Portable Oxygen Concetrators & the TSA

Leonid

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who uses a POC and has gone through TSA screening. DW uses oxygen 24/7 and will be using her POC when we go through screening. She also uses a travel wheelchair, which should make her experience interesting.

I'm sure it will all go smoothly, TSA and the airlines are used to this sort of equipment.

You may find this explanation of the process helpful:

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/portable-oxygen

It is important to give the airline advance notice though, as not all POC equipment is suitable for use in flight, but I'm sure you've already checked that, here is the page for AA as an example:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/specialAssistance/oxygen.jsp

I hope all goes well and you enjoy your cruise.

It won't be a problem at all. TSA is well versed in POCs. They will look at it and perhaps wipe it to check for explosives. :lol: Give yourself plenty of time and have a letter from your doc indicating the need for the POC. If you haven't contacted the airline yet do it today. They have a form that needs to be filled out and returned. I traveled with O2 a few years ago and was very nervous that I would have problems with TSA etc. But everything went very smoothly, even on my return from Europe. Have a great cruise.

My husband has used one a number of times. Please allow an extra hour to go thru TSA as they wipe it down along with the chair and it must be an approved kind. We get ours from Lincare and need three weeks to order one as they come from Florida. We also fly first class as the comcentrator must sit on the floor at your feet. It has enabled him to travel almost anywhere. We also get three batteries which last about five hours each. You can recharge one in the club of most airlines. We have not tried to charge a battery in any gate area.

If you have any questions, ask your oxygen provider.

Have a wonderful trip!

Thanks for the feedback. DW uses the new Invacare XPO2, which is approved by the FAA. Got the necessary paperwork (SWA) signed by her lung doc. I figured that we would need the extra time.

Archived