Belize missed port?

ILCruzr

I don't know why Belize would be someone's favorite port. The only safe area is the port, and that is walled, yes walled off so you won't venture the real Belize. A paying tour will take you to a tourist area. So, to be perfectly safe, you must pay out of pocket to do so.

We booked what we thought to be a cheap tour once we were at the port, wondered why no one else was on it. It was a tour, that took us by buggy outside the wall. We saw the narrow streets, fenced in yards that had guard dogs, homes with barred windows (it turned out the bars were for other reasons than theft), Most homes were at poverty level.

We sure got lectured upon return by fellow passengers. During the early shipboard talk, that we didn't go to, had warned people not to go outside the wall. I shuddered after this tour thinking how dangerous a spot we put ourselves in, we were 2 females. During the tour, we put our faith in the driver of the buggy, thinking no one would do anything as we were a paying a local person for this tour, and he obviously was well known in this area.

These are third world countries. They do not have the luxury as we may do. We happen to take our step daughter to them so that she can appreciate what she owns. The reason for traveling to other countries is to see how they live. Go to Panama and see the trash in their streets or spend a week in Mexico City where the government controls when you can have power or water. Each time I go to these places we learn a little more about the country. In fact my husband makes sure that some child gets a few dollars to brighten their day.

I called carnival and they told me Belize was being replaced by costa Maya on this weeks glory cruise. And I think there will b no more Belize on future cruises bc the Xmas cruise got re routed too

I really hope that's not the case. I'd be disappointed if Belize was permanently replaced. I know, it's my fault for not taking this cruise sooner, but still. I also would be less inclined to book a cruise knowing that it went to Cozumel, Costa Maya, Grand Cayman and Roatan. Not that there is anything wrong with Costa Maya and I do want to get back there sometime, but I'm one who cruises for the ports and want to get to as many different ones as I can.

I really hope that's not the case. I'd be disappointed if Belize was permanently replaced. I know, it's my fault for not taking this cruise sooner, but still. I also would be less inclined to book a cruise knowing that it went to Cozumel, Costa Maya, Grand Cayman and Roatan. Not that there is anything wrong with Costa Maya and I do want to get back there sometime, but I'm one who cruises for the ports and want to get to as many different ones as I can.

That's how I feel!! I cruise to to go to different ports and love to travel to experience many different places. I'm not one to cruise because of a ship, and there are many reasons why people cruise and I cruise for the itinerary!

Well not that he is always known for giving correct facts (although perhaps he himself isn't given them....)

Anyway, John Heald just announced to someone on the 1/20 Legend cruise that yes, Belize would be replaced with Costa Maya. The reason given was too many ships in port.

Since for all of January the same four ships are in port, I'm going to assume that my 1/27 cruise will have the same itinerary change. I did ask him though, if they were going to do that, could they please change the excursions pages.

Don't know if this now will be a permanent change or what.

]

Yea but that thread started today. I started this thread Thursday..look at dates before u slam.

Whoah..who's slamming. There was 2 posts initiated about the same ship and same port in question, so there would be info or opinions on both that might not be the same. Chill out.

John just answered my post on FB and said he'd have an announcement within an hour.

I asked him that since he'd already stated to a previous poster that the sailing before mine was being diverted, would ours be as well. (1/20 and 1/27)

I said I was more interested in having the excursion pages being updated to correct ports so as to avoid the long lines.

NEWEST UPDATE

For the Legend and the Glory - the following sailings will go to Costa Maya instead of Belize:

1/6/13, 1/20/13, 2/3/13, 2/17/13, 3/3/13, 3/17/13, 3/31/13, 12/8/13 & 12/22/13

(posted dates are from John Heald - so take that into consideration - but he did say they should update the excursion pages soon)

John says it's operational - too many ships? That's NO suprise for Carnival - I looked up weeks ago which ships would be in port with us. We booked this Carnival cruise ONLY BECAUSE OF BELIZE. Not happy at all about this last minute change. We booked on the Legend 2/3.:mad:

John says it's operational - too many ships? That's NO suprise for Carnival - I looked up weeks ago which ships would be in port with us. We booked this Carnival cruise ONLY BECAUSE OF BELIZE. Not happy at all about this last minute change. We booked on the Legend 2/3.:mad:

Going to a port you booked a cruise for, getting it cancelled while actually seeing your port in a distance, having it cancelled on the spot, then get a sea day is worse!

Going to a port you booked a cruise for, getting it cancelled while actually seeing your port in a distance, having it cancelled on the spot, then get a sea day is worse!

It's 27 days to the cruise - it's feeling like Bait & Switch to me.:(

It's 27 days to the cruise - it's feeling like Bait & Switch to me.:(

I know it FEELS that way, because it was your ship that drew the 'go somewhere else' card in the game of Port shuffle. I'd be upset, too..but it IS in the contract to cover Carnival's butt.

I am sorry you are going to miss Belize....I hope you can find a nice alternative for Costa Maya. Its not the same.. I know.

Whoah..who's slamming. There was 2 posts initiated about the same ship and same port in question, so there would be info or opinions on both that might not be the same. Chill out.

I'm slamming you because you were rude to post bump or whatever. I started this post days ago. Rude people like u is what keeps ppl off the boards. Keep your opinions to yourself bc since my original thread, theres been additional threads.

I am on the Liberty, 2/9 and we are going to Belize. No cancellation yet and I do not vision one.

I would be highly upset as well but would get over it. I have been to both Belize and Costa Maya, and love Belize. I booked Liberty because of Belize, I want to go back to Caye Caulkner.

Not to say I wouldn't love Costa Maya.

A couple of years ago we missed Grand Cayman and went to Key West. This was not Carnival's fault but a passenger who needed medical help and probably should not have cruised to begin with. Booked another cruise last year and finally got to Grand Cayman.

But this logistics thing with Belize, sounds as if it could be Carnival's fault at bad planning.

No worries, Have a great cruise and enjoy! A cruise is better than no cruise. You'll forget all about Belize after your first DOD.

I'm sorry to those missing Belize. It may not be everyone's favorite port, but it's a popular destination right now and one that people are booking cruises to visit. Obviously, Carnival knew for a long time how many ships would be in port. It would not seem right to suddenly decide that four or five ships tendering at once is a bad idea and, at the last minute, switch everyone who has booked an itinerary with Belize. Maybe it's something out of their control. I know they've had issues with the Belize tender operators before. But they need to honestly and immediately communicate with future cruisers, who are still booking cruises on these ships with Belize listed in the itinerary. This is different than weather, which is unpredictable and out of their control.

I am going to assume for now that cruises on the Conquest, Magic, and Dream will still be stopping in Belize because they are scheduled on non-busy port days. If there's a bigger problem with Belize, Carnival needs to admit it now.

I love how they can put anything into their non-negotiable contract and people just say, "It's in the contract," as if that's a complete defense.

I'm sorry to those missing Belize. It may not be everyone's favorite port, but it's a popular destination right now and one that people are booking cruises to visit. Obviously, Carnival knew for a long time how many ships would be in port. It would not seem right to suddenly decide that four or five ships tendering at once is a bad idea and, at the last minute, switch everyone who has booked an itinerary with Belize. Maybe it's something out of their control. I know they've had issues with the Belize tender operators before. But they need to honestly and immediately communicate with future cruisers, who are still booking cruises on these ships with Belize listed in the itinerary. This is different than weather, which is unpredictable and out of their control.

I am going to assume for now that cruises on the Conquest, Magic, and Dream will still be stopping in Belize because they are scheduled on non-busy port days. If there's a bigger problem with Belize, Carnival needs to admit it now.

I love how they can put anything into their non-negotiable contract and people just say, "It's in the contract," as if that's a complete defense.

Ain't that the truth! The person I'm going with has been to belize and was willing repeat the itinerary for me and I really wanted to see Belize. I dunno when I'll get to see belize now lol

I thought I would chime in and say this is not something new. Last year at this same time Carnival cancelled Belize and replaced it with Costa maya on a whole bunch of sailings. Luckily our cruise was not affected since I think our ship was the only one in port that day.

I sent an email to my PVP and she just called me to tell me that on OUR sailing, 2/3/13 Legend, we will still be going to Belize.

No changes showing on her end for Legend except a couple dates in Dec 2013...

She did say things are updated every morning, and if there was a change it would generate an automatic email to us...

Love my PVP!

2 Hours ago - John Heald posted:

There has been a slight change to the dates regarding the change from Belize to Costa Maya for the Carnival Legend with only the following dates affected.

12/22/13 (1/06/2013 current sailing)

Carnival Glory's voyages where there is a change from Belize to Costa Maya are;

- 01/20/2013, 02/03/2013, 02/17/2013, 03/03/2013, 03/17/2013, 03/31/2013, 12/08/2013 & 12/22/2013

Nothing we can really do about it. I will not miss Belize (only port I didn't like on the Liberty last year) and never been to Costa Maya - so going to see a new place which is always fun no latter what.

Like I said before - either way it's definitely going to be better than any day at work!!

:p

Archived