan to do anything that can't be done with a third party present, then they'd rather you didn't! ;)

we had the same problem last year but got to the airport quite early and managed to get two seats together with no problems, hope that helps:)

It does indeed coxy, it would be nice to sat on our own so here's hoping!

I suspect the airline would consider that sitting side by side does constitute sitting together, even if there is someone else alongside. They would probably reckon that if you plan to do anything that can't be done with a third party present, then they'd rather you didn't! ;)

Lol! A seat of two isn't required for that purpose but rather as we just like our own company, I think the most we'd be doing is holding hands :-p

We payed for premium seats on our last trip with p an o, we did get premium but I had to sit behind my husband , I did try to get the seats changed but no luck.

I thought you pre booked your seats when paying for premium? How shocking!

I was checking sporadically anyway and when I discovered it was live all seats of two were taken apart from 3 or so sets which state they are blocked.

I have been advised that they are blocked so that people at check in can be seated.

I think I may be one of the people for whom they have to keep some seats back. My mother's deaf, so either they have to let us sit together so I can tell her when the captain tells us to assume crash positions, or else they have to send a steward to explain each announcement in person.

I was advised by P&O that the seats blocked are for those who haven't reserved online and that preference would be given on a first come/first served basis so I guess I'll have to wait and see, louthebowler :)

Colin, I have no idea. Having never travelled with P&O previously, I can only go by what I am told by their customer services, which in fairness, isn't always correct :)

Edited to add: Apparently, Thompson allocate in advance, Thomas Cook at check in. We fly Thomas Cook so I guess we'll have to wait and see where we end up. I do wish P&O had actually advised when the flights were available like they said, would have been so much easier!

Archived