British Colonial Hilton - Useage fee

sickofsnowinmich

My dad will be in a manual wheelchair (one of us will be pushing him). Are the sidewalks and cutouts to the BCH ok for him in a wheelchair to get to and from?

Someone mentioned horse drawn carriage rides to BCH since cabs probably won't go that short distance. Any info on the horse draw carriage? I would like to go at least one way comfortably by other means than by foot if it will be difficult.

Hi Scubagirl and Everyone!

I am also planning to do BCH.

I have availability confirmation email and I just need to make my deposit.

Just double-checking that the best way to book is through ISLAND MARKETING?

They are reputable and the only/best way to book?

Can you book in advance directly w/BCH? THX!

I booked BCH online through Island Marketing. It was less expensive than directly with BCH. In fact, when I emailed BCH for details regarding their day pass, they suggested Island Marketing due to the discount. So I'm pretty sure it is reputable. I can let you know after our cruise :p

My dad will be in a manual wheelchair (one of us will be pushing him). Are the sidewalks and cutouts to the BCH ok for him in a wheelchair to get to and from?

Someone mentioned horse drawn carriage rides to BCH since cabs probably won't go that short distance. Any info on the horse draw carriage? I would like to go at least one way comfortably by other means than by foot if it will be difficult.

Not sure a horse drawn carriage would be a good choice. They might be difficult to get in and out of.. and beyond that.. the roads don't flow in that direction without going up the hill and out of the way. They also won't take the wheelchair.

The walk is not a bad one, some sort of walkway or sidewalk the whole way.... and you're ore likely to get a cab back to the ship from the Hilton than the other way.. of course, you'll pay $10 for 2 ppl plus $3 for each add'l person regardless of how short a trip.

• 4 weeks later...

This seems like a great way to spend the day in Nassau! I love the idea of being able to walk to the resort; not having to rely on a taxi. Has anyone been here recently? Is it safe walking back and forth alone (I will most likely be traveling solo this trip).

Thanks!

Caro

This seems like a great way to spend the day in Nassau! I love the idea of being able to walk to the resort; not having to rely on a taxi. Has anyone been here recently? Is it safe walking back and forth alone (I will most likely be traveling solo this trip).

Thanks!

Caro

The walk takes less than 10 minutes and is safe for solo travelers as well. It's easy, and a very public walk.. lots of people and police.

I booked BCH online through Island Marketing. It was less expensive than directly with BCH. In fact, when I emailed BCH for details regarding their day pass, they suggested Island Marketing due to the discount. So I'm pretty sure it is reputable. I can let you know after our cruise :p

I booked the BCH through Island Marketing, also. We have used them multiple times on other islands and have always been, not just satisfied, but impressed. In St. Thomas, the ship was 2 hours late docking due to high winds I.M. reps were on the pier waiting for us and we got the full tour. We were booked for Belize and they (I.M.) emailed us that we weren't going to Belize but were going to Costa Maya. Can I tell you that the folks at Carnival didn't admit that for almost a week after we heard it from I.M.? They (I.M.) gave us some Costa Maya options for the same price as the Belize excursion - or the option to cancel completely. It just doesn't get any better than that. And, the $40 all inclusive on the beach in Costa Maya with Jaime and the gang was sweet, too!

No lockers or storage. Property is pretty compact, you CAN keep you're eye on things while in the pool or beach.

Although it's not a public access beach, just to be safe, I wouldn't bring anything of significant value.

Several years ago I bought one of those plastic, waterproof pouches on a lanyard -- about $15 for a good one. Mine happens to be Lewis n Clark but there are others - just check Amazon for a variety of options. Mine is completely waterproof and large enough for papers, camera, credit cards, etc. I quietly bury it in the sand before we hit the water and never worry about a thing -- I snorkel....it's impossible to keep a close watch with you face in the water all the time.

HECK YES! Thanks for the pic and all the info! I was wanting to do this and emailed the Hilton but I will now contact Island Marketing.

THANKS so much this forum is awesome!

Carrie in GA

(first time cruiser in Sept!)

A first cruise is so exciting! And you are starting off right by getting on Cruise Critic. I didn't know about it for years and have learned so much from other cruisers since I discovered CC. Trip Advisor is also a great resource for the destinations and excursions. Have you joined the thread for your cruise yet? You'll get to know the folks cruising with you pretty well in the months to come. We often meet up with some CC folks in the city we are sailing from on the night before our cruise for drinks or dinner. Welcome to CC AND cruising. On my current upcoming cruise, it is porting from our area so we've already had 3 local meet & greets. There are 36 signed up for our M&G and Cabin Crawl on the ship- a very sociable group!

Thanks!

Caro

Hi - I was there this past Thur (5/2/13). The walk was just fine, and even though the weather wasn't great, we still enjoyed it and are glad we went. We got there about 11:30, got a comfy bed, but just after an hour, it started raining. We went under the cafe covering and had lunch - LOVED THE GROUPER FINGERS (but not the jerk chicken wrap). Hubby also had Long Island Iced Tea and I had Mudslide (Yum!).

After about an hour or more, the rain stopped, and the attendants changed the bedding, and the sun came out. Though still too chilly for the pool or beach, we enjoyed relaxing and the FREE WI-FI. Especially, since the weather hadn't been great the whole time, we were glad to realize we didn't have to leave right at 5:00, although that's when the cafe closed. We stayed til about 6:15 as we didn't have to be back on board til 7:30.

HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND BCH!!

Thanks so much for the info!!! I feel a lot better. The first time I went to Nassau it was about of a bust, so I figured this time. I would try and keep it a bit more low key. This sounds perfect :)

Hi - I was there this past Thur (5/2/13). The walk was just fine, and even though the weather wasn't great, we still enjoyed it and are glad we went. We got there about 11:30, got a comfy bed, but just after an hour, it started raining. We went under the cafe covering and had lunch - LOVED THE GROUPER FINGERS (but not the jerk chicken wrap). Hubby also had Long Island Iced Tea and I had Mudslide (Yum!).

After about an hour or more, the rain stopped, and the attendants changed the bedding, and the sun came out. Though still too chilly for the pool or beach, we enjoyed relaxing and the FREE WI-FI. Especially, since the weather hadn't been great the whole time, we were glad to realize we didn't have to leave right at 5:00, although that's when the cafe closed. We stayed til about 6:15 as we didn't have to be back on board til 7:30.

HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND BCH!!

Is the voucher pp or per couple?

If we were to return to Nassau, I would definitely do the Hilton day pass again. We paid $40 each a few years ago and had a great day at the beach with our then nearly four year old. We had great chairs, nice tiki umbrella, lots of great sand and calm water. He made use of the sand toys, we ate lunch on the voucher and it was soooo worth what we paid then. $70 a day with a $40 voucher is not a deal I'd sneeze at. I'd do it again in a heart beat.

Thanks so much for the info!!! I feel a lot better. The first time I went to Nassau it was about of a bust, so I figured this time. I would try and keep it a bit more low key. This sounds perfect :)

I was just there 5/16/13. I second everything said and just had to post because it was so awesome! I am about to make my own thread about it, but just to address your concern with walking....my husband threw his back out the morning of this excursion. He was in bed with tears in his eyes with the thought that he would be stuck in bed for the rest of the cruise. I was determined to not let that happen and was able to (after many tears at the front desk) get a wheelchair free of the normal $85 charge. So here I am wheeling my husband off the boat with our 4 and 5 year old kids in tow. I was so nervous because I couldn't hold their hands so my husband put the 4 year old on his lap and I wheeled both while my daughter hung to the side. It was difficult to get through the crowds of people but I felt safe. There were so many tourists walking around that it made it more comfortable and you probably won't feel alone. See my new post about how awesome it was!

I was just there 5/16/13. I second everything said and just had to post because it was so awesome! I am about to make my own thread about it, but just to address your concern with walking....my husband threw his back out the morning of this excursion. He was in bed with tears in his eyes with the thought that he would be stuck in bed for the rest of the cruise. I was determined to not let that happen and was able to (after many tears at the front desk) get a wheelchair free of the normal $85 charge. So here I am wheeling my husband off the boat with our 4 and 5 year old kids in tow. I was so nervous because I couldn't hold their hands so my husband put the 4 year old on his lap and I wheeled both while my daughter hung to the side. It was difficult to get through the crowds of people but I felt safe. There were so many tourists walking around that it made it more comfortable and you probably won't feel alone. See my new post about how awesome it was!

Thanks for posting!! My dad will be using his wheelchair and I'll be pushing him, thanks for letting us know that it's doable!

Also, I used Island Marketing for a Grand Cayman cruise excursion and they were top notch! I have no problem using them again!

Archived