Progresso eliminated

Tweety

I just received a letter from my travel agent stating that the Carnival Glory will no longer be stopping at Progresso. The reason they gave was that Carnival was getting many compaints that there wasn't enough time in Cozumel with the ship leaving at 4:30. It will now stay until 10:00pm. I myself am happy about this. We loved being in Cozumel at night. I believe this will start after June 18. We will be cruising the Glory in July. Can't wait!!

Maureen

That's to bad about Progresso. They have built that huge bridge to transpost all the cruise passangers into town. We visited while on the Pride. It was an interesting place to visit. We did not take any of the carnival tours, instead opted to take the shuttle into town, shop in the gated area, took a $2 double decker bus tour, ate at a quiant little restaurant and visited the most intetesting market ever. Was very cool to see how other cultures do not rely on refrigeration as we do. This market was basically a butcher shop with chicken hanging from drapped cords in the open air. Pigs being butchered and packaged without refrigeration, fish being filet. Cats all over the place. This area was open and without air conditioning. It has become one of my most visual memories.

I suspect the decision went something like this:

Decision Maker (DM #1) "You know trying to get back on time from Progresso is beating the crap out of the Glory's engines."

DM #2 "That's too bad. I know, since everyone likes Coz so much why don't we give them more time there and drop Progresso."

DM #1 "Good idea; now if we can just figure out how to get rid of Nassau on the Eastern do you think anyone will except a 7 day with just two stops?"

To be continued ....

if we can just figure out how to get rid of Nassau on the Eastern do you think anyone will except a 7 day with just two stops?

DM #2: "That's brilliant! With only two stops, people will probably be spending a lot more money aboard the ship. [sound effect--cash register]"

Granted, I haven't been to Nassau in a long time...but I might prefer that extra sea day to stopping there. Nassau just hasn't ever done much for me. I was surprised when the Glory replaced the Pride, and they dropped Half Moon Cay for Nassau (now I'm wondering if sending the Pride there wasn't just an experiment to see how HMC would cope with HAL's Vista-class ships).

On the other hand, two ports and four sea days isn't a great ratio--I experienced this last year on the Conquest when Grand Cayman got dropped because of hurricane damage. I love sea days, but this was a bit too much!

We were told this on the GLory last week. According to one of the officers, it is due to the often difficult weather conditions in Progresso and the delays the ship has experiened. I was told this at a private cocktail party.

I did not get off the ship in Progresso but heard many comments about how nice the locals were and how much work they were doing to improve their port. It was a strange place, as the pier is 6 miles long and unlike anywhere else I have arrived by ship.

now is this just Glory? we are sailing on Elation out ofGalveston on 6/19 and all my docs say we will be there... just curious... this is not the first tim eI have heard the No Progresso info...

Yes, for now it is just the Glory that will not be going to Progresso. We are leaving the week before you and also was worried about this. I think it was weather and time restraints that kept putting the Glory behind all the time. We are looking forward to Progresso, seems less touristy(sp) than Cozumel.

DM #1 "Good idea; now if we can just figure out how to get rid of Nassau on the Eastern do you think anyone will except a 7 day with just two stops?"

I'd do 7 Days, 2 Ports Eastern on the Glory

I had also heard this on the Glory when we went on May 21st. I liked the Mayan Ruin tour we went on, but on the bus ride back it was very dirty. You could fill a trash bag full of trash within 2 feet in some areas. My husband said there was no way we were getting off the bus in the town area. We just did our shopping at the pier. The beach area right off the pier, I believe where the Corona party? was looked liked a nice area, but inland was very dirty. I enjoyed the day there but would have rather had more time in Cozumel also.

I wish everyone would have had the opportunity to experience Merida- the large city inland from Progresso about 25 miles. It has been a hit for us in 03 and 04 (and would have been if not dropped this year) on the Porgresso stop. Merida is the home to beautiful cathedrals, wonderful shops with great values, fantastic architecture and a well planned city. Merida was always the hidden gem- a real city with real people- not at all touristy but loaded with a historic colonial flavor that is unprecedented throughout the Caribean. It was always an easy cab hop to get away from struggling Progresso. We will miss this stop and are disspointed Carnival dropped it from the Glory western.

Take a a poll of those who have been there and the majority will tell you that it is dirty slum like port.

I said it before, I'll say it again- I have ever seen a ship as CROWDED while in Port as the Glory when it was in Depresso.

If you like the smell of meat that is hanging out at 95 degree temps, then the area where they drop you off will be your cup of tea. If your idea of a fine beach is one that is filled with trash, then Depresso is thee place!

I just received a letter from my travel agent stating that the Carnival Glory will no longer be stopping at Progresso. The reason they gave was that Carnival was getting many compaints that there wasn't enough time in Cozumel with the ship leaving at 4:30. It will now stay until 10:00pm. I myself am happy about this. We loved being in Cozumel at night. I believe this will start after June 18. We will be cruising the Glory in July. Can't wait!!

Maureen

Yes its true I think we were the last group to stop in Progresso. Taking the shuttle into the city was fine as long as you stayed in the market area but once we wandered thru the city it was smelly, nasty and horrible! I was glad to get back to the ship!

Lois

I very much enjoyed my stop in Progreso and wouldn't hesitate to go back. The excursion to Uxmal alone was worth the stop. Next time, I'll probably explore Merida some. And there is some good eats in Progreso.

Not at all convinced a poll would show what someone else suggested.

While I love Cozumel just as much as everyone else if not more, I can't help but feel sorry for those people who depend on the tourists from the cruise ships for their livelihood. It's sad :(

Feel the same! Very happy about having longer in Cozumel ... but, we sort of like "shabby" Spanish speaking ports ... and feel sorry for the folks who depend on tourist. :o

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :rolleyes:

I am also booked on the Glory (9/10/05). The reason I booked The Glory, Western Caribbean, was BECAUSE it went to Progresso, as well as Belize.

I have been to Cozumel more times than I can count. A LOT of Western cruises include Coz. I don't CARE if there is not much to see. It is new for me and I was thrilled to try a NEW port.

I have been fortunate to have been on quite a few cruises. I book for the NEW PORTS. The extra sea day does not thrill me as much as arriving at a destination I have never been to.

Archived