Excursion Timings

I am on the Dream from 27th January for 14 nights (Latin Gems/Caribbean Treasures).

I have been to all the ports once before apart from Oranjestad and Willemstad. With only a few weeks to decide what to do, I have been looking at the excursions offered by The Dream. It amazes me at some of the short timings of these trips, sometimes only 2 1/2 hours and that is still listed as a 1/2 day tour. I find some of the beach trips, very short, no sooner you put on your sun cream, settle down to read your book and you are on your way back again!!

So I think I will be looking to book independantly, can anyone recommend companies that have websites for pre booking before we leave the UK?

Better still any trips and tours that you have done, that have been enjoyable.

Thanks for your advice

Lorraine

i think everyone must be on nights out tonight ha , well i have never sailed before, our first one is next sunday on the dream yippeeeee !! and we have only booked one excursion in st lucia, its a whale/dolphin trip with hackshaws and they are picking us up at 9am at the harbour. sorry i cant be of any help to you. i am sure one of the seasoned cruisers will respond at some point . good luck and enjoy x

I am on the Dream from 27th January for 14 nights (Latin Gems/Caribbean Treasures).

I have been to all the ports once before apart from Oranjestad and Willemstad. With only a few weeks to decide what to do, I have been looking at the excursions offered by The Dream. It amazes me at some of the short timings of these trips, sometimes only 2 1/2 hours and that is still listed as a 1/2 day tour. I find some of the beach trips, very short, no sooner you put on your sun cream, settle down to read your book and you are on your way back again!!

So I think I will be looking to book independantly, can anyone recommend companies that have websites for pre booking before we leave the UK?

Better still any trips and tours that you have done, that have been enjoyable.

Thanks for your advice

Lorraine

Hi Lorraine

Not sure whether you are just asking for advice about Aruba and Curacao as these two islands are new to you or if you want suggestions for any of the islands.

Certainly Cosol tours in St Lucia is highly recommended by lots of posters on here. Following their advice we booked up on-line with him before we left and I must say it was excellent and very good value at 65$ p.p. for a 5.5 hour trip which included eats and drinks and in our case lasted for more like 7 hours. We got email confirmation but paid nothing until the end of the tour.

http://www.cosol-tours.com/

We haven't done Bernards Tour on St Maarten but again quite a few have been with him and speak highly of that trip too.

Other than that we've tended to pick up tours on the dock. At Curacao we found a local tour company near the bridge selling tickets for a tour and just joined that. It was one of those colourful buses called the Salsa Express and visited the Curacao Distillery and did an island tour (some people got off for a beach stop of about an hour whilst the rest stayed on the bus can carried on with the tour). We enjoyed it but I think another time I'd look for a beach transfer.

We also picked up a local transfer on Tortola to Cane Garden Beach which was lovely.

But as we tend to just go with a local firm, use local buses or taxis, all of which we just get on the day, I can't help any further. Cosol was the only one we booked ahead and I must say it was definitely a good experience. hope you get some more suggestions to help you with your planning.

And enjoy your trip!:)

Aruba and Curacao both dock close to the centre (especially Aruba)Very easy to DIY, and Curacao in particular is a charming Town.The bus station in Aruba is right by the berth,just catch a bus to the hotel area for the best beaches.

Merciaman

So if I were to get on a bus in Aruba, how would I know which direction to go? Also how could I pay I will only have sterling and US$ with me.

Are the beaches in front of the hotels public or privately owned?

Thanks

Lorraine

Merciaman

So if I were to get on a bus in Aruba, how would I know which direction to go? Also how could I pay I will only have sterling and US$ with me.

Are the beaches in front of the hotels public or privately owned?

Thanks

Lorraine

I don't know where the best beaches are or how to get to them but we did catch the local bus in Aruba to Eagle Beach. Here is an extract from a review I did after that trip:

We had a look around then checked out the local bus and times. The bus station is across the road more or less opposite where you exit the port. At the left hand side is the L10 bus stop which serves the hotels and beaches just outside of the town. We went to Eagle Beach and the fare was $2.30 RETURN! Not a bad deal but coming back we waited quite a while for a bus (perhaps 15/20 minutes - some holidaymakers staying in a hotel said they were usually much more frequent) and lots of taxis stopped and offered us a return ride to the town for $2 each so you can easily get back at little cost and perhaps avoid waiting too long.

Eagle Beach had lovely sand but there was a lack of beach furniture and facilites where we got off. We were told later that Palm Beach a bit further along is good but I'm not sure if there was a charge for this one. I think it would be a good idea to ask at Destination Services for a bit more info on the best beach if you want facilites/bars etc - but the beach tself was lovely.

I've been doing a bit of research and plan to go there again but stay on the bus for a little while longer and get off at the Amsterdam Manor resort which has a public beach and facilities. A bit further still is Palm beach (I think)

Here is a link to a map which shows you the position of Eagle Beach in relation to Oranjestad - the bus follows the coast (with the sea on your left) and drops you off on the road which runs parallel to the shore. You cross the road to the beach and stay on the same side of the road as the beach to catch the bus for the return journey.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/namerica/caribb/awnewz.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/namerica/caribb/aw.htm&h=350&w=320&sz=26&tbnid=zhWTGUXnFuIPCM:&tbnh=82&tbnw=75&zoom=1&usg=__aBo80zzH6uyBLIXNeGw1hIUueLY=&docid=SR1DMa6vR5LiEM&sa=X&ei=xG_nUPWBHpPE4gTMr4GoDA&ved=0CDoQ9QEwAg&dur=648

Sorry have no idea about buses serving any other beaches/resorts.

The bus you want has "Hotel area" or something similar on the front but basically when you walk to the main st from the ship you will be heading left when you catch the bus.The bus station is almost immediately in front of you over the street.US Dollars are fine. Palm/Eagle beach were voted the 2nd best beach in the world last year on TA.

Archived