Denali Bluffs experience anyone?

makentake

Just booked four 4 rooms at Denali Bluffs for June. I tried calling them to ask a couple questions but I guess they are not open this time of year. Had to leave a message and no return calls. Wondering about their shuttle service. Do you have to tell them you are arriving by train so a shuttle will be there or are they there anyway? Are restaurants nearby? Hope it is a nice hotel since I made the arrangements, don't want angry friends!

The shuttle was OK. The train comes in at the same time every day. If they know you are coming by train, there should be a shuttle to meet you. The shuttle takes you to the WAC, and down the hill to Glitter Gulch. Sometimes we had to call them to pick us up, and sometimes we took the Princess shuttle that ran more regularly, then walked from the Princess lodge to Denali Bluffs lodge. Denali Bluff is up a steep hill, pretty isolated, and we walked up that hill, as the shuttle didn't run very frequently.

Would we stay there again? No. The lodge is very run down. Chipped paint everywhere. Functional, yes. There was only one chair in the room and no chairs on the balcony. The bathroom had been upgraded and was nice, but that was about it. We also stayed at Princess lodge 2 nights. Princess was comparable to a motel 6. There is a restaurant in Denali lodge. We didn't eat there. I'm not sure if it was open for business. You'll have to walk or take the shuttle down the hill to Glitter Gulch, or go to the Princess compound or Mt. Kinley compound for restaurant options.

Thanks, although that's discouraging. I was hoping for better. I guess we will stick with it anyway since we are working on a budget and it fits the bill. We won't be in the room much, just to sleep. I hope it is clean at least! We were in Denali several years ago and stayed in some cabins that were basically functional as well and lived through that experience so we'll hope for the best this time.

If you haven't done so already, get a TourSaver (or Northern Lights, I think) coupon book. There is a coupon in for Denali Bluffs for one night free with the purchase of one night. We are staying 3 nights at Denali Bluffs and with the coupon, the total cost is right around $150/night. Savings that more than paid for the 2 books I purchased!

Denali Bluffs is pretty much equal to anything in the glitter gulch area. It's not as spread out as the Denali Princess or the McKinley Chalet nor is it as crowded. Room are ok and do the job for which they are intended.

Keep in mind that hotels in this area are seasonal and the harsh winters in the area can do a number on maintenance issues. These places usually open in mid-May and close by early September. During the winter, they are pretty much boarded up. Summer finds great guest turnover due to cruise ship/land tour groups. It's not a place to spend much time in your room since you are spending the majority of your time touring the park.

Archived