what is QE2 like for teenagers?

andy1234

I have cruised a lot without the children but this summer I hope to take my 4 teen kids with me, what is the ship like for teenagers, can I expect other kids to be on the ship, or should I go with another ship?

In 2003 we took our 2 Grandsons aged 14 & 16 and they had a superb time. We did go in August and so there were a good few other Teens aboard. The Staff were great and they entertained them. In fact we hardly saw them except in passing. I think it would not be so good if it were not in the school holidays.

The boys really enjoyed the whole experience and would go again like a shot

I've never been on QE2, but I'm 15 and have read hundreds of articles, etc. about her environment, so I might be able to help.

I think it would depend on their personality. I know that I would enjoy it, because I am a huge ocean liner person, and QE2 is my favourite ship. I would be combing the decks with my books and old floor plans researching the vessel. I'm also a bit of an exception.

However, there are other kids my age who also enjoy the formality and experience of a Cunard adventure. They can find entertainment in more "intellectual" (for lack of a better word at the moment) activities. They enjoy lectures and productions. Although they might not be liner buffs like me, they can still appreciate the ship for the amazing thing she is. If that's what your kids are like, I think they'd enjoy her.

However, if your kids are the kind that prefer to have an activity-packed ship, then QE2 is not for them. There is no 200' waterslide or rock climbing wall or other such features aboard her. If they would rather have those kinds of activities, then I would reccomend a different type of line.

I think you just have to boil it down to what your kids will appreciate. You don't want them to not enjoy the trip. If you (and they) think that they'd enjoy a more activity-packed cruise instead, then I would reccomend that you do that.

If you do go, I'd be more than glad to pose as your fifth child. :D

I'm 18 and my sister's 16 and we've been on the ship twice this year and have loved it! Luckily though, we had a lot of other teenagers our age aboard at the same time because it was the school holidays! We spent most of the time on decks/table tennis room/cinema etc when aboard ship and really enjoyed it. I suppose it depends on the amount of other teenagers you get on board as well, but I'm sure they'd have a great time. Also, at that age, you tend to get on really well with the younger crew, so it's all good fun!

And also, it's such a good feeling at our age to tell our friends etc that we've been aboard QE2 and to be a part of its history!

We are taking our children (a lad 19 and our daughter will turn 22 whilst on board). I am worried about them, but apparently there will be plenty of younger crew on board to keep them company. We will be going in September to the US.

Elaine

The summer holidays here in the UK are normally from mid July to the first week in September. They state schools generally have 6 weeks off with the private schools generally having approx 8 weeks off.

Elaine

Thanks young QE2 cruiser.

We are actually neighbours!!!!!

We live in Bedfordshire!!!!!!

I am so looking forward to this trip. I so want to visit the US with the kids but being afraid of flying it's the only way we are going to do it. We normally cruise with P & O and the kids have grown up on their ships. Craig who will be 19 was just 4 when we took our first cruise on Canberra. We are on Oriana for christmas too this year. Two long holidays with a short period inbetween. I hope I can fit in my dresses (both before QM2 and before Oriana)!!

Have you ever cruised on P & O and if so how do they compare. I know my kids are far too old for the kids clubs nowadays but being used to cruising I hope they will be OK on QM2. Looking foward to being the only family in the G32 nightclub. From what I hear this place is not busy!!!

I'm more worried about my son than my daughter. She's quite happy to read a book, but he doesn't like reading and will probably take his x box to keep himself amused. How sad is that?? Do you know if the X Box will work on the in cabin TV's??

Any advice for the youngsters will be great and as you are young yourselves you may be able to give me some help here. I know that a transatlantic trip is going to be so much different to our med or caribbean cruises with P & O!!

Many thanks

Elaine

Oh stupid me, I can see you are off on Oceana!!!!!

Any advice I can give you on Oceana????? Very good nightclub on board. Quite small, but always seems lively!!!!!!

Went on Oceana and although not my favourite ship with P & O was the best holiday we have ever had. I know that this sounds contradictory and I can't exactly put my finger on what it was. Do make sure you eat out at the grill as this is a wonderful place to eat on a warm summers evening. Best time to eat there is when there is a show outside. You have a prime vantage point for the evening if you book the right time (ie, your table is not required for a later booking)!!

You can give me info on QM2 and I can give you info on Oceana.

Elaine

I think X box's work on board, although I'm not 100% sure, but I seem to remember vaguely that someone had one on board at xmas.

Unfortunately I've never done a transatlantic myself so I'm not too sure how they are going to compare. But from experience, the sailing days for me and my sister were always great fun, can laze around out by the pools, go to the cinema etc and have plenty of time to get ready for dinner.. our favourite part of the day!! We were so lucky to have excellent waiters and waitresses on board who were chatty and made dinner so enjoyable. I'm happy to give you any advice you want.

My family have only ever sailed Cunard, so we are looking forward to sailing P&O this year, although we love the QE2 so much, my sister and I are a bit worried we might not enjoy it as much! But there's no harm in trying it and I'm sure we'll have a great time. We're also a bit worried that we are going in early July, when most of the schools here haven't yet broken up for summer, so we're wondering if there won't be many people our ages. Have you ever sailed early July or know roughly how many people 16-19/20 ish there are on board at this time?

Hello again

A lot of teens will have completed exams by July so I suspect that there may be quite a few on this cruise. Where are you going???

I have done most of my cruising with P & O. Oceana is not my favourite ship. I prefer Aurora. Also went to visit the Arcadia recently before her naming ceremony. Very modern ship and so impressed booked an aft suite for just me and my husband next summer (feel my kids are taking the mickey a bit having 3 holidays themselves this year)!!!!! They can arrange to do something themselves next summer too. I have to say though that Oceana is an OK ship. I think everyone has their favourites. You never know Aurora may be toppled by the QM2 on my return.

One thing to forewarn you about the Oceana's self service buffet area. It has plastic cups and plates etc. Cutlery is normal. I think this is a cast off from when the ship was a Princess ship. A lot of people complain about it. I am still unsure about it. It is a very good idea safety wise if you are going outside with the plate to eat your food. Personally I don't like eating outside and would always eat inside and then go back outside.

If you have any questions specifically just ask. I'll be happy to try and answer them.

Elaine

We are doing a Canary Islands Cruise...I've never been to the Canaries so am looking forward to it!

Feel like I'm constantly going to be comparing it to Cunard though, so don't know if I'll be disappointed. I hope not!

If I have any questions, I will ask. Thanks for your help!

Hi again youngQE2cruiser

My daughter has gone off to Tenerife today from Luton Airport. I feel like part of me is missing. We are very close. She rang a while back to say they had arrived safely. Gone with her best friend from school. I hope they have a good two weeks away but I am looking forward to her coming back. Only drawback was her luggage. Being used to taking everything including the kitchen sink on a cruise it was a bit of a shock when her baggage more than the 20kg allowance. I think it weighted 27kg!! But she didn't have much hand luggage which they allow 5kg each for so in total their bags were only 2kg over and the girl let them off this end.

I am sure you will enjoy your cruise. You will find it very difficult not to compare. Even I do between ships within the same fleet. When my husband and I went on the QE2 a couple of years ago we had a princess grill cabin. He thought the food was better than P & O but I felt it was about the same. Of course in the grills you can order off menu which is what I think he liked. You will have to let me know when you get back what you thought of Oceana.

Elaine

Archived