Need advice: Formal Dinner on Carnival Elation (sailing soon)

Cybele

I bought a beaded silk handkerchief-hemmed dress which I will wear with pumps, and will probably pick up a black silk shawl to go with it. DH is problematic: he has a very nice dark tan sports coat that he used for job interviews a year ago, with coordinated dress pants, shirt, and tie. He also has a Dockers black suit jacket/sports coat that I can find matching trousers for him at Kohl's this week. So, would the good quality tan sports coat be acceptable? The black sports coat is lesser quality, and I'd have to buy matching trouses. I suggested renting a tuxedo to him and he became rather grouchy.

Would our 5- and 7-year year old boys be OK with nice black trousers and long-sleeve shirts and ties?

TIA!

A sports coat -- not good - tan (any shade) is just not appropriate for an evening formal.

Thanks, Gert! The tan sports coat, however, spendy it was, stays home. I miswrote earlier. His black jacket is a blazer:

http://www.kohls.com/products/product_page_vanilla3.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=72997303&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=202396615&bmUID=1117570218412

Would that, with matching trousers, also be unacceptable?

The jacket and pants would be fine for your cruise. I was a bit scared when you mentioned the tan sport coat.

Even though I dressed my son in a sport coat and later a suit for our cruises (he had them because of other events) what you have planned for the kids at that age is just fine. Up until they are about 13 you can get away with dressing down for them. When the teenage years come, its time to teach them a lesson on how to dress up and what is appropriate.

Enjoy your cruise, you will have some great pictures to bring home.

I am not sure if "sports coat" is really the right word. It was about $300 and was from a tailor and is like the top half of a suit. I've always lived in very laid-back places (Southern California, Hawaii, Guam, Austin). Can you tell?

Thanks for all your help! I'm off today to find the boys some slightly dressier shoes and black matching pants for my DH. Unlike their dad, the boys love dressing up.

Archived