Your highest bill?

The biggest was my first cruise with my sister. It was about $500 for mines alone.

Now, it ranges between $350 - $500. My Allure cruise was just under $400, but that included gratuities and I checked the TV every night to make sure I didn't go crazy.

I'm going to start buying OBC for my September cruise in the next month or so, as it will be a solo cruise and I know I'll be drinking a fair bit.

I'm a relative newbie to cruising.

What is the 'secret' to getting sooo much $$$ in OBC as some of you have mentioned?

TIA:)

Generally three ways, but watch out for the caveats...

1) The RCl Visa through BOA. Effective return of 1%. The problem of course being that you can get other cards that give 1% (or more) in cash, which you can use however you want, not just on RCL. I have an RCL card, but ONLY use it for RCL purchases (effectively getting 2% back). Everything else goes on one of the cards that gets more than 1% back.

2) From Travel Agents for your booking, but watch out, sometimes what looks like a great deal is not because that agent offering the higher OBC is also charging you a higher fare. Shop around to make sure you are getting the best deal.

3) From RCL through being a shareholder or booking onboard or one of the other promotions. Back in the good old days you could combine these and really rack up. The cruise lines have gotten wise to this and generally limit you to one perk.

Hint- if you do tally up a tidy OBC balance, don't pre-pay your tips, add them to your SeaPass onboard so that you can charge them against the credit.

Archived