Maasdam vs. Zuiderdam

drogers100

First time cruiser here.

I had been looking into the Oct 2 cruise on the Zuiderdam but have since found what appears to be a good deal for the Oct 26 cruise on the Maasdam. If I elect the Maasdam cruise I can drive to the port 2 1/2 from where I live vs. flying to FLL. Also the Maasdam is 10 nights vs 7 nights for the Zuiderdam. My question is for a couple in ther late 30's and early 40's which ship would you pick for a first time cruise? And is a 10 night cruise too long for a first cruise?

Off topic a bit, would you choose the E. Caribbean over Bermuda for a first cruise?

Thanks Derrick

Our first three cruises were on the Veendam, Maasdam and Zaandam. We just finished a 5/21 cruise on the Zuiderdam. We both prefer the smaller ships like the 1st 3. The Zuiderdam is a very nice ship, but we both noticed the increased number of passengers. We really, really enjoy the "at sea" days (very relaxing) and those days were more crowded on the Zuiderdam. Now, people we cruised with that were used to the larger Carnival, Princess and Royal Carribbean didn't have the same reaction. Right now we are trying to find a cruise on one of the smaller ships that works for us.

The HAL ships are very similar--the main things we noticed were:

1) The promenade deck is really a straight shot on each side of the ship on the smaller ones--on the Zuiderdam there's more obstacles and juttings--you can still do the circuit, but it seems awkward.

2) The only additional "feature" that we found was the Northern Lights Disco, in addition to the Crow's Nest. We only went to Northern Lights on trivia nights and left as soon as the game was over. The seating area is covered in black/white cowhide--my husband commented that he felt like he was sitting in a Gateway box...:eek:

3) The food stations in the Lido are more individualized on the Zui. On the smaller ships, there's 2 long ones. The Zuiderdam has individual Italian, Bistro, Deli, Wok, dessert, etc. We've never minded the all-inclusive lines, but some people don't like waiting for just one or 2 items. (We've never taken just 1 or 2 items, so that's probably why we don't mind :o )

We had people tell us we were nuts to start with a 7-day,(everyone suggested 3 or 5) in case we didn't like it (I WISH we'd done 10 days). We actually plan to go to Bermuda soon--we also prefer the Eastern Caribbean over Western, but that's a personal choice.

Good luck and I know you'll love your first cruise! (be careful, it's addicting...;) )

The Zuiderdam is a little more elaborate , and it is newer and in better condition than the Maasdam, but the Maasdam is more intimate and is also very luxurious. I would pick the E. Caribbean cruise over Bermuda for a first cruise. I think for a first-timer, a 7-day cruise is better, but if you enjoy it, I'd always look to do 10 days in the future.

We,ve only been on one cruise, on the Westerdam, a sister ship to the Zuiderdam. After 7 days were not at all interested in getting off of the ship! and, in the winter, at least, it was a giant pain in the neck flying to FLL. Over 400 people missed our sailing due to weather airport closings. The same shouldn't be true in October, but flying anywhere is a great big headache anytime!

I think we would have enjoyed the smaller ship just as much, if not more than the Vista class, and an additional 3 days would have been great. Keep in mind that the Maasdam IS significantly smaller than the Vista ships. If that appeals to you then I would go for it.

Maasdam next to Westerdam at HMC:

Day6032.JPG.92ffd1dac4d0efba4f33e62c0767a93f.JPG

DW and I did this exact cruise (Maasdam from Norfolk/10 day EC) for our first ever cruise, last fall, and loved it. We have 10 years on you, but consider ourselves active. There are more sea days on this cruise due to Norfolk's distance from the Caribbean, but once there it is fairly port intensive. More variety, imo, than just a cruise to Bermuda.

Some observations:

You will be among the younger people onboard (tho we had a honeymooning couple in their 20s), and demographics on all cruises skew older on longer cruises (10 day vs. 7 day). This is a factor for some.

There will be three (3) formal nights. Also a deal breaker for some.

Travel through "the graveyard of the Atlantic" will be rocky. Bad weather may affect the ships itinerary or transit time. It will cause the pools to experience tsunami.

You can be as active as you care to in the ports, which are great ones; lots to do.

Good luck and have a great cruise whichever.

MarkB

Derrick- Just wondering what the third ship is that you are looking at, as neither the Zuiderdam nor the Maasdam sail to Bermuda.

EDIT: Just answered my own question looking at your other posts on another thread. No one loves Bermuda more than I, and I have also sailed on the Zenith, but my choice for your first cruise would definetely be the Maasdam. You can drive to Norfolk and save flight $$ which you mentioned was important, the Maasdam is wonderful and very much an elegant HAL cruise, and the length/itinerary of the cruise is terrific. Don't worry about age- you're not too young for the Maasdam! :D

I would take the Maasdam. It's a nice ship. Driving to the port is SO nice - it really makes it easy. We have taken the 10 & 11 day cruise on the Maasdam from Norfolk. Norfolk is a very interesting port. A lot to do in the area if you drive there. It's nice to have the "day at sea" on each end, too.

Whice ever you choose, you'll enjoy!

Happy sailing......

Gail

We cruised Maasdam over Thanksgiving 2003 and Zuiderdam over Thanksgiving 2004 (pics in my signature). Hubby and I were on either side of the 30-mark at that time. Just considering the ships, we both prefer Maasdam over Zuiderdam for some of the same reasons as stated above: more intimate, more of a "classy" feeling onboard, and we loved the smaller size/layout. Even afternoon tea seemed to be a couple notches above afternoon tea on Zuiderdam.

And ten versus seven days? Yep, we're hooked now, and would love to try a 10-day. :) We married while on an Eastern Caribbean cruise - lots of beautiful beaches to choose from.

Enjoy your first cruise! As others have said, yes, cruising is definitely addictive.:D

Archived