Latouka and noumea things to do and currency

dgkozzykid

What should I do whilst in latouka and noumea I have heard amadee lighthouse is good any reviews or other ideas? Are latouka markets ok?

Do I use credit card or is it cheaper to have local currency on these ports

Thx :)

Check out this thread with a similar question for some suggestions on both Lautoka and Noumea. If you enjoy snorkeling and doing things independently you could consider getting a water taxi to Duck island and doing their snorkel trail. Instructions in the New Caledonia weekly, which you can pick up at the cruise terminal or from the Tourist Information Office in Coconut Square.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1651203&highlight=lautoka

You will probably find that the ship's tour is the only viable way to get to Amadee Island in Noumea. I tried to book independenetly and they wanted a hotel address in Noumea. When I admitted we were on a cruise, I was told all cruise passengers were required to book through the ship itself. It IS a good day (we did it on a land based holiday) but not if the weather is against you.

Currency - In noumea it is the Pacific Franc. Local buses, museums, taxis etc only take the local currency but you can get this easily from cash card tellers scattered throughout the town. You will need local currency if you are planning to stick in Noumea itself and use local transport. I have not been to Lautoka but we did something similar in Nadi, except we used one of the street front money changers with a good rate.

• 1 month later...
What should I do whilst in latouka and noumea I have heard amadee lighthouse is good any reviews or other ideas? Are latouka markets ok?

Do I use credit card or is it cheaper to have local currency on these ports

Thx :)

I can thoroughly recommend going to Amadee Island Marine Reserve! My husband and I have done this tour on our last three cruises to Noumea - an amazing day and the best tour we have done on all of our cruises. To do this tour, you need to have a full day in Noumea.

The tour leaves from the ship where you catch a bus around to the marina. It is a 45 minute fast catamaran ride out to the island. The company that operates this tour is extremely professional. Activities are held throughout the day which include glass bottom boat tours, tours out to the reef, as well as displays while you enjoy a delicious buffet lunch! You can also climb the steps of the lighthouse.

Snorkelling is amongst the best we have done in the South Pacific. Plenty of turtles to be seen, sea snakes (more deadly than the cobra but will avoid humans at any cost!), remoras as well as heaps of other fish.

Due to weather we could not do Amadee although reportedly it is great. Instead we went to duck island (bring water shoes). They had some good snorkeling and I would recommend it. In the terminal there are many operators selling the trip which includes a hop on hop off bus that stops at the boat taxi for the 5 minute trip to the island. Chairs and umbrellas are available for rent.

Amadee Lighthouse

Amadee Island is only 45 minutes from Noumea on 'Mary D' high-speed ferry. The island has beautiful white sands and crystal clear water. Feed bread to the reef fish and they will surround you in knee deep water! The buffet lunch was an island feast! All with rum punch, red & white wine and a cultural dance show. An extremely pleasant day. I highly recommend it

This is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. This is the number one thing to do in Noumea. The day trip would be well worth the money.

Transport from the ship to the boat was seemless and the tour explanations and itinerary spelt out to the group and then they went and gave out pamphlets of the itinerary with each individual group or family was very personal and appreciated.

Lunch : The buffet lunch was an island feast! All with rum punch, red & white wine and a cultural dance show. and the island dancing was fantastic. The staff of the Mary D are just great and go above and beyond what you would expect.

snakes were all over the island just coming out of the water at random and slowly coming to land to digest there catch they were very pretty and were not in the least aggressive.

The glass bottom boat tour: was worth the half hour providing guests with bread to feed and attract some of the prettiest fish i have ever seen.

The reef cruise: is spectacular, as with the glass bottom boat bread was given out and the tour operators threw fish guts and the like to attract some beautiful and very large fish to the side of the boat.

The ligthhouse: is beyond words and is awe-inspiring. The climb to the top is hard so if you are not fit take it easy. It is a narrow climb but worth the spectacular views when you get to the top.

There was also sarong tying demonstrations, coconut climbing tree demonstrations where they encouraged ppl to climb and would guide them to the top.

overall this was an amazing day to do what you wanted at your own pace you could see it all or just spend the day snorkelling on a private island.

the only down sides were the little shop where you bought drinks, souvenirs, hired snorkel gear etc was a one man show that rounded up instead of giving change and was very slow to be served at

(approximately 30 mins to be served) considering the amount of ppl on the island all wanting to buy or hire but other than that it was a perfect day.

very much recommended

Amadee Lighthouse

Amadee Island is only 45 minutes from Noumea on 'Mary D' high-speed ferry. The island has beautiful white sands and crystal clear water. Feed bread to the reef fish and they will surround you in knee deep water! The buffet lunch was an island feast! All with rum punch, red & white wine and a cultural dance show. An extremely pleasant day. I highly recommend it

This is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. This is the number one thing to do in Noumea. The day trip would be well worth the money.

Transport from the ship to the boat was seemless and the tour explanations and itinerary spelt out to the group and then they went and gave out pamphlets of the itinerary with each individual group or family was very personal and appreciated.

Lunch : The buffet lunch was an island feast! All with rum punch, red & white wine and a cultural dance show. and the island dancing was fantastic. The staff of the Mary D are just great and go above and beyond what you would expect.

snakes were all over the island just coming out of the water at random and slowly coming to land to digest there catch they were very pretty and were not in the least aggressive.

The glass bottom boat tour: was worth the half hour providing guests with bread to feed and attract some of the prettiest fish i have ever seen.

The reef cruise: is spectacular, as with the glass bottom boat bread was given out and the tour operators threw fish guts and the like to attract some beautiful and very large fish to the side of the boat.

The ligthhouse: is beyond words and is awe-inspiring. The climb to the top is hard so if you are not fit take it easy. It is a narrow climb but worth the spectacular views when you get to the top.

There was also sarong tying demonstrations, coconut climbing tree demonstrations where they encouraged ppl to climb and would guide them to the top.

overall this was an amazing day to do what you wanted at your own pace you could see it all or just spend the day snorkelling on a private island.

the only down sides were the little shop where you bought drinks, souvenirs, hired snorkel gear etc was a one man show that rounded up instead of giving change and was very slow to be served at

(approximately 30 mins to be served) considering the amount of ppl on the island all wanting to buy or hire but other than that it was a perfect day.

very much recommended

All sounds wonderful!! Did you do this by ship tour? Or did you organise yourself through the 'Mary D'? Or a private tour company?

Thanks! I think I might do it - sounds great.

Last time I did the tchoo tchoo train - was ok, but wouldn't rave about it.

What did you do in Lautoka? It is only a new port of call and as such I doubt that it would be set up for tours and all the tourists arriving.

All sounds wonderful!! Did you do this by ship tour? Or did you organise yourself through the 'Mary D'? Or a private tour company?

Depending on the cruise line, you can only do this tour as a shore excursion due to the arrival and departure times of the ship. Despite the cost, we have done it three times and if we could only do one ship's shore excursion, this is definitely it.

The tour is always the last to arrive back at the ship and generally the security staff are almost hurrying the last passenger up the gangway!

Archived