Scuba diving at Chankanaab?

ccemom

Hi. I cannot find a fairly recent thread on scuba at Chankanaab so I'm hoping someone out there can help me. We will be in Cozumel in February and the kids really want to swim with dolphins. My husband would like to scuba--he is certified--but doesn't really want to spend the day away from us. Is there any scuba from the shore at or near Chankanaab?

Thank you!

Been a few years since I was there, but on all of my previous trips to Chank there has been scuba diving available. There's decent shore diving (stays pretty shallow, but there's some reef & a good bit of sea life), and I think they also have boat dives available (don't remember for sure, I've just done the shore dive from there a couple of times). There were 4 or 5 shops, right beside each other, in palapas; pricing was pretty much the same at each of them.

• 2 weeks later...

My 13 yr old daughter and I did the discover scuba with El Clavado dive shop in Chankanaab park this past Saturday. There were two certified divers that also did the same dive with us, and they seemed very satisfied with the shore dive. It was about 30 feet, and we saw lobsters, eels, a sea horse, and sting rays. There were 4 of us diving with our awesome guide, Fabio.

It was $65 each for us beginners. I think it's cheaper for certified divers. When we entered Chamkanaab, a guy asked us if we were interested in doing anything special that day. I told him scuba, so he introduced us to Fabio with El Clavado. We followed him through some of the trails to the dive shop. Their shop is the far shop near the end of the park.

You could contact them through their website el clavado dive shop dot com to find out if you can do that. The two certified divers with us didn't seem bothered by having a guide. They brought their own equipment, and one of them was actually a dive instructor. Our guide showed us several points of interest and sea life that we probably would have missed otherwise. He even brought us through a short cave that was really cool.

Archived