Best transportation from Southampton to Gatwick Airport

gracecarmo

I love this board! (and of course all the people that so kindly give info!)

We are sailing on the QM2 from NYC to Southampton in October.

Here's my question: what would be the best way to get from Southampton to Gatwick Airport? Train, Bus, or private car?

Does the train (Britrail) go from Southampton to Gatwick Airport direct, or do you have to change trains somewhere? Looking at the map, it looks like the train goes to Brighton, then on to Gatwick Airport.

I am planing on purchasing the 4 day London Plus Pass from Britrail and want to use it for all transportation and day trips. I have been to their web site, but can't find a schedule that tells times/routes of the trains. I saw the map, and it does look like the train goes to Gatwick.

I am also researching towns to visit from Southampton where we will be based, or should we base ourselves in another town? (not London)

Sorry to ask all these questions, but this is the BEST way for info.

Thanks....Grace

Hi Grace,

There's a site that you can check train schedules on particular days. It's http://www.nationalrail.co.uk. When you get to the site, click on the box that says "planning your journey." I did a quick check, and it looked like there was one non-stop train from Southampton to Gatwick. It took about 2 1/2 hours. But it was for today. You'll have to put in the date you'll be needing. The Britrail pass is a fantastic way to get around the country. I did it several years ago, and traveling by train was not only convenient, but exciting and new. We had the 4-day pass as well, and believe me, you can really put it to great use.

Good luck and enjoy!

Hi once again Grace

Just been looking at national rail enquiries online and it looks like there is one direct train every hour (09.20, 10.20 etc). Mind you I tried putting an October date in and it only has details for the next 3 months so those times are the current timetable. Not sure if it will change a bit later on. I wouldn't have thought so, but who knows with the train companies. Also the travelling time is approx 2 hours.

Other places that you could visit from your base in Southampton. Have you looked at Portsmouth???? It has a very naval background there.

http://www.visitbritain.com/VB3-en-GB/destinationguides/england/South_East/Destinations/portsmouth.aspx

http://www.visitsoutheastengland.com/

A couple of websites for you to look at if you haven't already.

Elaine

Thanks to all that have responded!

Jonty09 Beaulieu and New Forest really look interesting and I will certainly consider them.

Elaine: we have been to Windsor Castle many times, and really enjoyed it each and every time. Portsmouth now sounds good, thanks for the suggestion.

Sailsalot: the National Rail site is what I was looking for re the trains. Thanks.

I am going to dig out my UK detailed map (if I can find it) and see where all these places are.

Grace

Hi Grace

The Britrail pass from the look of it can be used on the entire British Rail network. The problem with the railways here now is that it has been privatised and lots of different companies run the trains. Here where I live it is Thameslink and Midland Mainline. Don't want to confuse you but at the end of the day I think it will work on any train on the network!! Or should. I have never heard of the Britrail pass so have been looking at the website. I don't think you will need the pass that goes to Scotland. I don't think you'll have time to get there in a day!! It's a bit of a trek!! So save yourself some money and go for the Britrail England consecutive pass or the Britrail England flexipass. Whichever you think is best for your needs. Even looking at it if you don't go much further North than London you could get the Britrail London plus pass. Check out the cheapest option for yourselves. I've found something out tonight I never knew existed. If I have confused you at all just let me know and I will try and word it better. The timetable on national rail is the main timetable site for all trains in the UK.

Elaine

Grace

Reading the London pass again, it appears that you may have to start your journey in London for this one so may not be suitable for what you want to do. Stick with the others!! Of course I may be reading it wrong.

Elaine

Grace

Only me again. Not familiar with how the Britrail pass works, but looking at the map and if you don't have to start your actual journey in London then this is going to be ideal for you. Have you looked at the map??

http://www.britrail.com/maps/BritRailmap2005World.pdf

Maybe you can speak to someone at Britrail just to confirm that you will be OK to start your journeys in Southampton and go to London etc with the London pass ticket.

I should point out that on the commuter type trains first class is nothing special. On the mainline trains (virgin, GNER, Midland mainline, etc) then first class is much better than standard accommodation.

Prices look good though. For me to go into London it is £23 return (standard class). You will get unlimited travel for quite good value looking at it. I see were not allowed to buy these tickets!! Only available to our visitors!! My husband and daughter both work in London and it is approx £3000 per year for their train ticket!!

Elaine

Elaine: Actually, the pass I am interested in would be the London Plus Britrail Pass. The map shows the areas where we would be traveling, and at $144. US for senior first class it is a bargain.

The way I understand it is that once you use the pass you have 4 consecutive days to use it. And you can activate the pass anywhere. Years ago, we got the SW Flexipass and that is how it worked.

So far, I have not really finalized my day trips, but have considered quite a few. I think that on Friday, we will chill out in Southampton, tour the town and a nice dinner.

On Saturday, I would like to train into London and do some markets, take the tube to various places, maybe have a late lunch and return to SH.

Sunday, maybe Salisbury, Monday Winchester, Tuesday, we will transfer to the Le Meridian hotel at Gatwick early in the am, and maybe go to Brighton.

There is sooooo much I want to see, and I do not want to be hurried, thus we are doing the Southern part of UK.

I guess we are still the only two on this voyage!!!

Grace

If you stay in Salisbury, you will find the White Hart hotel very convenient and pleasant. It is just across the street from the cathedral. I don't know how far away the train station is, because I was driving and had to circle the town twice before I could manage to get to the cathedral even though I could see the spire.

Grace

We wish we were the only 2 on this voyage. Looks like we will be good for an upgrade!!! The others just aren't looking at this board unfortunately!!!!!

I had never heard of the britrail pass so did some searching on the internet. It's very interesting. Yes, I too thought the London pass was the one you needed and like you say is very good value for money at approx £80 for all your travel in the 4 days. Like I said in one of my earlier messages it costs me £23 return to London in standard class. On the local trains (rather than intercity) you can normally find a small section of the train that is first class, but don't be expecting anything special. If you get the intercity type trains, then first class is definately the way to go!!

Looks like your days out are coming together. Have you ever been to Covent Garden up in London. Went there myself a couple of years ago with some friends who were over from Ireland. Never been before. Can you believe we only live 40 miles from London!! It will be crisp in October (or it could be wet). But I have to say we had a lovely lunch (sitting outside not to be recommended in October) and there were lots of street entertainment.

Going back to upgrades. I did ask my agent about looking into putting us on the upgrade list. From what I understand if you go on the list you can be upgraded to another cabin that may not be in such a good position as the one you originally picked (I like to be in the middle of the middle of the ship so would not want a cabin up the front). I also looked into getting the youngsters moved from an inside cabin but changed my mind. I'm just going to stick with what I have already booked.

Elaine

Hi Grace,

With regard to your question of whether Britrail pass can be used on National Rail, we used it in 2000, and just jumped on any train that went our way and had no problem. I don't know if things are different now with privitization, as Elaine mentions. But I do know we took trains with different names on them, so maybe they were different companies? A call to Britrail would probably answer that question. That's good that you're taking care of all of this now, because I'm sure you know that you can't get a Britrail pass once you get over there. You can only buy it and have it sent to you in the States. I was surprised to see that when we looked into it, but luckily, we read the fine print. :)

hi grace.....my parents were on the QM2 in april. they hired "woodford chauffeurs". they are still raving to this day about the wonderful service they received. first of all.....the price was extremely reasonable and the type of service they received was very "british"......uppercrust and all that!!! they were treated like royals. here in the states when you hire a limo it is just a limo....with woodford it is an experience in itself. if you go to the "britain" board below....you will find their website and many other raving reviews.

Archived